Old 08-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #41
morfic
Forum Supporter

Hallo from San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmeano85
Get the KTM 690 enduro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm afraid that particular Enduro would be wasted on me and that makes it then too expensive to not be used right.
Not that it's not appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by morfic; 08-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.
morfic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #42
morfic
Forum Supporter

Hallo from San Antonio

So I went full circle.

(You can skip to the pictures if that wall of words seems daunting)

I researched the Ducari Scrambler Icon a lot, great bike I'm sure, but I noticed I started planning out all changes I would have done early on because so many were not only using a bike they wanted to improve, but it more came across as many wanting to fix the bike.

So instead of going for the first bike I sat on (Street Twin) or the first bike they offered $0 down on (Ducati Scrambler Icon), I decided to get all my options lined up and pick the one my senses told me is “most me”.
So I let BMW get me an offer on a F700GS, and there was an immediate difference, unlike giving me numbers over phone, email or text that didn't stay fixed like Triumph/Ducati and didn't ever show all fees and taxes, Alamo BMW sent me a PDF showing me the full breakdown, with disclaimer that it won't be final until credit is ran.
So I filled out the credit app since I liked where that was going.
Actual deal then was resent and offer to let them know if I wanted to go ahead (deal was better than quoted after credit was ran).
They had the bike I wanted, in the color I wanted with the options I wanted (but would have been too cheap to go and get), payments were doable, downpayment was 1/4th what Triumph wanted (for Street Scrambler, Street Twin I still don't know how much it had been), bought Geico insurance and sent them copy of ID and insurance to put bike on hold until Saturday, because overtime was drowning me during week.

So today I went in, signed, paid (added on 3 year unlimited Tire/Wheel deal) and went over the controls of the bike, tried putting it on the center stand a couple times (who would have thought sucking at dieting would ever work in my favor!)
And took it home over I10, took it around the block to get a feel for bike before heading down on I10 though.
Weaved a little to see how it'll handle and my thought there was “oh, she feels stiff, she'll need some convincing in turns”.
Went on to I10 and Everytime I saw a turn with a posted yellow speed sign thought “Here we go, better get ready to press” and then the magic happened, when I don't weave but just go on a curve, she leans like she has no weight, doesn't prefer going straight, she goes where I think of going, like she knows where I want to go and takes me there.
A little bit like riding on rails that get laid right in front of you.

I think it doesn't like the low RPM driving I'm used to, so her and I need to get used to each other in that regard and I'll have to get used to not driving that low on the tacho.

My day was about to get better yet.
I came home and wife was not only “ugh ok” with it, she complimented the bike, and as if that wouldn't have been great enough, she told me that she had mentioned to our daughter she should get a helmet so she could ride with me! I don't know who this woman is pretending to be my wife, but I love her! (Too bad daughter wasn't interested :P)

So I have a bike I wanted, a bike I enjoy and I get to fully enjoy it guilt free.

I'll also comment on my gear choice, but I think I need to introduce “her” here:

My helmet is a Sedici Avventura, reviews were not the hottest but it seemed to make a great helmet for me regardless because it fit and was comfortable, I can always add earplugs and yes it's noisy, but the comfort is good, it should work with goggles as well as using the built in clear visor, and I love having a top visor to use against the sun.

The Bilt Techno jacket was on sale at Cycle Gear (within lunch break reachable distance from work) and yes, mesh jackets are impressive, although it feels quite weird feeling that 102F air blow across you.

Thank you all for your input and comments, it has helped my journey thus far.

Hopefully the next picture of it would be somewhere else but at my curb.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Last edited by morfic; 08-12-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:35 AM   #43
jhansen

Re: Hallo from San Antonio

Nice looking bike. Sounds like Alamo BMW treated you well.
AMA #289603 Life member
Patriot Guard Rider
Ride like your life depends on it...because it does
---------------------------------------------------
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #44
bakermaker
Forum Supporter

Wow nice bike!
bakermaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #45
JMZ

Nice bike . This is a little late but I don`t ride with mesh gear anymore.I had one mesh jacket way back when and I felt like the hot air was worse with it . it might be better while your stopeed in traffic but I don`t like it better than my old Joe Rocket jacket while moving. I don`t know if you have one but to me the secrect of riding in the Texas summer heat is using a camelback and drinking lots of water. Ride safe , maybe we will meet up sometime.

XR650R

2000 KTM 380 EXC PLATED
1977 Honda Trail CT 125
JMZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #46
morfic
Forum Supporter

Thanks guys.

Well, JMZ, my next jacket will be similar to what I used to have and then I will enjoy it fall/winter/spring, and I will find out how long I can push it into the summer.

Of course they showed me the BMW jacket there, price point aside, I must admit, it's a well engineered peace of gear. The amount of vents it has sets the target for "the next jacket".

Just didn't want to start with it finding out I can't handle it

Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #47
tshelfer

Mesh vs. fabric is kinda like oil debates. The important thing is Daniel showed good (and experienced) rider sense by buying protective clothing before he bought a bike that had to be ridden home.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:01 AM   #48
morfic
Forum Supporter

Hallo from San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer
Mesh vs. fabric is kinda like oil debates. The important thing is Daniel showed good (and experienced) rider sense by buying protective clothing before he bought a bike that had to be ridden home.

While I'm not ATGATT, I'm no squid.
I'm pretty much MTGMTT. (Edit: MTGATT is more fitting)
Retro MX boots would be next. Any SIDI looking boot I always found too stiff.
Pants (that aren't overpants) I'm actually considering this time around.

Most exciting story from today's short ride to Bandera?
I'm at about a 15% "wave" rate, none of the tough Harley riders bothered, and seems the more gear the riders wore the more likely they recipricated or even initiated.
I admired that guy on "some sports bike" in full gear, deep lean, giving a fully extended arm as he made that look just too easy. First one of the day, and it's what made me enjoy the ride more to be honest.

Last edited by morfic; 08-14-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #49
tshelfer

Everybody has to find their gear level and comfort, and then live with it and the responsibility of it. I suit up head to toe, but do sometimes get lazy when I'm just making a Walmart run, and don't wear my overpants. And I rarely wear ankle high boots, opting instead for low-quarter slip-ons with a nice, sticky waffle tread. But I never ride past the end of the driveway without jacket, helmet, & gloves.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #50
F-Ride

Great bike

It will be a good fit for the TX hill country and old county roads.
There is a breakfast & possible ride afterwords this Saturday. Great bunch of local DS riders.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114937
F-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #51
morfic
Forum Supporter

Fred, sorry, I should have paid attention, Saturday is a work day for the foreseeable future, unless you want me to get in trouble with Eugene!