TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #21
_RG_

Re: 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexi

Vinny, saddle up and get the crew together. We have some unfinished biz up there.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #22
Paleodad

Re: 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexi

I am new to this site and new to ADV riding. Have years of off road and street experience just not this type riding. Live in the Dallas area and ride an 800 gsa. Yup a bigger bike. This ride interest me. It would not want to tackle it alone on my first go round. I can trailer 3 bikes so if a means of getting there helps someone out maybe we can work something out. I would tend to prefer camping but am open to a sharing a room as well. Anyone interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paleodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #23
_RG_

There are a lot of really nice roads that you'll be happy with. The trails are not the places I'd take an F800. But then I fall down a lot...
Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #24
Paleodad

9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
There are a lot of really nice roads that you'll be happy with. The trails are not the places I'd take an F800. But then I fall down a lot...

The falling down part is not to bad so long as all the appendages still point the right direction when you mount up again.

I'm good for two tracks and even some single so long as the rocks don't get too big or too loose.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #25
Jbay

Me and wife are gonna be in a camper van...

Up on Alamo peak or where ever with bicycles

A little worried about leaving the 500 on the hitch if we run around

http://www.actsmissions.org/

KTM 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Jbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #26
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbay View Post
Me and wife are gonna be in a camper van...

Up on Alamo peak or where ever with bicycles

A little worried about leaving the 500 on the hitch if we run around
Bring it over and we'll run it up in the RV. Course, I may need to take it out to keep it limbered up while y'all are gone.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #27
Jbay

Hey RG thanks

http://www.actsmissions.org/

KTM 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Jbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #28
TxEvo8

This looks like a ton of fun, checking with my riding buddy now.
TxEvo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #29
sanderjavant

Re: 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico

The 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico unofficial banquet will be Friday, August 4th at Ski Cloudcroft. Unofficial meaning, no host, show up if you want, when you want, during their business hours. My group will probably get there around 630-7p.

http://skicloudcroft.net/ - "The restaurant is also open for the summer, Friday 4-8 PM, Saturday 12-8 PM, and Sunday 12-7 PM. Get out of the heat and enjoy one of our famous pizzas on the deck and cool summer air."
Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #30
Westtexasadv

My son and I would like to attend. We were planning on going the second week of August but we have never been there. It would be nice to ride with a few folks that are familiar with the area. We will probably on come for a few days. Sat come ride Sunday Monday and then head home.
Westtexasadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #31
Paleodad

At this time I am making plans to be there. Will most likely drive Sat, ride Sun-Tues, head home Wed. Being unfamiliar with the area I will avoid any single track as I am on an 800gsa.

I will be trailering my bike out and have room for a second or possibly even a third if anyone is looking for transport from the Dallas area. I plan to tent camp. PM me if you are interested in teaming up.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #32
Paleodad

Wondering about safe place to leave my truck and trailer for the days I am out riding. Any suggestions from those who know the area?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #33
Westtexasadv

I may take my pop camper or do tent camping. My son has been wanting to try the adventure camping. He just finished a 68 mile hike in northern NM two days ago. So he may have had his fill of tent sleeping for a bit.
Westtexasadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #34
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleodad View Post
Wondering about safe place to leave my truck and trailer for the days I am out riding. Any suggestions from those who know the area?

Wouldn't you just leave it at your camp site, like the other hundred trucks and trailers and campers that will be in the Forest on a typical weekend? It is not like your truck will be up on blocks with the wheels stolen when you get back from a day's ride. I have only been going up there for almost 30 years, but most of the folks i have encountered are up there for the same reason I am--to enjoy the mountains and get some R&R.

Take the basic precautions like locking your vehicles and basically securing your valuables and you will be fine parking anywhere. No worries.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #35
Paleodad

That's why I asked. I don't have any idea what everyone else does nor do I know anything about the area. There are places in East TX where if you left your truck all day you would mostly likely find, if lucky all your wheels gone. Most all ride reports don't address those topics.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #36
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleodad View Post
That's why I asked. I don't have any idea what everyone else does nor do I know anything about the area. There are places in East TX where if you left your truck all day you would mostly likely find, if lucky all your wheels gone. Most all ride reports don't address those topics.

Yikes. I guess I am glad to have never have to worry about things like that where we ride.

The cool thing about Cloudcroft is that it doesn't really require a bunch of prior knowledge. My standard advice is to stop by the Ranger Station, get a MVUM, and go explore. Big bikes up there and where they can go is a pretty subjective topic because of rider skill. However, there are 100s of miles of easy forest roads to explore on a big dual sport that I would not hesitate to recommend to any rider.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #37
Paleodad

Thanks Johnf3.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #38
sanderjavant

Re: 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico

NMDOT to reinforce U.S. 82 tunnel this summer

Depending on the start date this could effect those needing to travel down to Alamogordo. The first couple of years we would go to Alamogordo for supplies, now we stock up on the way through Artesia. Fenns Country Market is a classic grocery store.

If you go through Artesia check out -Abo Elementary School in Artesia, New Mexico, United States, was the first public school in the United States constructed entirely underground and equipped to function as an advanced fallout shelter. Designed at the height of the Cold War and completed in 1962, the school had a concrete slab roof which doubled as the school's playground. It contained a large storage facility with room for emergency rations and supplies for up to 2,160 people in the event of nuclear warfare or other catastrophe. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

Last edited by sanderjavant; 06-28-2017 at 11:12 PM.
sanderjavant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #39
Kshaw

Having never been there, I've really been on the fence about getting a GPS. Those that have been there or close to it, do you think a GPS would be needed or would make a big difference in the enjoyment of going there? As of now I don't have a group to ride with, would kind of get one when there.
Kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #40
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshaw View Post
Having never been there, I've really been on the fence about getting a GPS. Those that have been there or close to it, do you think a GPS would be needed or would make a big difference in the enjoyment of going there? As of now I don't have a group to ride with, would kind of get one when there.
Download the area on Google maps of your cell phone . Also download the Rever app on your phone. That's all you need for cloudcroft .
Just saved you $200 - $600 . You are welcome .
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote