• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

10th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/30-8/3/18 Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! That's exactly the kind of trail my teenage son and I are looking for. Hope there are more like that. Just waiting for the drought restrictions to be lifted to book my cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those videos are deceiving though, shot about the same spot on the trail, there are plenty of rocks, especially on the Benson Ridge end. And the Russia Canyon side has a technical uphill near the start. I have to do some bike ferrying but the good parts are worth it.

Russia Canyon side of Lucas Canyon.​
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgR2vO2PhlM"]Lucas Canyon Trail (T251) - YouTube[/ame]

The forest is not closed, on stage II - https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd580670.pdf #7. is always prohibited, regardless of the forest conditions. There is a sign coming up the hill from Alamogordo on US82 with roughly the same message, year round.

The forest got rain last night, not much in town though, where it's monitored.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/lincoln/home

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g6fJbgXMWE"]Fire Restriction Education - Stage 2 - YouTube[/ame]

1/10 of an inch in weed according to my friend. There's a chance for rain several days in the forecast though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Still open

42737409012_4fe1f0500e_o.jpg

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/lincoln/home

They got a 1/2 inch today with more in the forecast - http://www.cloudcroftweather.com/wxcurrent.php

Still open

They got a 1/2 inch today with more in the forecast -

Glad to see even a little bit of rain at this point. Hopefully the monsoon season will deliver some more regular precipitation.

I torture myself almost daily by checking on the temperature in Cloudcroft vs. out here in Midland. These extended stretches of 100+ high temperatures are really motivating me to get to Cloudcroft for a break from the heat.

So my plans to attend this event are nixed due to a new job, which I'll be starting on 6/25. I can however go next week though.

Problem is there shows to be a 30% up to 50% chance of rain. Can anyone really familiar with the area comment of how that relates? Does the area get all day rains this time of year, or short spurts then clear up for the balance of the day? Is 30-50% really worth even being concerned about, or is it like some high elevation areas where that is almost certain to not happen until the % chance gets higher?

I hate possibly missing the chance to go out there this summer, so a little wet won't deter me. A daily deluge, all day is a different matter though.

Thanks,
John

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We did not get half an inch out here in the forest. Maybe a tenth or two. Another tenth so far today but Saturday is is supposed to rain all day. it is tinder dry here. No green grass--everything brown. However some moisture should get it green again fast We are close to the monsoon season which will be critical this year.

I think you guys should be good for your ride.

So my plans to attend this event are nixed due to a new job, which I'll be starting on 6/25. I can however go next week though.

Problem is there shows to be a 30% up to 50% chance of rain. Can anyone really familiar with the area comment of how that relates? Does the area get all day rains this time of year, or short spurts then clear up for the balance of the day? Is 30-50% really worth even being concerned about, or is it like some high elevation areas where that is almost certain to not happen until the % chance gets higher?

I hate possibly missing the chance to go out there this summer, so a little wet won't deter me. A daily deluge, all day is a different matter though.

Thanks,
John

All I can tell you is past history of course. Our experience during the monsoon season (which is during the ride) - "Most days there will be a shower somewhere in the forest, usually easily avoided by watching the sky, that also keeps the dust down or eliminates it completely. If a road or trail is too wet, like the three bears you can usually find one that is just right."

Like Texas weather we have gotten soaked on low %age chance of rain days and not seen rain or just avoided it on higher %age days. More often than not the rain has been spotty, but yes we have lost full days. Not more than 3 full wash out days in 45 planned ride days. But of course Mother nature does what she wants...and it depends where you are, I've sat under tree when a cell parked overhead, watching blue in the distance. Opinions and experiences will vary greatly.

Current conditions
http://cloudcroftweather.com/

Well, looks like I'm going to give it a whirl. I'll be driving in Monday. Sorry I'll be missing the event and meeting a bunch more riders!

Thanks.

Frog strangler rain today at the Cabinita 200 yards from the rim trail. Beautiful and so much needed.

Just booked our cabin! Won't get there until the evening of August 1st unfortunately because of work but staying through August 5th. Bringing my teenage son in tow (he's excited) and looking forward to riding with you guys. :rider:

Not a good start to the 2nd day...

Stuck on T105 and cant get the bike stood back up

Not a good start to the 2nd day...

Stuck on T105 and cant get the bike stood back up

Ouch. Hopefully you are riding nothing larger than a 450 size bike on T105.

Take your time - let your body recover - respect the altitude. You will get wheels side down soon - slow and steady!

Was on (and off) the FE501, so not too heavy. I finally got it upright after building a log cabin on the hillside to stand on and lift. Took 2 hours or so...

Did the rest and feel like I've been kicked from all directions. I got a branch remnant to the chest when I went off, so I'll have a war wound (see the fallen tree in the lower right).
4ad5e114f4b070c0c44f0a4f71cbc1f8.jpg

Can't make the ride the full week but I am meeting another Sidewinder member in Cloudcroft Tuesday night the 31st for the ride and expect to return to San Antonio Aug 4th. Not looking forward to this drive by myself. Anyone interested in riding together? I can drive (have a trailer) or ride with someone.
Text me at 210-383-9887 if interested.

I’ve just came back from 4 days in the area.
It’s was sooooo good (even on a heavy 800cc bike).
The weather and trail conditions were perfect.

Enjoy!

BTW we stayed at the Spruce cabins, which was ok, and there is a “natural” ramp near it, which made unloading and loading the bikes to/from the truck much easier

I just got back from camping around Cloudcroft, in Lincoln NF. Anyway, I find one of the quickest ways there is out I10, the hook north on 285 in Ft Stockton. If going to Cloudcroft, turn east/left in Artesia.

That route is much less stressful, but you miss all the 80 mph of I-10 So I think it's probably a wash as far as time goes.
But I seem to like less stress the older I get....

Ohhh what did you get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back