• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

Great to ride with everyone today, couldn't have asked fro better weather.

Richard, at the post ride eat and talk, the topic of 2018's ride routes came up. Are you planning on running the same routes as 2017?

Richard, at the post ride eat and talk, the topic of 2018's ride routes came up. Are you planning on running the same routes as 2017?

I was planning on using the same routes in 2018. When I came up with the 12 routes I worked to a) have as little duplication as possible and b) take into account the likely weather (colder in winter, so shorter rides). Since every month is a different route we will only ride a particular route once per year.

All that being said, I'm open to suggestions for different routes.

I second that Gourdhead -- great ride, great weather, and thanks for the trays at Easy Tiger. I will have to get back there some time soon. See you all out on the road.

Stephen

Had a great time.
Richard thanks for organizing all of these rides. The folks are fantastic and the rides are great. So great I travel 3 hours from Houston to make these rides.
Thanks Mike for the food, what a treat. Exceptional food.
I am going to get my son and his girlfriend to make it over to Easy Tiger.
It was good meeting and riding with everyone.
Have a great Christmas and see you all after the new year.

Enjoyed the ride, Cow Creek is one of the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad I opted for the "extended" adventure down some cool roads leading into Austin and through downtown to Easy Tiger http://www.easytigeraustin.com/ Good food, company and free magic show.
Thanks to Mike for the treat!

easytiger-sm.jpg

Attachments

• easytiger-sm.jpg
    easytiger-sm.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 214
The view from that road was pretty spectacular. I need to go out there with a camera sometime.

Thanks for a great time, it was nice to meet everyone, names and online names are a little tough. Thanks for the great German Beirgarten treat Mike, a great place ya'll have there.

I originally started out to do a Dam to Dam loop before I found out about this group, as it turns out we crossed 2 dams and were a stones throw from the 3rd one in Marble Falls. I can't believe I had never done Cow Creek with it so close to me, it is amazing. The ride from Oatmeal back to 1431 was really a great new find also. The impromptu trip to downtown was fun too.

I work Saturdays, so might not be able to do another official ride, (I was on vacation) although I am eager to put some Sunday rides together. Being a mostly dirt guy, I felt a bit like a Power Ranger in red gear, but it really didn't matter and you all made me feel welcome, thanks.

The Austin TARA (Texas Adventure Riders Association) Chapter sponsors a monthly dual sport adventure ride the first Saturday of every month. All riders are invited to attend.

We meet at 8:30 am in the Planet Fitness parking lot, 7100 W. US Hwy 290 Service Rd, Austin, 78736. Stands up at 9 am. Please have a full tank of gas when you show up.

There is a Jim’s restaurant next door – come early if you want to eat before we leave.

Every month we ride a different route, to keep things interesting. The planned routes include both paved and off-pavement riding and are suitable for any street-legal dual sport adventure bike. You can download the route gps files below.

There is no designated ride leader for the monthly ride (i.e. no one is in charge). Riders self-organize into small groups and then enjoy a fun day in the Texas hill country.

Austin monthly dual sport ride routes:
Jan: Fulton Ranch Road
Feb: Luckenbach
Mar: Willow City Loop
April: San Saba
May: Castell
June: Blanco/Johnson City
July: Wimberley
Aug: Spicewood
Sep: Acker Road/Kendalia
Oct: James River
Nov: Llano
Dec: Lime Creek Road

You can download the route gps files here.
Can anyone help me figure out how to open a gpx file? I downloaded it to my iPhone but could not open it .

Darrell

I use MotionX on my iPhone, works well enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Riders,

While it has been cold this week, we will see a general warming trend over the weekend with Saturday's high forecasted to be 59 degrees.

Therefore, the first Austin monthly ride of 2018, scheduled for this Saturday, Jan 6th, is a go. It may be a little brisk on your ride over to the meeting spot, but the weatherman assures me it will warm rapidly and we will have a great ride.

See you there.

I am going to try to make this.
Trailering from Houston.
Sleeping in my vehicle in Wal Mart parking lot in Austin Friday night.
All part of the Adventure.
See everyone Saturday morning.

Trail Boss and Austin riding is the best there is.

Last edited:
Richard, I haven't taken a look at the route yet. Is this a Strom ride or a DRZ ride?

Richard, I haven't taken a look at the route yet. Is this a Strom ride or a DRZ ride?

It's more of a Strom ride but either bike will be fine - we won't be spending much time at 70 mph and there isn't any dirt.

The route is 100 miles in length and is all pavement. It consists mostly of fun, twisty county roads and a few state highways as transitions between.

I'm considering adding 50 miles to the loop for my group. If so, it will include one slick water crossing of the Blanco river, west of Wimberley but will add an exceptional set of twisties off the Fischer Store Road. You can make it across the crossing on a big bike.

Extended route sounds good. I'll have to meet the group somewhere on route. Will look at the map and find a meeting point.

I'll meetup with the group in Driftwood. Will this work for the extended route?

Here is the link to the alternate route I'm planning on running. It is 150 miles, has a few miles of gravel roads, and has one slick low water crossing. It also has some of the best twisty roads between Austin and Blanco.

Jan 6 alternate route in .gpx format.

Back