TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #21
JMZ

Re: I'm just here for the mountains - the Great Divide Ride 2017

Photos always make it look easier . That does look like it would be a handful .

XR650R

2000 KTM 380 EXC PLATED
1977 Honda Trail CT 125
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #22
kubotamiketx

Looks like fun. Who had the Africa Twin with the high front fender? Wondering how it works for you? Did it take anything away from high speed cruising?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #23
Simmons1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post
Looks like fun. Who had the Africa Twin with the high front fender? Wondering how it works for you? Did it take anything away from high speed cruising?

That would be mine. Works fine for me. Depends what you consider high speed cruising.

I rode 470 miles today, most of it 80 ish in strong cross or headwinds. The only time the handling got a little nervous was passing tractor trailers with the strong cross winds. Not sure the fender would have made any difference or not.

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500
Simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #24
miltonotto

Quote:
I must ask how many flats were fixed on this ride. Seems like 30% of the photos so far have someone on their knees or backs working on a flat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
The sad truth of picture taking is that most of us don't stop anywhere near enough mid-ride to take pictures. Instead we take most of our pictures during the stops. The end result is an over-representation of pics at stops and not enough while riding. Ergo, 30% more pics of flat repairs than ride photos.
Flats..., and crashes.
And stop signs.
The most devout don't have time for pics.
~C. S. Lewis

Why My Friends Won't Ride With Me

He's a tour guide, John, what the bleep does he know?"

Wrong Way 'Round the Bend 2011
Uncle's Around the Bend, the Wrong way
Harleys 2 Mexico 2009 Tour
MexTrek 2008
Mexico March Ride (2008)
Peru, 2003
miltonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #25
kubotamiketx

Very cool, who's did you go with? The stock fender hasn't been a problem for me yet, but only had a single rain ride so far and that was hill country sand with a touch of surface clay, no thick mud yet.

2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #26
Simmons1

Quote:
Very cool, who's did you go with? The stock fender hasn't been a problem for me yet, but only had a single rain ride so far and that was hill country sand with a touch of surface clay, no thick mud yet.

Camel. After helping pick up bikes and watching people remove front fenders on the way to Jalpan last year I knew the low fender was going away on the AT as soon as an option was available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500
Simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
Vinny
Forum Supporter

:clap
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #28
dcflying

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I mounted a brand new Dunlop 606 on the rear and I had a very well used TKC80 on the front

Thank you, can you tell me which terrain you think the 606 worked best in (sand, gravel, hard pack, big Rock)? I am trying to decide between the k60, 606, TKC80 or just continue with the 6days knobbies it came with. TBH we ride it about 50/50 or so but have not done anything over 200 miles on it at any one time. The knobbies slow us down on the pavement for lots of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dcflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #29
dannyboy

Richard
How did you get back to Silver City NM from Steamboat Springs?

I hope to make this next year.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #30
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
Richard
How did you get back to Silver City NM from Steamboat Springs?

I hope to make this next year.
We did not return to Silver City after leaving Steamboat Springs. Bob and I enjoyed a vehicle supported ride.

Tricepilot Bob and I trailered from Austin to Silver City, rode to Steamboat Springs, and the trailered back to Austin. My wife, accompanied by our daughter and grandson, drove the vehicle/trailer with our extra gear to the next destination each day.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #31
Liteitup
Forum Supporter

Pulled into the driveway at 5am. Left Mexican Hat, Utah around 7am Utah time, had the bike loaded in the truck and on the road from Silver City about 3:30 pm. Long day, short nap in a rest area near Colorado City TX.

Had a great time.

So when does an adventure begin?
After the first drop? check, first day
After multiple drops(all very low speed, no damage)? Check, also first day. And second. And fourth day.
After finishing the day's ride at 9pm? After starting around 8-8:30 am? Check, second day.

Maybe the adventure really begins after the last day of the scheduled ride when you pull up to gas pump and discover you don't have any money, credit cards, or ID. 1100 plus miles from home, not counting the miles to get to the truck and I have 82 cents to my name. That's when it really got interesting for me.

Time will take care of itself so just leave time alone
W. Nelson

Last edited by Liteitup; 06-18-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Liteitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #32
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Facts and figures:

39 riders participated in the Great Divide Ride.

I saw a few KLRs and DR650s, a KTM 690, a DRZ400S, and two KTM 500 EXCs, but the majority of attendees were riding big adventure bikes.

Only two groups had vehicle supported rides. One group (that I know of) trailered to Albuquerque and left their vehicle there for the return trip home. I believe everyone else pretty much rode their adventure bikes to Silver City, rode the GDR, and then rode back home (or kept going north).

Altitude ranged from about 6000 to a bit more than 11,000 (Indiana Pass - the highest pass along the entire continental divide ride route). We spent most of our time riding in the 7000-8000 feet range.

There was very little snow. Despite about 200% above average snowfall over the winter of 2017 and a large snowstorm that dumped on Colorado about two weeks before the trip, we actually saw very little snow. All of the passes were open and most didn't have any snow at all.

The weather was perfect. It was mostly in the 50s in the mornings and 80s in the afternoons. It was downright hot the first two days in New Mexico and I was glad I was wearing my mesh gear. The temps in the New Mexico section must be brutal in July and August. The temps were quite pleasant once we left the New Mexico desert. It was cold (30-40s) at 10,000 feet and above but we didn't stay at those elevations very long, so it wasn't an issue.

We did not get any rain and there had apparently been very little rain in the days prior to our arrival (i.e. no mud or standing water puddles). It was sunny every day.

The dirt roads on the main route on days 1, 3, 4, and 5 were easy (and boring) class 1. Day 2 was the exception - it had the only interesting and challenging riding of the entire 5 days. The first half of the day included about 60 miles of sandy desert riding which was great fun on our 500 EXCs but probably increasingly less fun the heavier the bike. The afternoon of day 2 included a steep and rocky class 3 climb that proved to be quite a handful for those on the big adventure bike, followed by 20 miles or so of rocky and sandy class 2 riding.

Days 1-3 included harder dual sport sections off the main route. My group only rode the dual sport section on day 1. It was a mix of class 2 and 3 and included multiple water crossing, a steep, rocky class 3 climb, and a fair amount of class 2 riding. The class 3 stuff was hard on the adventure bikes.

The routes on four of the five days were too long. Those four days were 200+ miles, which was completely do-able on the mostly class 1 roads as long as you started early enough (8 am) and nothing went wrong (flats, crashes, bike problems, difficult terrain, etc). But something always goes wrong. The first day my group didn't finish until nearly 11 pm. Which delayed our start on day 2. Which caused us not to finish day 2 until about 10:30 pm.

One man's opinion: It was not as scenic or fun as I expected. I wouldn't do it again. If I were advising someone else that was intent on doing it, I would tell them to skip day 1 and start in Grants, NM. Day 2 was the highlight of the trip for me because the riding on day 2 was quite fun. The rest was pretty much uninteresting class 1. New Mexico had the most varied terrain. Colorado had the best views but they were not better than what you could see riding the pavement in the same area. Don't take my comments wrong - I'm happy that we did this ride. But, for me, the scenery was not enough to overcome 900 miles of class 1 riding (I have a strong preference for class 2 and some class 3 riding).

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 06-18-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #33
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Friday

Tricepilot Bob and I were travelling together to Silver City along with our support crew of my wife, daughter, and grandson. We loaded my trailer with our two KTM 500 EXCs and headed west on Friday afternoon to Ft. Stockton.

Our plan consisted of two days travelling to arrive in Silver City, NM and the start of the GDR. We broke the 12 hour drive into two days because a) both my wife and I worked half a day on Friday and b) to make it a little easier on my 9 year old grandson.

We stopped at a convenience store along the way that had an entire wall of holsters. Wow! How many holsters do they sell annually that they need an entire wall? It was amazing. And, they now have a new sheriff. And deputy.

Another convenience store had their own bear. A very big bear. Which decided to eat my grandson. So, I repeatedly punched the bear in the head until he changed his mind.

Chik-fil-a has fresh squeezed lemonade. And good ice cream.

Family fun at the hotel in Ft. Stockton

Even the most infamous bounty hunter scum in the galaxy needs downtime. This is Boba Fett's weekend ride.

Finally, after a million dad jokes and 800 miles we arrived in New Mexico. Only a few hundred miles remain till the start of our ride.

Once we arrived at the hotel in Silver City, Mrs. Trailboss (Connie) set up shop and started check-in procedures. Oddly enough, whenever I run check-in by myself I don't have anywhere near as many riders hanging out around me. Hmmmm...

Our 500s, ready to go.

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 06-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #34
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

After check-in was complete, we went in search of a meal and sightseeing in downtown Silver City.

New Mexico style architecture

Look who we ran into taking pics in downtown Silver City - the living legend himself, Milton Otto, world's foremost adventure dentist

In search of cold cerveza, I spotted this sign on the sidewalk and knew my quest was near its end.

The sign led us into a 100 year old brewery with a very cool vibe and some live music.

We didn't stay out long though because we knew that tomorrow was going to be a long day. What we didn't know was just how long it was going to be...

www.texasadventure.net
Old 06-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #35
_RG_

Very nice!

We'll be using some of the CDT to come down from Idaho through Montana and Wyoming in a few weeks. The route up - CO, UT, ID are BDR trails. The ones I've ridden range from mild to wild. By the time we turn south at the Canadian border we'll likely be looking for some class 1 and 2 relief or will have managed to break some stuff in the process. Should make for a grand adventure.

Thanks for taking us along on your ride. Keep the pix and tales coming.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #36
jetdr21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteitup View Post
Pulled into the driveway at 5am. Left Mexican Hat, Utah around 7am Utah time, had the bike loaded in the truck and on the road from Silver City about 3:30 pm. Long day, short nap in a rest area near Colorado City TX.

Had a great time.

So when does an adventure begin?
After the first drop? check, first day
After multiple drops(all very low speed, no damage)? Check, also first day. And second. And fourth day.
After finishing the day's ride at 9pm? After starting around 8-8:30 am? Check, second day.

Maybe the adventure really begins after the last day of the scheduled ride when you pull up to gas pump and discover you don't have any money, credit cards, or ID. 1100 plus miles from home, not counting the miles to get to the truck and I have 82 cents to my name. That's when it really got interesting for me.
Phil, your not alone its a bad feeling...
jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #37
Mr2mch
Forum Supporter

A situation like that (loosin your wallet while on a trip) ....calls for all the various scenarios you can wrap your brain around.....and then some......

Luckily its sometimes the "and then somes" that can make all the difference in the world...... Right Phil???

Sent from my A450TL using Tapatalk

IT happens..... then you put an SH in front of it

The Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide....Ask about my stickers
They're in the VENDOR SECTION
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #38
dcwilcox

Great stuff guys! Im in Albuquerque set to fly home tomorrow. I'll post photos and the link to my ride report then
dcwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 AM   #39
Liteitup
Forum Supporter

Friday morning I gas up in Steamboat and take off for the west. Every year I go to Colorado and say I'm going to Utah, every year it's too hot and I stay in Colorado. Not this year, I'm going. I don't care how hot it is, this is the year.
I pull into a convenience store/gas stop in Rangely, CO about 9:30am. Pull the helmet and gloves off, reach into my left pocket.....two tubes of lip balm and a pocket knife is all I find. What I don't find is my money clip w/ a couple of hundred dollars cash, credit cards, atm card, drivers license, insurance cards, basically everything you need. Apparently I left it in Steamboat(not likely) or I forgot to zip up that pocket and it fell out in the 154 miles between Steamboat and Rangely(more likely).
I sit down to collect my thoughts. I look up and call the station in Steamboat. No one has turned it in, they go look near the pump I was at, it's not there. Well, that saves me a trip

Ok, I'll find a bank and have funds transferred from my bank. I find Bank of the San Juans a couple of blocks down on main street. Surprisingly, there's a bit of a crowd, two people in front of me and one comes in behind me. Since my request is going to be a bit on the unusual side, I consider letting the man behind me go before me. Luckily, the line moves quickly and before I decide it's my turn.

I step up to the teller. " Hi, I need some advice. I've lost my wallet. Cash, credit cards, ID, everything. I'd like to see about transferring money from my bank to here. Can you help me?"
The teller is a young lady and very nice. "I can't do that if you don't have an account here"
"I'll open an account."
"You can't open an account without an ID."

By now, the man behind me and myself are the only customers. The other teller comes over and offers that maybe I could use Western Union. She calls the hardware store in town that does western union and asks if I can set up a password instead of an ID. No such luck, no ID means no funds.

Feeling fairly defeated and completely frazzled, I go sit in the lobby and pull out my phone. I'm trying to decide who to call or what to look up when the gentleman that was behind me comes over and sits down beside me.
"Tell me your story again."
I go through the whole spiel again...gassed up in Steamboat, lost wallet, etc.

"How much do you think you need?"
"I can't take your money." About then I realize that I'm going to have to take someone's money. "I don't know. I'm two nights from my truck and then home, gas to get there, gas for the truck to get home, something to eat..."
"$500 get you there?" And he opens up his wallet and pulls out 5 crisp, new hundred dollar bills.

I thank him,get his info so I can mail him a check. I try to give him my name and info.
"It doesn't matter." He's already figured out that I'm either going to send the money back or I'm not. Having my possibly made up info isn't going to change whether or not he gets repaid. I shake his hand, thank him again, and he leaves.

I ride to Mexican Hat, spend the night. I decide that I'll ride to Silver City the next day, retrieve my truck, and drive straight through. I'm not sure $500 is going to be enough for two nights and gas. I think it will, but what if something else goes wrong?
I leave Mexican Hat about 6:30 am Saturday and I'm pulling in my driveway at 5 am Sunday.
And I have $138 left. Another hotel room would have almost wiped me out.

TL;DR
I lost my money and ID and a complete stranger gives me $500 to get home. And won't take my info.

There are still good people in this world. I ran into one of them Friday.
What would have happened if I had let him go before me at the bank? He'd have never heard my story and I guess I'd still be there.

Time will take care of itself so just leave time alone
W. Nelson
Liteitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #40
Mr2mch
Forum Supporter

Que the Carl Malden commercial......
WHAT WILL YOU DO....WHAT WILL YOU DO...

seriously ... Ive met people like this on several different occasions.... There are still many good folks out there...

Kinda makes your day when ya meet one ..... Makes your life a bit better for it

Sent from my A450TL using Tapatalk

IT happens..... then you put an SH in front of it

The Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide....Ask about my stickers
They're in the VENDOR SECTION
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote