TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #61
M38A1
Administrator

Re: 2018 Project - Focused picture a week (M38A1)

Week #25/52
iPhone snap full moon. I'm losing steam with this "project"... sigh......

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #62
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

That pic looks like it could be from a really scary movie!

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #63
M38A1
Administrator

Week #26/52
July 4th Fireworks

WoodButcher rang me up and said "let's go shoot fireworks"! Um..... ok. So I followed his step-by-step process and I was fortunate to get this one. I chose it for the spiral motion of the canister moving up before it exploded This was the only one like it out of all the shots I took and it was almost perfectly symmetrical in nature when it went off. Broken down, tripod with camera on top, remote shutter release, ISO low (100), f/8, manual focus mode at infinity and backed off a bit, and experiment on time.

CAMERA Nikon NIKON D4S
LENS AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G
ISO 100
FOCAL LENGTH 50.0 mm (50.0 mm in 35mm)
APERTURE f/8
EXPOSURE TIME 1.8s (1.8)

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney

Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #64
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
That pic looks like it could be from a really scary movie!
This house is in the 'top' pasture now and you can see it from the BIL's place. His son/wife and grandkids lives there.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #65
blupupher

Really cool fireworks shot.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #66
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
Really cool fireworks shot.
Thanks!

Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #67
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

fireworks shot looks amazing

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #68
M38A1
Administrator

Week #27/52
You've been mooned...
I really enjoy the time Woodbutcher and I have early Saturday mornings for coffee and conversation.

CAMERA Apple iPhone SE
LENS iPhone SE back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
ISO 200
FOCAL LENGTH 4.2 mm (29.0 mm in 35mm)
APERTURE f/2.2
EXPOSURE TIME 0.05882s (1/17)

Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #69
M38A1
Administrator

Week #28/52
Cicada
Saw this guy on the front sidewalk and decided to get down on his level to capture him. As I got on my hands and knees on the sidewalk (ouch) he didn't like that I was only about a foot from him so he moved and hissed at me. So I moved when he moved and was able to get in a position to shoot him head on. Used my SB700 on manual mode along with a pair of Cactus triggers and set the camera on the sidewalk on the tripod foot while holding the speed light over/above in different positions to get what I liked.

CAMERA Nikon NIKON D4S
LENS AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
ISO 100
FOCAL LENGTH 105.0 mm (105.0 mm in 35mm)
APERTURE f/8
EXPOSURE TIME 0.00556s (1/180)

Old 07-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #70
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

That is awesome!

Very good DOF for only f/8. Did you crop much?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #71
M38A1
Administrator

Thanks, Scott. Means a lot coming from the master of bug macro.

It's a HUGE crop. lol.... My 105 only lets me get about 15" to the bugs. Thinking about some extension tubes. I suppose I could put it on my crop body and see what happens.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #72
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

You should get good results on the crop body.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #73
WoodButcher
Administrator

Step away from the D4S and embrace the D500. It is an excellent crop body.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #74
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Step away from the D4S and embrace the D500. It is an excellent crop body.
Are you guys shooting all your bug stuff/macro lens with crop bodies?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #75
WoodButcher
Administrator

Almost all of them on the crop body.

I did use the full frame with my macro lense the other day and it seemed to focus slower than my crop, but it shouldn't have. I think it just seemed that way.

2013 K1600GT - Serenity

Last edited by WoodButcher; 07-23-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #76
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
Are you guys shooting all your bug stuff/macro lens with crop bodies?
Almost exclusively if I am using the 105mm lens. However, if I use the 70-200mm with any of the extension tubes, it is usually on the D750, but that is mostly because Sarah is using the D7200 with the 105mm.

Both of my bodies are 24 Mp sensors. The the larger FF sensor on the D750 has a lower pixel density, which means you lose detail, especially if you start cropping the images. The advantage of the D750 is better low light performance, but that rarely matters since I shoot virtually all of my shots with the 105mm in combination with the flash. I don't use the flash the 70-200mm lens, so I guess there might be some advantage to going to the D750 in that case.

If you have a D800/850, then that 36 Mp sensor would likely be a real advantage, probably even over the 24 Mp crop sensors.

Quote:

Old 07-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #77
WoodButcher
Administrator

He has a D4S and a new D500 and another older body (D700?), so the D500 is the better choice.

2013 K1600GT - Serenity
Old 07-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #78
M38A1
Administrator

Week #29/52
The elusive unicorn grasshopper...

I'm starting to see the attraction TM and WoodButcher have shooting these and why they capture them. Most people don't get to see bugs close-up and I find their looks to be fascinating when you really stop to 'look' at them. So here's a common little grasshopper. (it's really not a unicorn - it's just the angle) I was walking in the grass and saw something out of the corner of my eye fly then land. I spent a few minutes looking for it and finally did. Master of camouflage comes to mind. About 40 shots later I figured I had enough to choose from. That 40 quickly went to about five. That tells me I need to run the fine-tune adjustments on the 105macro and this D500 crop body to get the hit ratio up higher.

CAMERA Nikon NIKON D500
LENS AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
ISO 1600
FOCAL LENGTH 105.0 mm (157.0 mm in 35mm)
APERTURE f/8
EXPOSURE TIME 0.01s (1/100)