TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Upcoming Rides, Trips and Events > Ride/Trip Planning Info > Camping & Lodging

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
drfood

Big Spring Cabins--Kaibab Forest North Rim

Has anyone ever stayed in one of the Big Spring Cabins in the Kaibab National Forest at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? I just discovered these today when looking at unusual things to do next year when we go out west again.

Also, anyone ever ridden Forest Road 22 from near Fredonia, AZ south toward the North Rim? It appears to be paved for a good distance then suddenly at a wide spot labeled "Ryan" turns to dirt. Thoughts on riding it with a fully loaded Wee Strom?

Thanks.
drfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
jfink
Forum Supporter

Re: Big Spring Cabins--Kaibab Forest North Rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfood View Post
Has anyone ever stayed in one of the Big Spring Cabins in the Kaibab National Forest at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? I just discovered these today when looking at unusual things to do next year when we go out west again.

Also, anyone ever ridden Forest Road 22 from near Fredonia, AZ south toward the North Rim? It appears to be paved for a good distance then suddenly at a wide spot labeled "Ryan" turns to dirt. Thoughts on riding it with a fully loaded Wee Strom?

Thanks.
The wife and I have been up there on the North Rim in a car, but not down to Ryan. I looked at it on Google, and I think you're right, it turns to dirt. But, as one of the fella's I have ridden with said, it looks like the super highway of dirt. I wouldn't be too concerned on a wee strom. I would even be tempted to try it on the my Wing, if I was in the area. I will say that you might want to make reservations early, because everything seems to book up quickly on the North Rim.

'04 Goldwing (all states, except Hawaii, all provinces except Nunavut)
'08 KLR 650 (685 Kit)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote