• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cloudcroft NM, Aug

Jbay

Reaction score
would drive in Wed 26th and drive out Sun the 30th

leaves three days of trail riding

im not looking for anything too technical or ride too much, Rim Trail, Willie White, Lucas Canyon, etc

thinking about tent camping near Willie White

anyone interested? not 100% I can go yet

Last edited:
Re: Cloudcroft NM, Aug 26-30

Never been to Cloudcroft so have questions. What type of bike? Needs to be street legal or unplated dirt bike is okay? All out and backs from camping location? What type of fuel range needed to be safe? Is your tent camping location primitive or campground with water, facilities, etc.?

_

best to be street legal to connect trails
but you can drive to the Rim Trail and ride unplated or do other routes unplated
should get the Texas OHV sticker
all out and back
I have 2.25 gal tank so maybe 80 miles at most, Im not looking to explore

Willie White Trail is at Bluff Springs primitive camping http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lincoln/recarea/?recid=40310
really just has an outhouse

showers available at RV places or set up a camp shower
restaurants in town
also hotels and cabins in town

what type of bike.... Id say the lighter the better

Can't answer everything but...

The trails JBay mentions are small bike trails. It's pretty much pure rock - mostly about softball size and not glued together at all. Roots and loose hill climbs add to the experience. Steering dampers are just peachy around there.

Plated is (technically) required. You can dodge roads for the most part but it's a lot nicer if you don't have to. There are lots of trails but not all in one area. Out and back would mean covering the same ground a good bit.

Fuel range just depends on how many trails you string together for your loops. We had a pretty ambitious loop last trip and Fluffy Bill was riding his smoker. We made it back but he was on fumes. Most trails are not fast terrain so it ain't so much the mileage as it is time and endurance.

I love riding CC but my hind quarters can only handle about three days of it. The Rim trail alone is well worth the trip out there.

Good clear answers thanks Jbay and RG.

Seriously interested in this, barely plated KTM 300 smoker with ~ 90 mile fuel range at that altitude. When do you think you might be making the commitment for the trip?

_

Ooh, very interested... tell me more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's like this...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-78EvT1-M"]Rim Trail Cloudcroft NM #2 - YouTube[/ame]

Ill look for a cabin if there is interest

gonna clear it with work this week

Can't answer everything but...

The trails JBay mentions are small bike trails. It's pretty much pure rock - mostly about softball size and not glued together at all. Roots and loose hill climbs add to the experience. Steering dampers are just peachy around there.

Plated is (technically) required. You can dodge roads for the most part but it's a lot nicer if you don't have to. There are lots of trails but not all in one area. Out and back would mean covering the same ground a good bit.

Fuel range just depends on how many trails you string together for your loops. We had a pretty ambitious loop last trip and Fluffy Bill was riding his smoker. We made it back but he was on fumes. Most trails are not fast terrain so it ain't so much the mileage as it is time and endurance.

I love riding CC but my hind quarters can only handle about three days of it. The Rim trail alone is well worth the trip out there.

That was a great day of riding!!!!

I'm interested in the cabin notion, but I've also got a big *** tent.

Not 100% that I'm in yet though...but I do need a break in the worst way!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

wife want to go so I think we are going next week before school starts

Ill bring the 500 just in case

sorry for the confusion :doh:

wife want to go so I think we are going next week before school starts

Ill bring the 500 just in case

sorry for the confusion :doh:

Understandable, family always comes first.

Since you already planted the seed, no reason this thread cannot carry on in your absence though.

Anyone else that knows the trails there still want to go? Original plan and dates are still interesting to me. I'm flexible for either cabin or tent camping. I have a two rail trailer I can pull with my economy car or I could buy and install a third rail but would need someone's larger vehicle to pull it. Would need to order third rail asap though as not sure how fast Kendon ships.

_

I really want to ride that area. My daughter went last year, and said it was great fun. Might be interested if a mid Sept ride developed. I have to be totally moved out of my house in Houston by Sept 9th. After 26 years on the same property, I am totally overwhelmed with the chore of clearing out of the place. Anything before mid Sept just doesn't work for me. The Oct dates are a bit too close to the Galeana Mexico departure dates, so won't be able to get in on that one either. But one of these days I'm going to make it over there. Tent camping is fine for me. If a group wanted to split a cabin, that works too. Isn't it starting to get kinda cold and maybe a little snowy by Oct in the Rockies... Or is that more at the end of Oct?

In Cloudcroft now preparing for our 5th day of riding. We trailered to the trailhead each day the first year but plated is much easier.

There are also lots of forest service roads to explore.

The Spruce cabins give a 10 percent discount to motorcycle riders.

The high temperature here yesterday was 68, same forecast for today.

The high temperature here yesterday was 68, same forecast for today.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's exactly why I was thinking it might be a wee bit chilly there by second week of October. Seems like that third week of Sept should be perfect! :trust:

The high temperature here yesterday was 68, same forecast for today.

Yup, that's exactly why I was thinking it might be a wee bit chilly there by second week of October. Seems like that third week of Sept should be perfect! :trust:[/QUOTE]

Somebody going 3rd week?
Never been.

They could be! I am pushing for mid Sept, mostly because that is as soon as I could go. But it should be a nice time to visit. Should be into the Fall up there, with all the great colors. And hopefully that will be before the overnight mercury, or any white stuff starts to drop.

Interested, get Rsquared(Roger) to lead us and Silverbullet and we'd be set!

Hmm, I think I feel another Cloud Croft ride developing. This thread is like a ride storm vortex... it is spinning 'em off all over the Calendar!

Good, that means we should only have to see the 40s for overnight lows in September.

Interested, get Rsquared(Roger) to lead us and Silverbullet and we'd be set!

Y'all holler if you firm this up and I will show you around up there on a Saturday or maybe a Friday if I can get off work. I know a trail or two to ride.

Back