Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #41
ben1364

Re: The Harley Myth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnh View Post
Your friend can be proud of his/her patriotism, for owning an American ride.
Do you really want to go there?
ben1364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #42
leekellerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpy View Post

Peg and control placement are quite different. The 1200R is gone, it had what Harley called "mids", but to someone who grew up on dirt or standards I'd call it "mild-forwards". Everything else is "forward" controls, which I can't ride, but lots of folks love it. The Nightster still has mids, and trades cheap shocks for cheap shocks with no travel, to get that cool hunkered down look

The XR1200 has "rearsets" for a Harley, I'd call 'em normal.
Can't you still buy the mids from Harley? They seem to offer everything else (as long as it is chromed).

I kind of like Sportsters, myself.

Lee

=================================

2001 Yamaha VStar 650 -- Vera (sold)
1982 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk -- Silvy (sold 2012)
1982 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk-- Bikey (Sold, 2011)
1970ish Kawasaki H1 500 (Long gone, but not forgotten)
leekellerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #43
Wes

Quote:

I'm not try to be a jerk, but this is the one myth I can dispell.

There are just about as many parts made in China on a Harley as there is on a Honda. Hondas and Harleys are both assembled in America though, employing American laborers. I'm not berating you, I'm just saying the belief that Harleys are all American is tainted slightly. I did a lot of research on Harley's production and labor issues while in college but ironically I have never ridden one. Also, if I remember correctly they use foreign steel. (This fact I am not 100% on so I may have mispoken)

I would be curious where Kawasaki's are assembled since I just gave them a chunk of change.

Timeline of My Illness:
1980 Kawasaki KDX 400 - 1986 Honda Interceptor 500 - 2000 Yamaha R6 - 2002 Yamaha Road Star Warrior - 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14

"It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything." -Tyler Durden-

"Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business and eventually degenerates into a racket." -Eric Hoffer-
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #44
Janet
Forum Supporter

Quote:

.......Janet
2008 FJR
Blue Knights TX XXI
IBA 18308

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
Thomas Paine

Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #45
JTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I would be curious where Kawasaki's are assembled since I just gave them a chunk of change.

Japan, just like the Hondas. If you go back and look you will find that Honda pulled back there motorcycle production and it is all in Japan now, but to keep the plant open they moved more of there Lawn Care items to the US.

Sportsters are great bikes and the only Harley I know that leak oil are doing it because they are not ridden enough.

Political Correctness, destroying America one banned book at a time.

2013 Ninja 650
JTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #46
ben1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM View Post
Japan, just like the Hondas. If you go back and look you will find that Honda pulled back there motorcycle production and it is all in Japan now, but to keep the plant open they moved more of there Lawn Care items to the US.

Sportsters are great bikes and the only Harley I know that leak oil are doing it because they are not ridden enough.
Really? I read somewhere that Honda intends to build passenger cars at the Marysville, OH plant after motorcycle production is relocated to the new plant in Japan a year or so from now...

All the major players use parts/components made in more than one country and Harley Davidson is not an exception. Indeed, H-D uses some of the same suppliers as are used by some/most of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #47
TwoSmokeDS

I think where a bike is designed is just as important, if not more, than where it's built. Having bike designed in USA means lots of good paying, white collar, engineering jobs. When you buy a Japan/German/China brand, you're effectively off shoring good paying jobs to those countries. USA is not as competitive as a lot of other countries when it comes to manufacturing, but we sure can out design 'em. We do what we do best--design and engineering. Let 'em do what they do best--manufacturing. Free market, hee-haw.
TwoSmokeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #48
Bob Dahringer
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think where a bike is designed is just as important, if not more, than where it's built. Having bike designed in USA means lots of good paying, white collar, engineering jobs. When you buy a Japan/German/China brand, you're effectively off shoring good paying jobs to those countries. USA is not as competitive as a lot of other countries when it comes to manufacturing, but we sure can out design 'em. We do what we do best--design and engineering. Let 'em do what they do best--manufacturing. Free market, hee-haw.
Oh this is gonna be good.
IBA #11610, AMA#485692

2013 Moto-Guzzi Stelvio NTX. "Sophia", named after another Italian beauty with big jugs.
Bob Dahringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #49
ben1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad3766 View Post
Oh this is gonna be good.
You are correct IMO. This thread is deteriorating rapidly, and it started off on such a positive note...
Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #50
Trashysquid

Quote:
I'm not try to be a jerk, but this is the one myth I can dispell.

There are just about as many parts made in China on a Harley as there is on a Honda. Hondas and Harleys are both assembled in America though, employing American laborers. I'm not berating you, I'm just saying the belief that Harleys are all American is tainted slightly. I did a lot of research on Harley's production and labor issues while in college but ironically I have never ridden one. Also, if I remember correctly they use foreign steel. (This fact I am not 100% on so I may have mispoken)

+1 on this. My Honda 1100 was made in that Marysville, OH plant that is now being re-tooled for cars. So, if that isn't "Made in America," then I'm not sure what is....
Trashysquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #51
bmcdonau

In the age of multinational public corporations, does it really matter where the company is headquartered or where it has manufacturing plants? My Dodge truck was assembled in Saltillo, Mexico of parts made around the world.

Back to the original post.

Harley's are reliable, they don't leak oil, then handle well enough for most, and produce enough power to get you in trouble. I've seen competent riders on a XL1200 roadster eat an incompetent sport bike rider for lunch. Most riders can't ride a modern bike of any kind to anything near its maximum potential anyway.

Please don't let your admitted lack of knowledge of Harley's influce your friends choice of bike. I've rarely been disappointed when I bought exactly what I wanted in life and have regretted many purchses where a compromise was involved.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #52
jvano

Quote:
... That is all.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #53
Maverick

What got me originally interested in riding 7 years ago was a buddy's springer. I really liked the look of the bike. But after looking further, the price tag was a little much for me and then I saw the Spirt and 6 years later bought one.

My buddy has a 100th anny Sportster 1200 and it is a beautiful bike. His only comment was that my bike had a more comfortable seat.

Other than that, I have no experience with HD's but think the rumors are just that.

Maverick
Child Liaison
Web Admin
BACA - Brazos Valley Chapter

Gerald "Jester" Cleveland / 1976 - 2009 / BACA Fort Worth / RIP Brother
Dylan "Porkchop" Newman / 2006 - 2009 / BACA Brazos Valley / RIP Brother
Craig "Hat Trick" Schroeder / 1964 - 2009 / BACA Waco / RIP Brother

"The definition of Insanity - Attempting the same thing over and over again expecting different results" ~ Albert Einstein
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #54
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
His only comment was that my bike had a more comfortable seat.
That is definately a fair statement. I have never found a motorcycle seat I would refer to as comfortable but it always seems someone else has a more comfortable one than me. It's like your always one step away from getting there.

Also, yes honda did pull out thier US motorcycle production and shift around some locations. I just wanted to point out that I wouldn't let where a bike is made influence decision making because it is a global economy and things aren't always "made in America" that say they are.

As far a designs that is all in perspective. I think the Concours is he perfect bike, but not everyone agrees, which is why they don't fly off the showroom floors.

But thanks everybody for all the advice.

Timeline of My Illness:
1980 Kawasaki KDX 400 - 1986 Honda Interceptor 500 - 2000 Yamaha R6 - 2002 Yamaha Road Star Warrior - 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14

"It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything." -Tyler Durden-

"Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business and eventually degenerates into a racket." -Eric Hoffer-
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #55
The Bruce

A million miles on a Harley. That should help dispel any myths. And, no, it's not April fool's day yet.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #56
patricjft

No doubt that every myth that Wes posted in the original post are no longer true. They may have been at some point, but definitely not the case for todays Harleys. I have two friends that have over 100K on their HDs. No problems, just regular maintenance. I don't know of anyone with that on their Japanese bikes. Not saying their aren't any, I know there are, but none that I see on a regular basis.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #57
Wes

Not picking a fight but 100,000 is pretty common on FJRs and STs.

Timeline of My Illness:

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #58
bmcdonau

Quote:

Most modern bikes are capable of 100K, but most don't see it because A.) They just aren't ridden that many miles and B.) They don't get serviced like they should.

I think most Sportsters will need top end work as the milage nears 100K, at least that's been my observation from the XL forum.

A lot of old bikes are locked up in garages and sheds with 10k on the speedometer.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #59
patricjft

Quote:

Like I said, I know they are out there, just haven't seen it myself. I hear about it all the time. But, just the same, it does go to show that an HD is plenty reliable.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #60
patricjft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcdonau View Post
A lot of old bikes are locked up in garages and sheds with 10k on the speedometer.
Where? I want them. Always had the crazy idea of buying all the bikes I ever owned. Need an SP125, SP250, 88 GSX-R 750, and 86 GS700ES. Can you tell I grew up Suzuki?