TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
ken.wilke@sbcglobal.net

DUAL SPORTING MY XR250R

I am dual sporting my XR250R and I can do it for about what the Tusk kit costs, but I'm customizing a bit from the standard kit, building it myself. Need some experience to bounce a few questions off of.

ALSO - I live at 620 & Anderson Mill (Cedar Park/Austin) and need to find some tame trails to ride... I'm TOTALLY new to off-road.
ken.wilke@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
dualsportvet

Re: DUAL SPORTING MY XR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.wilke@sbcglobal.net View Post
I am dual sporting my XR250R and I can do it for about what the Tusk kit costs, but I'm customizing a bit from the standard kit, building it myself. Need some experience to bounce a few questions off of.

ALSO - I live at 620 & Anderson Mill (Cedar Park/Austin) and need to find some tame trails to ride... I'm TOTALLY new to off-road.
Hey Ken,

I'm Bryan and in the same boat but with a DR650. I'm just up the road at Lakeline and Cypress in Cedar Park. If you get a chance, lets meet up. It would be nice to see how many local Cedar Park, Leander, and N.W. Austin guys there are.

Bryan
dualsportvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
TwoSmokeDS

Re: DUAL SPORTING MY XR250R

My 200 had a powerful stock stator that ran my headlight and incanscent tail, brake, license light just fine. So, you may luck out and have a stator that doesn't need upgrade. I don't like the L.E.D. lights; they're not durable enough for offroad or dualsport. I think the Tusk kit comes with L.E.D. lights. L.E.D. lights for tail or brake just not bright enough. I almost rear ended a guy I was following on one ride because his tail light is LED. Avoid that if you can.

Baja Design wants $500 bucks. Highway robbery. And those still have LED lights.

Also with a little ingenuity, you can save a ton of money. I use 10 12-volt AA batteries to power the horn. You can tap a turn signal into this battery also. This way you don't need a big, heavy battery to maintain, and recitifiying to worry about. Just run the lights with AC circuit.

I think UFO makes a nice bright incandecent tail/brake light that matches well with the XR's rear fender. And I think it comes with a license plate light too.
TwoSmokeDS is offline   Reply With Quote