TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
sanderjavant

IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/19/19-Castroville, Texas

A Texas Adventure Riders Association
San Antonio Chapter Event

What?
A 250-mile adventure motorcycle ride entirely within Medina County Texas. Saturday, January 19, 2019

The ride will start and end at the Alsatian Steinbach House Park in Castroville, Medina County, Texas. For 2019 the route will run counterclockwise.

Pictures from 1 HERE & HERE
What happened on II - Click Here
Or on 3 HERE

A weather date decision will be made at least by the Wednesday before.

Breakfast
Note a suggested earlier than normal meet & start time - Although the regular Adventure Rider Breakfast Series meet time is 9a, I'll probably arrive at Sammy's by 745a, every rider should be on route by 9a.
The breakfast spot is Sammy's Restaurant as it's just west, across the street from the Alsatian Steinbach House Park. If Sammy's Restaurant becomes too crowded Haby's Alsatian Bakery is available for take out pastries and kolaches, its located directly across US90. And the original home of the bike breakfasts, Taqueria San Juan, is two minutes west on US90.

My group will depart the Alsatian Steinbach House Park about 9a.

I'll be handing out unofficial IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride starter stickers at breakfast at Sammy's Restaurant or at the Alsatian Steinbach House Park.

Parking
The Alsatian Steinbach House Park or Castroville Park and Ride are options for parking for those that are trailering over. Riders have parked at Sammy's in past, they several have no parking signs posted for non diners, ask first, park there at you own risk.

Lodging
The Hotel Alsace & Spa, now Hillside Texas. Camping is available at the Castroville Regional Park, 816 Alsace Street, on the Medina River.

Dining
I plan on having dinner at Fremdes Pizza after the ride if anyone wants to join in, about 530p. They have live music both Friday and Saturday night. https://www.fremdes.com/about-fremdes/

Another option is the Castroville Cafe next door or Cora's up FM 471 known for "The Best Nachos in Texas". Or to feel like you are in Europe, Alsatian Restaurant.

If a non-riding companion needs something to do while you are out riding click HERE

The Route
This is a self-guided GPS ride, start a group or join one, as the ride is self-guided a group will need to keep moving to get in the 250 miles before dark, my group finished the route on ride 2 but not the 1st or 3rd for only a 33% completion percentage.
Additional Notes: Different legs of the route may touch (due the 2019 rotation) near Quihi, it will require attention to stay on the proper course.

Of course the ride and gathering is all about fun, camaraderie and being safe. Some will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time and head home.

IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride Map
Route information & Map
*Disclaimer - I build the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and Furkot's mapping program. So the route may not be 100% accurate. I do not pre-ride the route; it's an adventure for me also. Road closures, legal status, conditions and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue; politely ask for directions to get back to a public road.

Below is the 250 mile route, running run counterclockwise this year. Click on the image for an interactive Google map.

Attached is a GPX for the 250 mile route and a 300 mile route for anyone that wants extra miles.

Medina County is immediately west of Bexar County in southwest Texas

Rider etiquette
For those that join my group - When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch in a restaurant, I'm in the office all week so when I'm on a ride I want to spend as much time as possible in nature. I plan a stop about midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every corner without a clear / obvious direction to continue and wait for the entire group to make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, we won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as the rider in front takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost. Also, please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Safety
AGATT
Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, Zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency Phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Adventure / dual sport roads are disappearing due to pavement or closures, respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

2018 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE

2019 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE

Last edited by sanderjavant; 12-06-2018 at 10:28 PM.
sanderjavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
dannyboy
Forum Supporter

Re: IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/19/19-Castroville, T

I am marking my calendar. This is always a fantastic ride.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
JT
Forum Supporter

Re: IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/19/19-Castroville, T

Gina and I are in.
2006 DL1000
2001 XR650R tagged
2003 KLX400R tagged
2007 300XCW not tagged-yet
JT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Route not complete? I would like to see some of the Medina River and lake area but understand if there is nothing left but houses and traffic. I have been anticipating the completion of this since last year. I like the counter route since it would allow new scenery first for me. Like you said in the thread (as you know), need to get out and moving since it's a long one.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
William Wolfen

On the radar. Last year was fun. I'll have to see how I'm doing when the time gets closer. DR 2 will be ready to go for sure by then. Wrecks suck!

Last edited by William Wolfen; 12-05-2018 at 03:13 PM.
William Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
sanderjavant

The route is 95% the same as 1, II & 3. I'm just triple checking a few things before I post it above.

You'll get to cross the Medina River river just north of Castroville. I hope no one dives in this year. See 0:41 in. Thanks for the video Kory!

2018 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE

2019 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE

Last edited by sanderjavant; 12-06-2018 at 09:53 PM.
sanderjavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
webnel

looking temping
'08 Honda CRF450X (sold)
'07 Honda XR650L - (sold)
'13 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (sold)
'12 Ducati Monster 796 (sold)
webnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
Gourdhead

I had a great time at this event last year, and hope to attend again. Lets see if we can not roll any Urals this year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
jwaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourdhead View Post
I had a great time at this event last year, and hope to attend again. Lets see if we can not roll any Urals this year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Weíre down to 50% as much bad luck with Urals since I got rid of mine. Having two Urals on the same ride is like what was expected if you crossed the streams on Ghostbusters.

Itís the KLRs you have to worry about now. Especially yellow ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 KLR 650
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, they're looking good so far,
jwaller is loving life, on his brand new KLR.
Got rid of the Ural, that nightmare now is over,
He'll probably get another one when H3LL freezes over.
jwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
subcomm

��
Yamaha Super Tenere
KTM 690R Enduro
subcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
hambone334

I am in for this, I let weather change my mind last year. Look forward to meeting up with you guys this time

hambone334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone334 View Post
I am in for this, I let weather change my mind last year. Look forward to meeting up with you guys this time

It was a fun day, excepting Billís whoop de doo with his Ural. But I did run the electric jacket almost all day. (I am a cold wimp tho)

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
loydinator

very cool, will try to make it out.
loydinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
grimsweeper
Forum Supporter

Three Sidewinders and a sailor so far...