TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #21
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Re: Saddlebags too close to exhaust? Solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTLSDoug View Post
I am in, a fabricating job is for me. Let us know, I will show up and annoy Mitch during the process. It is one of my favorite things.
Got to go with what you are good at ... Doug will probably by everyone's lunch.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #22
Ocho

Hahaha

Well I decided to skip those specific soft bags and get larger panniers for ADV touring and look at soft bag options in the future. Thanks everyone for their feedback.

2017 Versys X300 ABS
Ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #23
Ocho

Welp, the SWMotech Trax Adventure cases weren't the right fit for the bike either so I'm getting a Happy Trail rack for soft bags that sit higher on the bike and hoping I can mount the Givi bags with plenty of space. Looks like this will work! I'll tell you friday.

2017 Versys X300 ABS
Old 10-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
aspr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
Welp, the SWMotech Trax Adventure cases weren't the right fit for the bike either so I'm getting a Happy Trail rack for soft bags that sit higher on the bike and hoping I can mount the Givi bags with plenty of space. Looks like this will work! I'll tell you friday.
That sucks! I hate trying up money just to see what will work and what wont.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #25
Ocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspr View Post
That sucks! I hate trying up money just to see what will work and what wont.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yeah. I also learned the return process on Revzilla is much better than Twisted Throttle.

On Revzilla you can do it on the website with a simple click, and you get a return label for cheap (around 7 bucks). They return the money pretty quick as well.

For Twisted Throttle I had to call to tell them the issue, and even then they wanted to try a couple of things after I felt I had already exhausted all possible action without severe modifications. They ultimately gave me return labels but only because I asked for them. No way I'm shipping back huge boxes on my penny. I'm fine if they charge me a little (but they waived the fee cuz I wasn't warned the stuff won't fit my bike), but Fedex/UPS would've probably charged me $50+ per box cuz of the size. They have yet to get all 6 boxes I sent back, we'll see how long it takes for the refund to show up.

2017 Versys X300 ABS
Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #26
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Yeah. I also learned the return process on Revzilla is much better than Twisted Throttle.
Totally agree. I have purchased a lot of stuff over the years from RZ and have found their customer support to be top notch. Returns have always been hassle free and quick.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #27
h2000fb
Forum Supporter

Quote:
On a related note: how many run hard luggage for offroad trips around Texas? I have decided to return this bags and look for another set of hard bags that fit the Givi rack and maybe get some smaller soft bags in the future?
I had hard aluminum boxes on my KLR - Happy Trails I believe. They were the smaller of the two sizes I have seen. The KLR spent lots of time off road, but no bad crashes. A couple of times I did get my foot caught on something only to have it momentarily cram my leg against the box.

Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #28
h2000fb
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Opinions?

I would seriously consider a light piece of sheet metal to place behind this mount and bend it out over the exhaust to serve as a shelf for your bag to rest on.

This shelf would keep your bag off the exhaust and also have the benefit of not being a heat shield clamped around the exhaust that could act as a heat sink.

This would be an easy fix or trial. It would not have to come out very far either. While it may be wide at the top and bottom, you would probably only need to bend a smaller width out between the two bumps on the mount for a shelf.

Hope I painted a good picture to follow my logic with.

Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote