• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How much play is normal?

Nope ... Jt brand.

09 XR650L

https://photos.smugmug.com/2009XR650L/i-p6QkBwX/0/d3e75cdd/1280/XR_Sprocket-1280.mp4

New countershaft sprocket installed.

Is this much play normal?

No Workie for me

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• no workie.jpg
    no workie.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 332
The stock XRL sprocket doesn't engage the full width of the splines on the output shaft and will cause uneven wear of the splines. That is the reason most go with an XRR front sprocket which does utilize the full width. You definitely want to make sure you have the shaft and sprocket clean with a good coat of grease between them.

I think I remember reading that you install the XRR sprocket backwards on the XRL. Possibly a little grinding required also.

_

Correct - get the XRR sprocket and a dremel and spend some quality time adding a slight chamfer to the splines on the inside. Takes maybe 20 to 30 seconds of attention per spline. Then install backwards (part you ground down facing engine). After that, it should be totally wiggle-free.

The original link worked fine for me :shrug:

It displays as if it is truncated, not sure why the forum software does this, but if you hover your mouse pointer over it, you will see that the link is actually complete .

Also replace that worn retainer!
I have never been a fan of the wobbly sprocket mounting method. I don’t know why they do that.

I think I remember reading that you install the XRR sprocket backwards on the XRL. Possibly a little grinding required also.

_

Yes and I use a ball stone that's a little larger than the opening so it will grind all of the splines evenly. It doesn't take much.

Yup along with new fasteners.

I went with a sprocket designed to use all the spline width and be aligned with the rear sprocket.

Fitzco Inc out of Hockley

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XR65...TACT-DOUBLE-LIFE-FRONT-SPROCKET-/332540115801

Sprocket, retainer and fasteners are due this weekend.

That's the best option. Fritz just started making those sprockets a few years ago after everyone started using XRR sprockets. His sprockets maintain alignment. And like Rod said, use a new retainer at every sprocket change.

He seems like a decent enough fellow ...

Back