TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc. > Upcoming TARA Rides/Events

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #101
greenhornet
Forum Supporter

Re: Beyond Epic 5 - Ozark Rally, May 26-29, 2017

[quote=Tourmeister;1505588]Doh! Daniel is bummed about missing Jesse!

Actually, Jesse made a miraculous recovery and we are loaded up and heading out first thing in the AM! Thanks for wetting our appetite with those great pictures (except for the snake).
greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #102
Vinny
Forum Supporter

You guys have the spirit . Don't let a little rain ruin the long weekend. Have fun . I'm sorry I'm not there . Please make us jealous with your epic stories and pics
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #103
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
You guys have the spirit . Don't let a little brain ruin the long weekend. Have fun . I
I liked your pre edit post better. Lol
Weather forecasts are wrong more than they are right.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #104
kman

I'm out this year. Maybe next time.
07 BMW F650GS
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #105
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

I just finished over 200 miles of amazing twisty beautiful roads and another 30 miles of nice dirt roads. Weather was perfect 75 to 85 with broken clouds. I may try some of the dirt roads tomorrow on the Husky but don't feel like doing any big water alone...
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #106
WoodButcher
Administrator

We got in about 6pm. Not sure what we are doing tomorrow, but it will be pavement. Forecast looks good.

When I walk along some railroad track and find
That you're movin' on the back roads
By the rivers of my memory
And for hours you're just gentle on my mind
"Gentle On My Mind" - Glen Campbell

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #107
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

I saw some bikes out front of the hotel. I am at the bar just across the street. Reach out to me let me know what you are thinking for tomorrow. Five one two 406 one seven 96

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 CT90
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
Old 05-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #108
WoodButcher
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post
I saw some bikes out front of the hotel. I am at the bar just across the street. Reach out to me let me know what you are thinking for tomorrow. Five one two 406 one seven 96

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent you a PM with contact info. At Holiday Inn around the corner from you.

When I walk along some railroad track and find
That you're movin' on the back roads
By the rivers of my memory
And for hours you're just gentle on my mind
"Gentle On My Mind" - Glen Campbell

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:58 PM   #109
greenhornet
Forum Supporter

We are staying at the Best Western Sherwood. Just got back from a late Mt. Magazine run. I'm prolly heading to Wilderness riders' place tomorrow so Jesse can hook up with some kids on dirt bikes. Weather is looking good do far. Ya'll have fun. If you see a young guy on a beautiful red Grom, that's my son Daly. He will be riding pavement solo tomorrow while Jesse and I hit the ranch.
greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #110
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Left a Vm for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1968 CT90
Old 05-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #111
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Well, Daniel and I got to Clarksville around 3:00pm on Thursday. The weather was incredible. We checked in as fast as we could and unloaded my GS for a run up to Mt. Judea on 123 and then dirt back down the East side of the mountains to Falling Water Falls off Hwy 16. It was about 78 F and no humidity. Then we ran 123 back to Clarksville. There was a LOT of wildlife out and about!! The deer were kind enough to stand right out in the middle of the road so they were easier to spot. We got back to the hotel and hooked up with Mike (KubotaMike) and had dinner before calling it a day.

Friday we headed up to Donny's place and dropped off the truck and trailer. We unloaded the GS and worked our way East on back roads through Jasper and eventually up Yellville. From there we ran up to Peel ferry and then up 125 North. There was a bridge out on 125 at Brushy Creek. We got detour instructions from a construction worker that took us up over the mountains on Glade Top road and Skyline road. That plopped us back out on 125 just a mile or so north of the bridge and we were on our way. At MO H, we turned back South to US 160 and ran into Branson for some dinner. Then it was a back road blast back to Donny's place. We got in about 7:45pm, leaving just enough time to set up camp and unload the remaining bikes. Larry and his kids had just arrived and Ian and Debra arrived a few minutes before. That night we watched a nasty storm blow through Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri. The lightning show was impressive. We never got a drop of rain.

Saturday was hot and steamy, but the riding was incredible!! By the end of the day we were beat! Around 10:30pm, serious storms came blasting through the place. It was crazy winds, loud thunder, hail, etc,... until just after midnight. There was a short break where I got out of the trailer to see if the tent campers were still with us and the temp had really dropped!! They were a little wet but fine. Then the lightning got really wild, spreading out over our heads from horizon to horizon About 20 minutes later it started raining again, but not as hard. I was at least able to sleep through it. The first storm had the trailer rocking and it was LOUD inside. Daniel slept right through it without even twitching once. He was exhausted from the riding.

Sunday morning, it was drizzly and grey, but it burned off by 11:00am or so and got real pretty again. Everyone else went out for another long ride, but I stayed back and started getting stuff ready to go. That and I was just tired from a severe lack of sleep the last few days on top of the riding. The drive back to Clarksville was beautiful, cool and dry. We hooked up with Debbie, Erik, Camillo, Nadeem, and Rusty for dinner. Ian and Debra joined us as well. Apparently, they got into some rain closer to Clarksville and cut their ride short on Sunday.

We didn't hit any rain on the way back Monday. However, between Marshall and Carthage on US 59, there must have been a mess of tornadoes because there were downed trees, snapped in half trees, and huge branches EVERYWHERE. Quite a few were sticking out into the highway, even after crews had come through to cut most back so traffic could get through. I could see where some had come all the way across both lanes into the median!! A few homes had large trees down on the homes. Many had large trees down in their yards. Some had ALL their trees down. The damage went on for miles as we drove South. Hopefully, all the TWT members in that area are safe and unaffected!?

As usual, weather in Arkansas is weird. It stormed like crazy in one spot and was beautiful just a few miles away. Sometimes elevation has a lot to do with it. Trail riding would have been pretty treacherous. However, the forest roads have been getting a LOT of fresh gravel and would not be bad in the rain unless it was just storming like crazy. The roads have a lot of grip, even when wet, because of the aggregate they use for their asphalt. It is like sand paper. My front TKC on the GS is toast because of it!

All in all, it was a great weekend.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #112
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Had a great time, weather was perfect while I was there.

Will post pics when I get photo bucket working

Last edited by kubotamiketx; 05-30-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #113
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Here are some pics from my ride (all alone )

Before I rode I met up with Scott and his son for some Mexican food.

This is where the ride started. Note: The route just above this spot is blocked, seems like the property sold and it is now private property. I found a way around by back tracking into the park and hooked back into the track.

My next obstacle was a downed tree I had to go over, no way around.

Ran into this cool spot

Another obstacle. This wasn't easy to get around !!!

The country is absolutely amazing

I discovered that not all mud is created equal. I thought it would be so easy to go around the deep water hole but when my front wheel rolled into this bog I almost went over the bars. It took 15 mins to get the bike out. No way you could just pull it back, I had to pry it down on its side then used one of the branches laying there to pry it out sideways inch by inch. The front wheel wouldn't turn until I dug out the gunk. Insane mud!

Finally got into town for a quick bite

1968 CT90

Last edited by kubotamiketx; 06-01-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #114
kman

kubotamiketx: Great Photos!
07 BMW F650GS
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #115
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Good pictures Mike.
As you know, we were to the left of the last picture having lunch when you walked in the the Oark store.
We repeated lunch there the next and dinner at the Mexican restaurant too!

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote