TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #161
Jarrett

Re: IF I were to get a dirt bike, what should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
Johnf3 really knows his stuff, he's a very serious off-roader.
I'm not and never plan on becoming one. I don't know that I'll ever need a very serious off-road bike. I just like putting around in the dirt.

Maybe I should run with my dual sport hazard lights on to keep the serious off-roaders from mowing me down on the trails
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #162
Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
I really am not. As a older rider who sees our sport of true off road riding possibly dying out to a lack of new riders and a lack of places to ride, I want all new riders to have the best possible initial experiences so they stay engaged. I am just trying to give constructive feedback. I guess it may be direct, but not sure how else to communicate it.

You already have a big dual sport that you are pretty comfortable riding--your Africa Twin. I read where you talked about pushing it up over 100 mph and telling us it will wheelie in second gear. So, you may be a newer rider but you seem to be pretty comfortable on a motorcycle in general. You started this thread asking about a dirt bike, and indicated you are eager to hit some real motorcycle trails.

I think at the level you will be capable of riding at, you are going to run smack into the limit of what a 250L will do in a true off road situation. My perspective there is trails like at SHNF, or any true off road riding area. I am not talking about dirt roads in the Hill Country or Big Bend. A 250L is fine on that type of terrain, but I get the feeling from your posts that you want to do more than that.

I will bow out of making any further comments here. My apologies if i offended you with any of my comments. Hope to see you on the trail someday and share some nice single track with you.
No offense taken. I actually appreciate the input despite hearing I got the wrong bike. I guess that comes with asking for advice from strangers on the Internet.

I may be stupid on the street, but I'm scared of trees and rocks

I used to mountain bike a bit and I'm familiar with making a small error and smacking a tree at speed or tumbling down a rocky hill. I really don't want to relive that with a 300 lb. motorcycle coming down with me. When I take this bike on the trails, its going to be very slow. I suspect not getting run over from behind by serious off-roaders will be my main concern.

And for the record, I can't figure out how to get the front wheel up in second gear on a DCT Africa Twin
Old 07-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #163
Meriden

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
Johnf3 really knows his stuff, he's a very serious off-roader. I like getting his opinion on stuff. But I guess the thing that deicides if this is a good bike for Jarrett is Jarrett and what he wants to do on the bike. Everyone doesn't want to rip down a trail like us guys who race and even "race" with our buddies when play riding. For his purposes this could be a good bike for him. If not he'll figure it out in short order. Either way it's got him in the game and enjoying a different discipline of riding.
^^This^^

As much as my heart beats fondly for my old KTM300, I rode the DR200 far, far more frequently. Around the farm and the neighborhood it was just more practical. If I lived in SoCal or had a lot of near by acres to ride on, a 300 or the like would be back in the stable, but it was not the bike/place/time for me. Oddly enough I sold both bikes to the same guy on the same day.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #164
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

"Maybe I should run with my dual sport hazard lights on to keep the serious off-roaders from mowing me down on the trails "

Nobody insinuated this, we all have different goals in our riding. I don't look down on anyone, if you're having fun, that's all that matters. I ride a lot of street but I'm a "squid" there, I don't hang it out on the street. Everyone has their comfort zone.
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS

Last edited by woodsguy; 07-18-2018 at 10:08 AM.
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #165
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Just get out and ride the dang thing!!

You will know soon enough whether it is the right bike for what you want to do and you can move on from there. Nothing is set in stone. Woodsguy nailed it. Go have fun!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #166
ntklr650

From the sounds of it, you are already loving and using the bike for it's intended use. You enjoy running errands (on the street) and running around your pasture. Yes it's not a crazy dirt bike but you don't have to trailer it to the trail as well. Will it ride on or off road at a comfortable speed? Is it a great bike for your daughter to learn? Are you never allowed to buy a new bike again when you are ready? I think you can figure those things out. It's a great bike and does exceptional well at what it is designed for of which it sounds like you are already enjoying it for. I have enjoyed mountain bike riding, rock crawling in Jeep's, and riding motorcycles on and off road. I have never had the best tool for the job but I always had fun with what I had and what I could afford. Slow and steady wins the race. Congratulations on the purchase and enjoy it. If you ride to the limit of the bike and you want more, then make it happen. If you don't find the limits of the bike in your riding then you are good to go.

I don't claim to be a dirt bike ride in any way but the most fun I have had in single track with sand and rocks was on a CT70. Ride what you can and pick the thing up and carry it over what you can't.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

New status: On two wheels again.
Old status: In between bikes right now
ntklr650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #167
Jarrett

Good stuff, thanks

One other good use. It's a good first bike to get on. Good for friends that have never ridden before to come out and take it for a spin around the pasture in relative safety. My buddy and his wife both came out and rode it last night while their daughter played with the dogs, horses and goats. Might have a new TWT'er soon.

Last edited by Jarrett; 07-19-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #168
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Good stuff, thanks

One other good use. It's a good first bike to get on. Good for friends that have never ridden before to come out and take it for a spin around the pasture in relative safety. My buddy and his wife both came out and rode it last night while their daughter played with the dogs, horses and goats. Might have a new TWT'er soon.

Most excellent! still may get one myself.
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #169
Jarrett

Funny thing. After riding this CRF250L only for the last couple of weeks, I hopped on my daughter's NC700X and went down at the street and back and the acceleration surprised me a little.

And it's slow compared to my big bike. Now I'm a little scared to get back on my Africa Twin

It's wild what we get used to.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #170
ntklr650

Great picture by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #171
Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntklr650 View Post
Great picture by the way.
His wife took it, she's a pro photographer. She gets all the good shots even with a phone.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #172
ntklr650

Don't you hate that? It truly is the hand and not the tool with in reason.
Quote:
His wife took it, she's a pro photographer. She gets all the good shots even with a phone.

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

Old 07-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #173
2WheelNut

Quote:
Funny thing. After riding this CRF250L only for the last couple of weeks, I hopped on my daughter's NC700X and went down at the street and back and the acceleration surprised me a little.

And it's slow compared to my big bike. Now I'm a little scared to get back on my Africa Twin

It's wild what we get used to.
Once you learn a bike, it's super easy to re-acclimate yourself to it. Ride 3 corners on it and you'll be back at home on it.

(at least that's my experience with the various bikes in my garage)
2013 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
2012 Yamaha WR450F (SuMo or Enduro capable)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track only)
2WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #174
Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
Once you learn a bike, it's super easy to re-acclimate yourself to it. Ride 3 corners on it and you'll be back at home on it.

(at least that's my experience with the various bikes in my garage)
I'm sure I'll be running 100 mph on it by 9am Saturday morning
Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #175
MacDaddy

Quote:
Good stuff, thanks
Sergio?

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #176
Jarrett

Yep, the Serg is considering a purchase.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #177
MacDaddy

Set that hook son!

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #178
Jarrett

lol, I've sent him 4-5 bikes off CL including that XT250 that's for sale here.

He seemed to like my CRF250L. I thought that or a KLR650 might be a good place to start.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #179
weekend_warrior

Ha! Spread the good word..... Did that MC come with AC though? After walking outside to give the plants a little water I think I wilted just a bit...
06 KTM450EXC (plated) - For Sale
weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:13 AM   #180
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Your signature has grown !
For Sale: Dark Blue 8'Bed E.Cab 2000 Silverado
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is online now   Reply With Quote