TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
Swagfu

GPS tracking?

Is there a software program that will allow people at home track my progress on a trip via GPS? I don't know that I need it, but thought it sounded interesting. Family can check on my progress without calling or texting me. They can see when I have stopped for the night or for where I am if they want to know.

Has anyone used something like this?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
rpcraft

Re: GPS tracking?

I know there is a way you can share your trip progress from your phone on iphone and stuff like that. Aside from that there is the Spot tracking device for emergencies but not sure how it can be used for normal use while riding. There is a fellow here, he doesn't post up as much as he used to but you can send him a message on how he goes about it of no one else with more knowledge pipes up. His forum name is Ken Phenix. Ken does a lot of Iron Butt/Bun burner related stuff and ride for distance and I know in the past on another forum he was using his GPS to track his trip in real time. It was pretty cool and he had a trip on Wristtwisters a couple years back where he went over to the west coast and rode a ton of miles while displaying his gps position, so he can definitely tell you about how he did it. I think he spends more of his time riding then writing but if you send him a message he'll get back to you soon as he can manage.
2002 V-Strom DL1000 - Pictures
rpcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #3
WOC 69-7

You can use a free smart phone app that will track you as long as you have cell service. SPOT satellite tracking is needed in remote areas.
56 Harley FL ABS(front wheel only)
WOC 69-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
bwdmax
Forum Supporter

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...hlight=inreach

Gary
525 EXC & 650 V-Strom (mine)
CRF150F (family) CRF110F (Daughter)
Foreman 450 (family) TRX250R (could be yours)
XR250R (Son)

http://www.matamoroschildrenshome.org/
bwdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Swagfu

That was a lot of good reading. May be more than I really need though. I did like the delorme sos feature. And that may be something i get just for the piece of mind. I am not going to going off road anywhere..although that sounds extremely fun. I am looking for something that my family can log into on the internet and see where I am. Mostly on the highway or known roads. I already have a garmin gps, and a cell phone of course. Plus, I would like something relatively simple to use as some family members are older or less computer savvy.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
dukey33

On iPhones, the Find my Friends app will do exactly what you want so long as your phone is in service areas. Set up is easy, you send a request from your phone to whom you want to be able to track you. So long as the recipient can run the app on their phone or tablet (dunno if 'droids and others can) and have it loaded they just accept and are good to go.

Maybe that's less than what you are looking for.
dukey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
medicjeff
Forum Supporter

My dad and his lady friend just set off on about a month long road trip in his truck heading up to Vallejo California to visit his brother. Their taking their time and visiting several places along the way. Their actually enjoying the cooler CO weather right now. My dad is 72 and not very tech savvy but can get around the basics on his phone. I downloaded find my friends app and sent him, my wife and my sister the invite code to join it. They all followed the instructions and downloaded the app.

So far it has worked great. Only down side is you need network connection. My dad dropped off while in Taos NM but once they got into CO it picked up again.

It works across both android and iphone. Me my dad and sister all have Samsung devices running android and my wife's phone is an iphone.
medicjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
Swagfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33 View Post
On iPhones, the Find my Friends app will do exactly what you want so long as your phone is in service areas. Set up is easy, you send a request from your phone to whom you want to be able to track you. So long as the recipient can run the app on their phone or tablet (dunno if 'droids and others can) and have it loaded they just accept and are good to go.

Maybe that's less than what you are looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicjeff View Post
My dad and his lady friend just set off on about a month long road trip in his truck heading up to Vallejo California to visit his brother. Their taking their time and visiting several places along the way. Their actually enjoying the cooler CO weather right now. My dad is 72 and not very tech savvy but can get around the basics on his phone. I downloaded find my friends app and sent him, my wife and my sister the invite code to join it. They all followed the instructions and downloaded the app.

So far it has worked great. Only down side is you need network connection. My dad dropped off while in Taos NM but once they got into CO it picked up again.

It works across both android and iphone. Me my dad and sister all have Samsung devices running android and my wife's phone is an iphone.

Thanks guys. I will look into this. Sounds like it would work for my needs.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
RTL

I have "Find Friends" app on my Apple cell phone and my wife can see exactly where I am at any time as long as I have signal.
RTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
paulcb

Several smartphone options, but all need wifi or cellualr data service...
  • Find my iPhone for people on the same iCloud account.
  • Find my Friends for anyone with an iOS device (iPhone, iPad)
  • SWconnect app with Spotwalla. Anyone with a browser can see where you are and your track.
paulcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
Crew Chief

Bubbler GPS Pro app on the smart phone and Spotwalla website for tracking. Only good while in cell range but it will send catch up info when you are in range again. Spotwalla is the site where everyone was following the Iron Butt Rally folks.
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
Thurmont

I have an Android cellphone, my wife and daughter have iPhones. We use an app called "Glympse" which is available for both platforms. You can pick with whom and for how long to share your location. You can also share your location via social media or people who don't have the app. They can view your location via a specific URL on Glympse's website.

http://glympse.com/

Oh BTW... it's free.
Thurmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

As mentioned, the SPOT system provides real time tracking, you can send anyone you want to your spot web page and it will allow them to see where you are and your trail, the map is updated every few minutes in real time. I use it to allow friends to track our off-road trips and know where we are.
05 CRF450X (for visitors - 2 off!!)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
00 XR200 (Daughter #1)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
Thrasherg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #14
Texas T

I've been a SPOT user for probably about 7-8 years now. Just now upgrading to the GEN 3 unit.

My wife/mom/sister/friends have my Spotwalla link and they can follow my rides wherever I happen to be. Plus it has the benefit of having the SOS button should I need it.

It's in Track mode most of the time, but if I'm going to stop somewhere for a little while I can just hit the OK button and they get an email telling them that I'm ok and it gives them my lat/long.

This is a screen shot of my last three rides combined. You can set the parameters of what you want your viewers to see in terms of the number of days, the number of "hits" you want displayed on the map, etc.

The green markers are where I hit OK on the SPOT.

www.findmespot.com

www.spotwalla.com

Last edited by Texas T; 07-12-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Downs

I use a Gen3 spot as well. Upgraded from a Gen 1 unit about a year ago. I use a spotwalla link to whoever I want to be able to see where I'm at. Last time I used it on a long trip it ran for almost a month daily on the same set of batteries.

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

97 Jeep XJ Sport "Adventure" Jeep.
Downs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I'll be heading out in the morning for a longish trip and will be using the SW Connect app on my iPhone6 with SpotWalla. So we'll see how it works.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #17
TLRam1

Do any of these apps or tracking devises use data from your phone?

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 04 WR450
TLRam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #18
paulcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRam1 View Post
Apps use data to transmit the GPS coords to another device or to a service on the internet, i.e. the Spotwalla website.

Tracking devices such as Spot, do not need your phone or its data.
paulcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRam1 View Post
The SPOT is a standalone unit.

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

97 Jeep XJ Sport "Adventure" Jeep.
Downs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
voyagerrider
Forum Supporter

I have also had a SPOT for several years. It is a Gen 1 that still works fine so I see no reason to upgrade as yet. My wife & granddaughter are privy to to my SPOT tracks using the phone app. In fact we carried the SPOT in our truck for a recent 5000 mile trip in it pulling our travel trailer so our granddaughter to could where we were. My wife also uses the Life360 app on her iPhone to follow me as I ride the bike as well as the SPOT.
So, I can't get away with anything?

Marty

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

IBA #31625
voyagerrider is offline   Reply With Quote