TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
M38A1
Administrator

Fight to the death?

Watched these two for about five minutes today and I canít figure out what Iím looking at for a series of images I shot this evening. Itís an ant, with what I think is a juvenile ant on top of it. The juvenile ant seems to only have three of six legs. I canít tell if the juvenile is biting the right front of the big one to hang on. I donít think it is, but the juvenile is definitely missing legs. Then I wondered if it was a fight to the death between the two and the big one chomped off the legs of the little one. But thereís no stubs, like the little one never had them. A parental Ďloveí thing in trying to carry the juvenile? Iím stumped. Thoughts?

I have zero idea why the crazy colors on this one.... just a huge crop for the most part.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Windmill

Re: Fight to the death?

The little ant is more stumped. This is interesting. Maybe a mating ritual like the black widow spider?

Last edited by Windmill; 09-02-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Windmill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
aspr

I'd stay the strong helping the weak

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
viffer07

Don't know about "fight to the death" but the photography is outstanding!
viffer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
DaveC

that's a heck of a lens, i aint no entomologist , but I could play one on the internet!

-\0/-
[]

"heck, that ain't far! Let's ride"
Quote:
"Such as thou art, so once was I
As I am now, so shalt thou be"
Inscribed on the tomb of The Black Prince , Edward of Woodstock, 1376
Quote:
Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.
Will Rogers

Ride Naked!
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
tricepilot

The large ant is actually an ant, but the small "ant" is actually a wooden sculpture made by the true ant. The ant's name is Herman Finsterheimer. World famous ant sculptor.

What your are seeing here is Herman trying to get his sculpture from his studio to the gallery. What you thought was a tussle was actually Herman bearing the hefty weight of his piece on his back. He was going to have help in making this move, but, alas, his friends left him high and dry.

You noticed the sculpted ant is missing its legs. This is by design. Herman left those back at the studio to save some weight.

It's amazing what goes on in the world when you stop to take a pause and see what is actually going on. You captured it all with your usual stellar photography!

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
M38A1
Administrator

Trice you crack me up!

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney

Old 09-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Neat job on the pics, those tiny guys suddenly look rather large
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Cool shot. Ants are tough because they move so much, are so small, and trying to get much of anything focused is a HUGE challenge!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, youíre a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, youíre a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, youíre a moderate. If you donít want government to intervene anywhere, youíre an extremist. ó Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a Ďdismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. Ė Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction ó the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #10
M38A1
Administrator

They did NOT like the speedlight.....

Old 09-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #11
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Maybe you captured a North American version of this:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...njured-africa/

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
Maybe you captured a North American version of this:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...njured-africa/
Taking a que from Gina, I wrote the gal in the article about this and sent her the images. This was her response:

Hi Scott,

I apologize that it took me so long to get back to you, I've been traveling.

I don't know precisely what is going on here but I can hopefully provide a little insight. The ant on top is not a juvenile. "Juvenile" ants are called larvae, like other insects, and they don't look anything like the adults. Here's what they look like: https://www.google.com/search?q=ant+...w=1301&bih=780

Once the larvae pupate and become adults, they never grow after that. That's how I know the one on top isn't just a young ant, it's not going to grow up to look like the one on the bottom.

It's not uncommon for ants to lose legs, and when they do, there often are not visible stubs. So I think the most likely thing is that this ant on top lost three of its legs, rather than it never having them. My guess quick is they were fighting and got stuck together a bit.

There are several ant forums with knowledgeable people on facebook and elsewhere if you're interested in learning more! Search for ants and/or myrmecology (the study of ants). I'm impressed with the quality of your photos (I know it's hard to get good shots of ants). These are good enough that someone with a bit more knowledge about Texas ants could easily identify the species, which would also give you more information if you're interested.

Best,
Helen

So with this, I suppose I'll log back into the devil (Facebook) and find an ant group and ask the same questions about what's going on here. Will report back what I find.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
focus frenzy

big one is a carpenter ant and his passenger may be also as worker carpenter ants come in several sizes