• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Let's talk Nikon body hand straps...

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab So the neck strap is more often annoying than useful. Moreover, because I use the back button focusing method that separates the focusing from the shutter release button, I often have my thumb pulled back from the body so I can manipulate the controls. The problem is that it makes it difficult to keep the base of the thumb securely against the back of the camera so I can keep a secure grip on it. So I have to use my left hand more often to stabilize the camera, which them makes it hard to manipulate the lens or other body controls with that hand :doh: So I was thinking a hand strap might be nice.

:tab Do you have one or have you used one? Thoughts?

The five people that have left reviews for the Nikon strap all really seem to like it:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Hand-Strap-plate-AH-4/dp/B004J0XYQY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: Nikon Hand Strap II w/ plate AH-4 Hand Grip: Camera & Photo[/ame]

I don't have experience with that item, but you might consider the extended battery grip. That gives you substantially more surface area to grab on with your right hand. I shot four hours yesterday, camera in the right hand, eye to the cup and was still using my right thumb on the wheel moving focus points around.

:tab I have the MD-11 for my body. It does help, kind of like the extender on a gun magazine that lets you get the pinky on the grip. Maybe is just the size/shape of my hand, but I have a hard time keeping the base of my thumb (the part that is part of the palm) against the body tight enough to keep the body from slipping around.

I've got no experience with a hand strap. I've got a Black Rapid strap and haven't looked back. 9 times out of 10 I'm not going to want the camera strapped to my hand the whole time. I love the BR because it hangs at my side, freeing my hands, but also is just a quick grab away from being ready.

I've got no experience with a hand strap. I've got a Black Rapid strap and haven't looked back. 9 times out of 10 I'm not going to want the camera strapped to my hand the whole time. I love the BR because it hangs at my side, freeing my hands, but also is just a quick grab away from being ready.

Which one? There are a mess load of Black Rapid straps!

Which one? There are a mess load of Black Rapid straps!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-RRS-1BB-Sport-RS-Sport-Black/dp/B005HWC6PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360016447&sr=8-1&keywords=black+rapid+sport"]http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-RRS-1BB-Sport-RS-Sport-Black/dp/B005HWC6PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360016447&sr=8-1&keywords=black+rapid+sport[/ame]

I still find myself using the neck strap all the time. But I mainly do two types of photography; off camera flash, and tripod work. The Black Rapid uses the tripod mount so that is out for me, and when doing off camera flash work it is really nice to let the camera dangle while you adjust the position of a light or reflector. I would hate to set that thing down every time I needed to make an adjustment.

Good point Bill on the bottom threaded mount. My body keeps the tripod mount on it all the time, so either I'd have to get used to swapping it or not do it. What I find is, I carry my camera on the shoulder strap most all of the time, except when its on the tripod. Can't say I every use it around my neck....

I still find myself using the neck strap all the time. But I mainly do two types of photography; off camera flash, and tripod work. The Black Rapid uses the tripod mount so that is out for me, and when doing off camera flash work it is really nice to let the camera dangle while you adjust the position of a light or reflector. I would hate to set that thing down every time I needed to make an adjustment.

I guess I never thought of it as a disadvantage. I'm usually either shooting with a tripod or not, not both. If I'm using a tripod, I usually leave the camera attached to it or pull it off and put it in my bag.

Everyone's different, just need to find what fits you. :thumb:

I run a SmugMug neck strap and just wrap it around my hand 3x. I now know exactly where to start wrapping, so I still have a neck strap, but I carry it with it wrapped around my wrist when I'm actively shooting. On long hikes, sometimes I run it cross-body.

I guess I never thought of it as a disadvantage. I'm usually either shooting with a tripod or not, not both. If I'm using a tripod, I usually leave the camera attached to it or pull it off and put it in my bag.

I'm the same way. For portraits I seldom use a tripod, but very often use off camera flash setups. So that combo for me would be very frustrating if I had to keep setting the camera down to make adjustments. Then when I am using a tripod for more outdoor, natural light stuff I would want my plate on the bottom of the camera. Sure I guess I could pull the plate off and secure a bottom mount strap, but I guess I am too lazy.

However... I am looking into these as they are the best of all things in one package.

I used one for a while on a Leica DMR9. They take getting used to, and you can't put the focus on the thumb on those old Leica's, so I never tried that. I liked it, especially with long lenses as you can really control the camera totally with one hand. I hardly ever use neck straps - my camera is either in my hand or in a bag. The hand strap allows you to dangle the camera from your hand instead of needing to death-grip it at all times.

So, I liked it, but never bought one for any other camera - so I guess that shows how much I liked it. :)

I run a SmugMug neck strap and just wrap it around my hand 3x. I now know exactly where to start wrapping, so I still have a neck strap, but I carry it with it wrapped around my wrist when I'm actively shooting. On long hikes, sometimes I run it cross-body.

You are I are the same on this. That is exactly what I do.

Back