TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
sanderjavant

9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 2017 - What Happened?

What happened at the 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico?
Add your pictures, videos and stories to this thread.

The 10th Annual Smokey Bear Dirt Bike Motorcycle Ride will be July 30-August 3, 2018.

Day 1 - Monday, July 31, 2017.
Temperature range 52-68

We rode:
Bailey Canyon
La Luz Canyon
Calico Peak Road
Fresnal Canyon
Steep Hill
Horse Ridge
Dry Canyon - partial
The tunnel
Karr Canyon
Courtney Mine Trail
Karr Road 634
then the rain started...Sunspot back to Cloudcroft

DSC00728 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Photo by Jbay
IMG_2460 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00719 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00720 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00721 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00722 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00723 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00730 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00735 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Photo by Jbay
IMG_2468 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Last edited by sanderjavant; 08-12-2017 at 10:03 AM.
sanderjavant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Jbay

9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 2017 - What Happened?

http://www.actsmissions.org/

KTM 500 EXC & 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i

Last edited by Jbay; 08-06-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Jbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Jbay

Re: 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 2017 - What Happened?

Oops

KTM 500 EXC & 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i

Last edited by Jbay; 08-06-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Jbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbay View Post
Oops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTM 500 EXC & 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Jbay

So I am thinking about getting the Rekluse left hand rear brake kit

Then I will have no excuse not to stand on the pegs more

KTM 500 EXC & 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Old 08-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
sanderjavant

Quote:
So I am thinking about getting the Rekluse left hand rear brake kit

Then I will have no excuse not to stand on the pegs more
I've been planning my next upgrade(s) as well.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
Jbay

KTM 500 EXC & 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #8
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Why do you need the thumb brake to stand?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Jbay

I guess why not try it my brake line was broken

With the rekluse clutch in there is no engine brake so it runs fast down hill

With the LHFB you still keep the clutch and the right foot rear brake

Left hand front brake not needed it is the rider not the bike, at least that is what they keep telling me

KTM 500 EXC & 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Old 08-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
_RG_

Notice that bouncy license plate going down the hill? Yeah well...it's out there in the Sacramento mountains somewhere today.

Score: 1 plate for the Chisos and one more for the Sacramentos.

Quote:

Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

There have been a few times where I would have liked to have the thumb brake on the left bar, but that had nothing to do with standing. It has to do with REALLY steep descents where I WANT that right foot down!! Going down Black Bear Pass in Colorado was a good example. I was hugging the uphill side of the road while trying to negotiate the steps near the top. If you fall left, you go into the creek. If you fall right, you just lay up against the rock wall. So I was wanting to keep the bike slightly leaned right... just in case. But the front brake was almost useless, so I had to keep the rear brake applied. It was tense, probably the most tense I've ever been on a bike. A loss of control could also mean picking up speed going down the steps and failing to negotiate a SHARP 90 corner at the bottom, which meant becoming part of the water fall where the creek plunged over the edge...

Looking up hill from the sharp corner...

You don't want to get over into the loose stuff on the right side of image because there isn't much room to slow or stop before you reach the edge...

Me coming down on my KLR

The view from the top

The dude in red is at the corner with the drop off

Here it is looking back up to that corner

Having a thumb brake in stuff like this would be REALLY nice!!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #12
Jbay

RG we did make it to the Weed cafe for a green chili cheese burger

Run with the big dogs or lie on the porch?

KTM 500 EXC & 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Old 08-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Weed Cafe is always a must do when out there!

Quote:

Old 08-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #14
_RG_

Johnf3 along with his sons Conner and Jerrod took us out for a great rip up the Rim trail. As the seasons go, it came the usual afternoon deluge. JT, being the wiser of the group had bailed earlier to go deal with some unruly boots.

We all huddled under a friendly tree waiting for it to stop. It didn't.

KubotaMike along with the rest of us getting a good bath...

Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #15
Tailwind

Well, I couldn't get any of my pictures to post, so I'll just do a text only post.

Becky and I arrived at Cloudcroft Saturday afternoon and set up camp at the "Saddle" campground off of 244. Before that we tried to find a decent, dry spot at one of the many primitive camp sites along the various forest roads but most/all of the good ones were occupied. We stayed all week and the riding was very good. A few of the days we had some pretty good rain, but overall it was good stuff. The whole gang was there and we really appreciate Sander organizing this. Here is what Becky and I did by day:

Day 1 Sunday - Upper Rio Pensaco to 5005 to Benson Ridge
Day 2 Monday - Bailey canyon to La luz canyon to Laborcita canyon. We had to make a 180 on Laborcita road due to some seriously deep mud ruts. We almost made it out to hwy 16.
Day 3, Tuesday - hauled bikes to Carizozo and road part of the BDR that looped off of 380. desert type riding but had some decent clay type mud in places
Day 4 - Rode with Sander's group. Had lots of fun chasing Sander's XR
Day 5 - More La Luz and Bailey off of 244, Benson Ridge, dark canyon
Day 6 - Russia Canyon area, Pierce Canyon, West side road to Heart Attack canyon

All in all a very good trip. We had bears visit us each night in the campground we were staying at. Saw lots of elk, a few turkey and both muleys and white tails.

Good trip. Thanks again Sander for organizing this!

David

Last edited by Tailwind; 08-08-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #16
sanderjavant

Day 2 - Tuesday, August 1, 2017.
Temperature range 51-65
Dinner at the Western Bar for Taco Tuesday.

We rode:
224 to Dark Canyon
The area northeast of Dark Canyon
16 Springs
Walker Canyon
Carr Gap Road
Old Cloudcroft Highway Trail

DSC00740 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00745 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00751 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00755 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00771 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00784 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00792 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00795 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00802 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00804 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00815 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00823 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00829 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00835 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00841 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00848 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00853 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00856 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00868 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00869 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00873 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00876 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00882 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Last edited by sanderjavant; 08-09-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
Jbay

Sander if you went through Pierce canyon that is where we were at the Baptist camp

I counted over 80 Elk in our backyard

KTM 500 EXC & 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
Old 08-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #18
_RG_

Rim trail fun from parking area 1 to the overlook. Great ride with the trail in proper shape. Johnf3 led a spirited pace that everyone seemed to have no problem with ...cept for me. I managed to slide into home plate in a slick area thanks to gravity and a wrist sized piece of firewood left in the trail. JT enjoyed a front row seat to the event. He seemed mildly amused with my aged durability. Vinny celebrates his successful navigation through "Vinny's Corner."

The crew: Vinny, Jerrod, Johnf3, Connor and KubotaMike. White Sands in the background.

Love the little winged feet on Dino here.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
Devientartist

Man I am so jealous! Looks like an absolute blast! Hopefully this time next year i'll have an XR650 in the garage to take on this.

2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2000 Honda XR650L
1980 Yamaha XS1100
1972 Yamaha R5 350cc Two-Stroke
Devientartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #20
sanderjavant

Day 3 - Wednesday, August 2, 2017.
Temperature range 50-69

We rode:
Rim Trail - parking area 1 to 2
Russia Canyon
Lucas Canyon Trail
FSR223
Rio Penasco
Old Sunspot
FSR64
Jim Lewis Canyon
Scott Able Canyon
West Side Road
Karr Canyon Road
Rim Trail - Karr Canyon to parking area 4

DSC00888 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00890 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00901 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00908 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00910 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00917 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00921 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00950 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00951 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00955 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00956 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00957 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00959 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

DSC00970 by AvantMotorcycles, on Flickr

Last edited by sanderjavant; 08-11-2017 at 10:14 PM.