TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #21
hambone334

Re: Adventure Breakfast & Ride - Saturday 6/17/17 @ 9a at the OST in Bandera

Yes, I enjoyed it as well. Had a great time. Thank you sanders for leading us around. See you guys later, great group of riders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hambone334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #22
F-Ride

Had a great time riding and talking with everyone. Congrats on all who made the entire route I'm still trying to acclimate to this TX heat.
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #23
Tailwind

Yep, good job Sander, as usual!
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #24
grimsweeper

Went to Medina lake instead of ride-shake down cruise for volunteering next week end at Operation Float a Soldier. Question for rider on R1200gs...on fence deciding on rt or gs. Looked at rt last week (2015 lc), doing more 2-up rides w/wife on f800gs. What is your opinion on bike as long distance tourer?
grimsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
dcflying

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimsweeper View Post
Went to Medina lake instead of ride-shake down cruise for volunteering next week end at Operation Float a Soldier. Question for rider on R1200gs...on fence deciding on rt or gs. Looked at rt last week (2015 lc), doing more 2-up rides w/wife on f800gs. What is your opinion on bike as long distance tourer?

Tough tough decision. I love the R1200GS probably the nicest bike I have ever owned or ridden my guess is the RT is just as nice.

In the family we have a 2015 Ducati Multistrata, KTM 690 Enduro And two KTM 500 EXC's. I have 4 Sons in case you are wondering. Sold my Harley Road King for the GS.

For serious off road I think I would down size to something like the 500 EXC or the KLR/DR 650's. Although really like the F80O/700 GS Series.

I have ridden the GS Solo from Prescott AZ to SAT twice now about 1000 miles in two days on each trip. We towed it out due to family/time constraints.

The ride consisted of paved roads except for some construction and loved it. Smooth, nearly no vibration, great handling, comfortable stock seat, decent wind-rain protection, great handling wet or dry pavement.

When I look at the RT I think it's the same bike weighing 80 lbs more with a bigger fairing which would provide better wind-rain protection. The GS has Enduro Mode the RT does not appear to. The RT has a heated seat option and I have not seen that on the GS. The Rear seat on the RT looks just a bit more accommodating.

There are lots of Panier and crash bar options for the GS and appears to be less for the RT so in my mind is the RT is more street oriented and the GS more dirt oriented. Meaning the RT would be more comfortable on longer rides.

For two up and staying on the pavement the RT might be a great choice. My wife refuses to get on the back and I like at least level 1 or easy 2 dirt so I like the GS.

I rarely ride over 80 so the power on the BMW is fine, It is a bit underpowered for sustained speeds over 85/90 but I don't ride that fast anyway. My guess is the RT would be the same since it has the same HP. 75 and below it's awesome.

If you want a closer look just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dcflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #26
Ropeburn

Were there gpx files for this route?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ropeburn is offline   Reply With Quote