TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
focus frenzy

funeral train

ok, how many people are planning to go stake out a spot to photograph the president Bush 41 funeral train?

in the world of rail fanning this is a holy grail, it has been 49 years sense the last time there was a presidential funeral train, and very well could be the last time one happens.

I have already picked out a spot that hopefully is not crowded and provides a good angle.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
ntklr650

Re: funeral train

I have not heard of this. Would love the kids to see it if it works out.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

New status: On two wheels again.
Old status: In between bikes right now
ntklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
ok, how many people are planning to go stake out a spot to photograph the president Bush 41 funeral train?

in the world of rail fanning this is a holy grail, it has been 49 years sense the last time there was a presidential funeral train, and very well could be the last time one happens.

I have already picked out a spot that hopefully is not crowded and provides a good angle.
I've seen the route but not the times, have you figured the time out??
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
dukey33

For anyone that hasn't seen the route mep:
https://www.up.com/cs/groups/public/..._route_map.pdf

I've not seen a play-by-play schedule, but the media has reported the following:
"The departure ceremony [from St. Martin's Episcopal Church] will start at 11:15 a.m., where he will then be transported by motorcade to Union Pacific Railroad Westfield Auto Facility.
The train will run through Tomball, Magnolia and Navasota on the way to College Station, and the ride is expected to last 2.5 hours."

I would figure as with most events heavily influenced by the Secret Service, the exact times are not published.
dukey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

good point on secret service I imagine.
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
focus frenzy

departure according to Union Pacific is 1pm with arrival at destination at 3:45pm

the roster just list the 4141 but there is rumor locomotive 1943 will also be used.
the consist includes:
three power cars 207,208,2066
"city of Portland" dome diner
"city of San Francisco" dome lounge
"the council bluffs" baggage car
"Lone Star" business car
"Harriman" dome lounge
"overland" Diner car
"Portola" deluxe sleeper
"City of Denver" diner car
"Walter Dean" dome lounge
"Kenefick" business car
Old 12-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Confused, thought I heard leaving Ellington Field for Washington this morning by one of the presidential 747 jets.

Please clarify . This is interesting ,as you said

Think I understand...this will be for the burial at week's end I believe in college station.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads

Last edited by StromXTc; 12-03-2018 at 11:35 AM.
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
bowtie39

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Confused, thought I heard leaving Ellington Field for Washington this morning by one of the presidential 747 jets.

Please clarify . This is interesting ,as you said

Think I understand...this will be for the burial at week's end I believe in college station.
This is a 3 stage event. Today flying to DC. In state there till Wed and flies back to Houston. Funeral service Thurs morn in Houston. Leaves after service for internment in College Station Thurs. That is when "4141" arrives approx 3:30-4:00 pm. in CS.
bowtie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
focus frenzy

he will lay in state in the rotunda at the capitol from 5pm today to 10am Wednesday and then be transported to the National cathedral for the national service that is scheduled to last 90 minutes (televised) he will then be taken to joint base Andrews for the return trip to Houston, arriving back here at around 4:30pm
Bush will then lie in repose at St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Houston for the service here Thursday morning, he is then to be transported to the Union Pacific yard and loaded onto the train in the "council Bluffs" car for departure to College station at 1pm with Arrival scheduled for 3:45 pm
Old 12-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
South Tex
Forum Supporter

Any idea where in College Station the train will stop to transfer for the final ride to the burial site ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
South Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Jarrett
Forum Supporter

Please post some pics.
2012 NC700X
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
Centex
Forum Supporter

FYI, two links for all the available information:

(Union Pacific) George H.W. Bush Funeral Train

(Joint Force HQ) Official U.S. State Funeral Honoring former President George H.W. Bush, 1924-2018

The Union Pacific link above includes further links to info, video, and pics about the route, consist, etc, etc. There's a mention in there that the train will stop, and presumably transfer the President, "across from Kyle Field" in College Station.

The second link includes info on all of the events and schedule from now through burial at the Presidential Museum.
2001 M750

Last edited by Centex; 12-03-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #13
South Tex
Forum Supporter

Thanks centex, I’ll try and get some pics Jarrett. Not sure how close they’re gonna allow us at that point.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #14
Dahveed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33 View Post
I would figure as with most events heavily influenced by the Secret Service, the exact times are not published.
You know your career is limited in the Secret Service when you're assigned to guard the dead guy.

Just kidding. It was probably the same people that did a good job of keeping him secure during his living years. Sounds like a neat trip. I wish I could go. I hope the rain in the forecast doesn't rain on your parade.

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
dukey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
You know your career is limited in the Secret Service when you're assigned to guard the dead guy.

Just kidding. It was probably the same people that did a good job of keeping him secure during his living years. Sounds like a neat trip. I wish I could go. I hope the rain in the forecast doesn't rain on your parade.
I know you were kidding, but just like this morning, I expect 43 will be there with 41 the whole way and perhaps many other dignitaries.
dukey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #16
South Tex
Forum Supporter

Yup yup. I’m just going to pay my respects and kinda doubt I’ll get close to anything pic worthy.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #17
tshelfer

Interesting. Something I'd like to do, considering that Pres Bush is one of my favorites of the 20th century. But that's a long way for me to go. Plus, it would take weeks to reschedule my Thursday a.m. doctor's appointment.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #18
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Reading the online news, so much is going to be shutdown all day, from around 6am along the whole route it might be useless even trying to get close. In College Station there will only be 3 viewing spots for the public. Navasota pretty shutdown too. Maybe out in the rural area you might be able to sneak a view or if you have access to private land. Guessing crowds could be huge.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Ev...501742851.html
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
Old 12-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #19
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I wonder if they will be shooting down any drones that attempt to fly over for video footage...?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #20
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
Reading the online news, so much is going to be shutdown all day, from around 6am along the whole route it might be useless even trying to get close. In College Station there will only be 3 viewing spots for the public. Navasota pretty shutdown too. Maybe out in the rural area you might be able to sneak a view or if you have access to private land. Guessing crowds could be huge.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Ev...501742851.html
That rail line criss cross so may FM's I'd guess it wouldn't be that difficult to find a spot along the route.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote