• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where you gonna run now

We got your Six Support your local Sheriff YEP:thumb:

Last edited:
There is the trinity river at 360 that has been popular with ohv folks for many years despite it being illegal.
Those will be handy for chasing folks there.

Seems there is a little over thinking going on here! I don't think the sky is falling.

I don't think it's an issue of people thinking the "sky is falling", some folks just don't like to see the constant expansion of police into every aspect of life.

Time to move this thread to off topic if you wanna continue the police state comments. Big group there happy to start discussing that but please not here.

Thanks for the moto related post Rob. Nice bikes, nice story especially with the Bill Dragoo training.

_

:shrug: From the time I was about 12 until about 16 the whole area of Southside and Wedgewood was our dirt bike park. The Armory was a small set of trails near the corner of McCart and 810 that is now a fester of you-store-it buildings. Larnigan's field was a huge space at the corner of McCart and West Cleburne Road. S&H was an unfinished development behind the S&H Greenstamp distribution center on Seminary drive. We used to ride every alley, railroad right of way and bicycle trail trying to stay off of the pavement where we might be ticketed. No unfenced plot off ground was off limits and you could bet that if a squad car pulled up at one entrance we had three exits he couldn't use. We thought we were okay despite having people literally chase us off for the noise of running open expansion champers.

Then I grew up and became the runner and bicycle rider on the Trinity River trail being pelted by a stray rock as some kid shot by just off the path on a dirt bike. About three years ago, we had a kid clip someone on the sidewalk near our house while riding a minibike. One of the homeowners, a lawyer, started talking personal liability. As bad as it made me feel, because I was once that kid, I had to talk to the kid's parents about him riding through my yard.

The thing about speed traps is that you have to be speeding for them to work. We're free to take our dirt bikes to any cycle park or ride them with the owners approval on private land. I can't fault the Fort Worth police for having tools they need to catch people breaking the law.

I don't know about FW but it seems some large cities having been having problems with gangs on stolen dirt bikes and atv's. Maybe a reaction or preparation.

I've always felt for the officers pedaling mountain bikes with full gear on (kevlar, gun belt, etc.) in 95deg heat. These won't replace bicycle cops all together, but it should allow a select group to to patrol a much wider area with better efficiency.

I'm as wary of over-reaching government intrusion as much as anybody, but I certainly don't see this as being that. I doubt they're hiring additional cops to man these bikes. I see it as a way for officers to more quickly access out of the way areas. When you have a trail system that is miles long responding to an issue there on foot (or even bicycles) can take quite a while...and then it may be too late. It will also allow them to patrol the areas more regularly and attempt to quell whatever issues may be going on.

They'll also be great tools when searching for lost children, getting help to someone with a medical emergency, and countless other emergencies that can happen in areas not accessible to squad cars.

if America is the land of the free, explain income tax to me??:lol2:

Freedom ain't cheap just ask your grandad that served in WWII if he made it home .

I can see a good dirt bike as a very handy tool in urban settings , I ride my bikes into town occasionally and I have to fight the urge to jump curbs , cut thru parking lots and other hooligan behavior just simply because it's so easy to do . And shame on anything on the road when you get in some kick butt twistys with a dirt bike , it's almost a sin to have a motard wheel set when you do it . I know I've passed more than my share of cruisers with a ear to ear grin on a full blown dirt bike with tags on it .

Time to move this thread to off topic if you wanna continue the police state comments. Big group there happy to start discussing that but please not here.

Thanks for the moto related post Rob. Nice bikes, nice story especially with the Bill Dragoo training.

_

Thanks Dave, wasn't trying to start a leo bashing thread. Just thought it was neat!

Freedom ain't cheap just ask your grandad that served in WWII if he made it home .

I can see a good dirt bike as a very handy tool in urban settings , I ride my bikes into town occasionally and I have to fight the urge to jump curbs , cut thru parking lots and other hooligan behavior just simply because it's so easy to do . And shame on anything on the road when you get in some kick butt twistys with a dirt bike , it's almost a sin to have a motard wheel set when you do it . I know I've passed more than my share of cruisers with a ear to ear grin on a full blown dirt bike with tags on it .

well he is dead so I cant ask him. he got T-boned by a speeding trash truck.
he also was in a war critical job working for the rail road that denied him from joining regular army so when he wasn't keeping trains running he was with state guard patrolling and guarding rail bridges.

my little crf250l is a laugh riot down town Fort Worth and I have jumped curbs and ripped down side walks on it. :oops:

Wow, enduros to chase down joggers and bicyclists? That's a rather sad state of affairs.

Probably not chasing down joggers and bicyclists. Our world is going down hill fast. As Ann Coulter wrote, ¡ADIOS, AMERICA!

:shrug: ... I can't fault the Fort Worth police for having tools they need to catch people breaking the law.

Rather sad state of affairs that this is necessary.

I don't know about FW but it seems some large cities having been having problems with gangs on stolen dirt bikes and atv's. Maybe a reaction or preparation.

I doubt LEOs will risk racing squids--big liability issue on walk paths and such. However, these bikes will definitely aid in intercepting and trailing. SURPRISE!!!!! Can't outrun that radio, and between these bikes, helicopters, a few cruisers, and a horse trailer, the squids can be had. I've been told many squids are on stolen bikes, so maybe some folks will get their toys back and the squids will do so time for possession of stolen goods. There is significant potential for something good to come out of this, at least good body cam videos of some trail rides.

Back