TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance > Users Providing Tire Changing Services

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #61
tricepilot

Motion Pro Chain Tool Video

Advance Video for the June 4 Tire Academy bonus session

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #62
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Re: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire Academy

This is what I got today in my rear wheel noticing it when I was leaving work; probably as a result of reading this 'mad thread' last night...

I started unpacking (for the first time) the slime compressor but quickly decided to call my son with the small compressor and tire plugs...

So I am blaming the Mad Scientist for my luck today...

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12)
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #63
RollingJ

Yesterday I went to get on the bike and noticed the rear was a little soft. I put the gauge on it and it did not register. So in the spirit of this thread I decided to to a trail fix, using only what I had on the bike. 8" irons, bike hand pump and all!

Well, I did use my antique jack stand, but that part of the fix is always cobbled together in the field anyway. I would have found a log, pushed the bike to the sidestand side against a tree, or just laid it on the ground.

I pulled the tire and removed to tube with only a little trouble. The bead was 'locked' to the rim, and no amount of kneeling or stomping would break it, so I used the irons. Two down, one up, and there she went. The bubble juice I use as lube almost doubles as bead locks! I seriously doubt riding flat on this tire would have pulled it off the rim.

I found the hole in the tube, transfered the the location to the tire, and removed a finish nail. I patched the tube, cleaned the tire, powdered the tube, and put it back in. Using those shorty irons means technique is supreme. Let's just say I needed the practice, because I pinched the beejesus out of that tube, about 7/8s of the way around.

Remove, patch, replace.

I found I only needed lube on the last 2/3 of the bead during install, just to let the bead slide down the iron. I brought the iron to 90 degrees, pushed the bead past the rim, and had no pinched tube.

I aired it back up with my $15 double action bike hand pump. I have used the slime compressor and like the hand pump better. It's faster, lighter, and more compact the the slime pump, and doesn't drag the battery down.

I wasn't paying enough attention to the bike's balance and dropped it when I was re-installing the back tire. Doh!

Anyway, I'll chalk it up to experience, and now know I can make it happen on the side of the trail.

2006 KTM 450 XC-G Plated
I'm allergic to selfish
RollingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #64
JT
Forum Supporter

One point that is easy to miss in Doug's video, lube the entire bead. It helps to allow the initial area to fall into the well giving more slack for the part of the bead you are trying to slip over the rim. Soap's cheap.
2006 DL1000
2001 XR650R tagged
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #65
AttoirRE

I'm a fan of the bicycle frame pumps, also. They pack smaller, are generally more reliable than the Slime or other electric pumps. If you have a stubborn bead, you may get a bit of a workout making it seat, but doesn't take long to air up a tire otherwise.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #66
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
This is what I got today in my rear wheel noticing it when I was leaving work; probably as a result of reading this 'mad thread' last night...

I started unpacking (for the first time) the slime compressor but quickly decided to call my son with the small compressor and tire plugs...So I am blaming the Mad Scientist for my luck today...

Wow! Looks like your tire got screwed!

Recommendation: For tubeless tires, keep an old tire in the shed and once a year take it out and practice using your string or plug kit.

Just as with practicing with tubes on a dirt bike, these tires skills are "muscle memory" and the nuances and trick techniques that make the job easier have to be renewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastropjoel View Post
Yesterday I went to get on the bike and noticed the rear was a little soft. I put the gauge on it and it did not register. So in the spirit of this thread I decided to to a trail fix, using only what I had on the bike. 8" irons, bike hand pump and all!

Well, I did use my antique jack stand, but that part of the fix is always cobbled together in the field anyway. I would have found a log, pushed the bike to the sidestand side against a tree, or just laid it on the ground.

I pulled the tire and removed to tube with only a little trouble. The bead was 'locked' to the rim, and no amount of kneeling or stomping would break it, so I used the irons. Two down, one up, and there she went. The bubble juice I use as lube almost doubles as bead locks! I seriously doubt riding flat on this tire would have pulled it off the rim.

I found the hole in the tube, transfered the the location to the tire, and removed a finish nail. I patched the tube, cleaned the tire, powdered the tube, and put it back in. Using those shorty irons means technique is supreme. Let's just say I needed the practice, because I pinched the beejesus out of that tube, about 7/8s of the way around.

Remove, patch, replace.

I found I only needed lube on the last 2/3 of the bead during install, just to let the bead slide down the iron. I brought the iron to 90 degrees, pushed the bead past the rim, and had no pinched tube.

I aired it back up with my $15 double action bike hand pump. I have used the slime compressor and like the hand pump better. It's faster, lighter, and more compact the the slime pump, and doesn't drag the battery down.

I wasn't paying enough attention to the bike's balance and dropped it when I was re-installing the back tire. Doh!

Anyway, I'll chalk it up to experience, and now know I can make it happen on the side of the trail.

What a great testimony - your post is exactly in line with the message and spirit of the Academy which is to forsee what a tire task would be like out on the road or trail and to tackle it that way at home with only the tools and materials you'd have with you on your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthompson View Post
One point that is easy to miss in Doug's video, lube the entire bead. It helps to allow the initial area to fall into the well giving more slack for the part of the bead you are trying to slip over the rim. Soap's cheap.

Excellent John, that is a great tip. When WhiskeySmith was here we were sure to do that, on both sides of the bead. This also not only helps to get the bead back on but also to set it when airing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttoirRE View Post
I'm a fan of the bicycle frame pumps, also. They pack smaller, are generally more reliable than the Slime or other electric pumps. If you have a stubborn bead, you may get a bit of a workout making it seat, but doesn't take long to air up a tire otherwise.
Great tip Joseph!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #67
tricepilot

Saturday (June 4), 1 PM........rear tire spoon off/on clinic.......mi casa (es su casa)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #68
JMZ

I will be in the 5 %
93 CT70
JMZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #69
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ View Post
I will be in the 5 %
You are THE MAN

We took care of Karl and the rear tire on his F800, pics to follow

JD (Schizzman)

John (JMZ)

Paul

Raul (Bato)

Karl (WhiskeySmith)

Me

We did brats on the Hibachi, installed a new knobby on Karl's ride, rode River Road in New Braunfels, and in general, we made Saturday ROCK!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #70
JMZ

Originally Posted by JMZ
What is your adress . I am going to try and show up.

95% of Americans who say "I'll try to make it" never show up - be the exception!

1 PM
93 CT70
Old 06-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #71
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ View Post
(Quoting me)

95% of Americans who say "I'll try to make it" never show up - be the exception!
John said:

"I'll TRY to make it"

He made it!

He's the Exception
Old 06-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #72
WhiskeySmith
Uff Da
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Saturday (June 4), 1 PM........rear tire spoon off/on clinic.......mi casa (es su casa)
As usual, Tricepilot rolled out the red carpet. Brats, iced tea, baseball on the radio, a helping hand, and great new friends. Thanks again for letting do my thing in the shade...under perfect conditions.

-Carl
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #73
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySmith View Post
As usual, Tricepilot rolled out the red carpet. Brats, iced tea, baseball on the radio, a helping hand, and great new friends. Thanks again for letting do my thing in the shade...under perfect conditions.

-Carl
And here's Carl sweating like a sailor in the boiler room of a battleship in the south pacific....just take a look at the shoes of the cognocenti standing around cheering him on!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy Graduate!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #74
tricepilot

Notice below Nellie's right eye the tattoo of a tear, from her time in prison after she bit the last student who failed the Mad Scientist Tire Academy.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #75
tricepilot

JMZ

Old 06-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #76
tricepilot

JMZ is a good guy
Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #77
tricepilot

"El Padre"

Bato

Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #78
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySmith View Post
Thanks again for letting do my thing in the shade...under perfect conditions.

-Carl

Carl is READY FOR THE TRAIL

Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #79
tricepilot

Our Thanks to the Happy Couple...

Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #80
JMZ

Some of the bikes there all parked together like they belong there .
Attached Thumbnails
trice pilot house 012.jpg  
93 CT70