• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW 1200GS 18k Mile Maintenance

Reaction score
Hello board. For my first real post I have a question about the 18k mile maintenance for an R1200GS. I got a quote today from the local BMW dealer in Austin for the 18k mile service without an oil change and it was $510. I bought the bike last week with 17,850 miles knowing the 18k was needed. However researching it looked like that generally cost was $350-$400 with getting the oil changed. I bought the bike at a non-BMW dealer and they did the oil change with the recommended Synthetic oil, and I'm confident that was done right. So when I got the quote for $510 with no oil change that was a bit off from I expected. Does that sound like a normal price for the 18k mile scheduled maintenance without an oil change?

Cuznbob just replaced a clutch slave cylinder, flushed the brake fluid on my ABS II system, installed stainless brake lines and fixed a couple of other small issues he found while he had the plastic off of my R1150RT. His work was meticulous and his pricing fair.

What year R1200GS? Pre-water cooled 18K service is easy and I have the tools and a GS-911 to reset service reminders. Not sure what is involved for the water cooled at 18k though.

Thanks for the replies. I sent a message over to CruznBob to see how much his service will cost. Also thanks again for not blasting me for wincing at the cost of something on a BMW. I was under the impression the maintenance intervals were expensive and what the dealer here quoted me wasn't crazy, but from what I read on that service it wasn't expected. The 24k mile service I'm expecting to get up near 4 figures :-?.

WoodButcher: I might hit you up on the tools offer, it's a 2011 so it's still an air/oil cooled GS. I'm not really afraid to wrench my own bike, I did it with my Triumph the last couple of years. However I have never owned a BMW and there is basically no service record on this one. My hope was to have someone that is familiar with the gremlins of BMW's to check it out, at least for the first maintenance bit here. Also I bought this bike without the wife really being on board and $300 I can spend on maintenance with out getting her too bent out of shape. However $500+ days after I bought it, I will have to do some politicking at home.....

You have a good strategy. Robert (Cuznbob) does mine service every once in a while so I get a second set of eyes on it. He used to work for the BMW dealership before Woods took it over so he's BMW certified and had done a lot of my service when it went to the dealership.

Glad to help you out on the next service or if Robert is too busy.

FYI, he mounts tires (off the bike) quickly and for a good price too. And can order tires too.

Thanks for that suggestion of CuznBobs. His price for the maintenance was $300 cheaper. So I'm going to bring it there for at least the 18k mile service.

Last edited:
Good, glad we could help. Hope you are as happy with him as we have been.

Back