TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc. > Upcoming TARA Rides/Events

Notices

Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

The Great Divide, aka the Continental Divide, is a hydrological divide in the Rocky Mountains that creates an east/west watershed. On the west side of the divide all water ultimately drains to the Pacific Ocean. East of the divide all water drains to the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean.

Some years ago mountain bikers put together a path running from Canada to Mexico along the divide, 90% of which is composed of dirt roads. They call it the Continental Divide Ride or CDR for short. After the dual sport adventure community discovered the CDR it became a bucket list" ride for many, including me.

Well, it's time to check at least part of the "Continental Divide Ride" box.

I am organizing a five day Great Divide Ride that will cover the New Mexico and Colorado sections of the Continental Divide. The ride will begin in Silver City, New Mexico on Sunday, June 11, 2017 and end in Steamboat Springs, CO on Thursday evening, June 15, 2017.

Schedule

Saturday, June 10: Arrive in Silver City, NM.

Sunday, June 11: Silver City - Grants, NM, 267 miles.

Monday, June 12: Grants, NM - Espanola, NM, 217 miles.

Tuesday, June 13: Espanola, NM - Del Norte, CO, 242 miles

Wednesday, June 14: Del Norte, CO - Salida, CO, 156 miles

Thursday, June 15: Salida,CO - Steamboat Springs, CO - 248 miles

Friday, June 16: End of ride

Logistics

I think there are three ways riders can handle the logistics of this ride:

Supported Ride: Organize a group of friends and trailer together to Silver City, NM. Every day alternate who drives the truck/trailer that day to the end of that day's leg. Let's say you organize a group of four to do the Great Divide Ride. All four of you pile into a truck and pull a trailer with all your motorcycles to Silver City and the start of the ride. Each day a different person in your group drives your truck/trailer to the town located at the end of that day's route. This means you will ride three days and drive one day. A support truck/trailer means your bikes don't have to be loaded down with a weeks worth of clothes, gear, or camping equipment (for those who want to camp). It also means that if there is a bike problem or one of the riders has health/injury issues, then a support vehicle is available and the rest of the group can continue with the ride.

Half-supported Ride: Organize a group of friends and trailer together to Albuquerque, NM (or pick an alternate location). Leave your truck/trailer in Albuquerque and everyone rides to Silver City and the start of the event. Ride three days north along the divide, then peel off and ride two days along a different route back to Albuquerque. Trailer back home. This method means you have to carry all your gear on your bike but everyone in the group gets to ride every day.

Unsupported Ride: Ride your bike to Silver City. Ride north for five days. Ride back home or to wherever you are going after the rally ends.

Sleeping:

I'm planning on staying in a hotel every night. However, don't feel compelled to do the same. I believe there are ample camping opportunities along the divide but don't know any details. If your group is planning on staying in a hotel, make your reservations right now! You can always cancel your reservations if something happens. Note that there are very limited hotel options in Del Norte, CO but Alamoso is 31 miles east and has multiple hotel options.

Here are the hotels I'm planning on staying at each evening.

Silver City: Econo Lodge

Grants, NM: Comfort Inn

Espanola, NM: Days Inn

Del Norte, CO: Windsor Hotel

Salida, CO: Hampton Inn

Steamboat Springs, CO: Quality Inn & Suites

Fuel:

As best as I can tell, the longest reported distance between fuel stops is the 160 miles between San Lorenzo and Quemado, New Mexico. I recommend that you have a 200 mile range just to be safe. If you can't go that far with your stock gas tank either get a larger aftermarket tank or carry spare fuel in fuel bottles or a Rotopax.

Weather:

The weather should be moderate and rain is typically minimal during June. Expect lows in the 40s and highs in the 70s. There will likely be snow on the highest mountain passes and, if so, your team will have to select an alternate route.

Bike:

The CDR is not known as a difficult ride. Any size adventure bike should be able to make this ride with a properly prepared bike and a rider of average skills. Some of the difficult areas have moderate adventure bypasses and other areas have harder dirt bike routes for those who want more of a challenge.

Map and GPS

You can buy waterproof maps of the route from the Adventure Cycling Association. Note that I have not purchased these maps so I can't provide any detail about them.

Download the GPS files here in .gpx format. The blue line is the main route. The green line is the adventure bike bypasses. The red line is the alternate, harder dirt bike bypasses.

I recommend take the time to fully study the routes so that you know them well. Paper map backups are always a good thing, especially when your GPS breaks.

5/18/2017 GPS Update: I have been massaging the gps files linked above. Specifically, I have deleted the sections of the GDR that we aren't planning on riding, combined sections by day, and created two routes from the tracks. The first route is the regular route (i.e. does not include the easy bypasses or the dual sport/single track sections) and the second is the dual sport route (includes the dual sport/single track sections).

I'm no GPS guru or expert but I think the files are in good order. I created them using in Mapsource using City Navigator 2017. You can download them here.

Registration - $20

The cost to attend is $20 and includes a free t-shirt to all riders who register before May 21, 2017. T-shirts will be given out at check-in on Saturday, July 10th at the Econo Lodge hotel in Silver City to registered riders. You must be attend the ride to receive a t-shirt (i.e. t-shirts will not be mailed to registered but non-attending riders).

How to register: Paypal $20 per person, name of each attendee, and t-shirt size for each attendee to rgibbens@austin.rr.com. Upon notification of payment I will send a confirmation email to you letting you know you are registered. If you don't receive an email from me then I did not get your registration.

Or you can send a check along with name & t-shirt size for each attendee to:

•Richard Gibbens

•12609 Red Bud Trail

•Buda, TX 78610

If you provide an email address with your registration I will email registration confirmation upon receipt of payment. If you don't get a confirmation email from me you should contact me to ensure I have received your registration.

Want to know more about the section of CDR we will be riding?

Snuggs0802 (Anthony) posted a most excellent ride report and photos from his 2016 ride of the New Mexico section of the CDR. It's a great read.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 05-18-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
tricepilot

Re: The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Old 07-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
Blk1989
Forum Supporter

Old 07-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
JoToPe

Following

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoToPe View Post
Following
I think the word you are looking for is "attending".

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Old 07-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
JoToPe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I think the word you are looking for is "attending".

There's a high probability that I will, and I'll be dragging you along with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
Crew Chief

'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
JcatDRZ
Forum Supporter

Dang, this seems amazing. I may have to get in on this..

Folks typically ship there bikes and meet them, or just trailer/truck them?
Old 07-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
my6

Old 08-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
bigdon55

Glad I re read the directions. From looking at the map, that was a big chunk of riding for six days !
Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

So I was wondering...

Has anyone thought about hauling to the start, riding the whole thing, then renting a U-Haul to haul back to the start point? Of course, there would have to be a U-haul pickup and drop off point on each end. But still... I would hate to have to skip a day of riding because then that section would always be taunting you for missing it... Just sayin

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 08-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #12
bigdon55

I have no dog in the hunt but, leave trucks in Clayton NM.
Ride to Silver City. Ride trail then a nice Two Day ride back to Clayton.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #13
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon55 View Post
Glad I re read the directions. From looking at the map, that was a big chunk of riding for six days !
Haha same here. Maybe rename it The Little Divide Ride. I'm planning to ride Banff to Mexico this Sept. Wanna join me Don?. I'm doing a Great Lakes and Canada ride prior to the start also.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
JcatDRZ
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Haha same here. Maybe rename it The Little Divide Ride. I'm planning to ride Banff to Mexico this Sept. Wanna join me Don?. I'm doing a Great Lakes and Canada ride prior to the start also.

_
What bike will you be taking?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #15
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcatDRZ View Post
What bike will you be taking?
Super Tenere with crash protection and 50/50 or better tires. Planning to ride all the hard route options but waiting to hear back from a couple people on that first. Definitely wont be taking the easy route options though.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #16
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

So How did it go? Shame you are doing the bottom half of the ride (I understand being based in texas it makes sense), I thought the upper part (Montana, etc) was far prettier and nicer to ride!! The CDR remains one of my most favorite rides, it is truely beautiful and a joy to ride.

Gary
05 CRF450X (for visitors - 2 off!!)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
00 XR200 (Daughter #1)
08 R6 frame with highly modified RG500 engine (ongoing project!).
Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #17
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

OOPs, I just noticed the 2017!! You are planning a long way in advance!! Hope you have a great ride.

Gary
05 CRF450X (for visitors - 2 off!!)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
00 XR200 (Daughter #1)
08 R6 frame with highly modified RG500 engine (ongoing project!).
Old 08-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #18
texaspatrick
Forum Supporter

Just gonna put this right here for the time being....

Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
tperk314
Forum Supporter

We just finished a 800 mile...6 day ride from Cripple Creek, CO to Silverton & back. Probably 70% on dirt & crossed at least 10 passes. I'm sure we probably crossed your planned route a few times. If you have any questions about any of the passes, roads, or lodging...feel free to get in touch. We spent nights at Leadville, Gunnison, Silverton, and Almont. Already working on next year's route. Have fun!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #20
Rick M
Forum Supporter

Thumbs up Re: The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Looks fun
Ktm 690 Enduro
Kawasaki KLX 450 R Dualsported
Closed Thread