Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #41
SilverBullet

Re: Need to Consider SPOT Device Alternative Before I Renew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasM View Post
... Regardless of the device though, I wish everyone I travelled with had at least something. I gave away my Gen2 Spot after I got my InReach for that reason.
^ This!

I see much upselling for the Garmin/DeLorme in this and other threads, but fact is 80% of people (or more) ride with nothing. Biggest reason being cost. Going "halfway" still gives a decent safety factor without breaking the bank. Start with something then upgrade later when you can or if you want to.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #42
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Spot Global phone, just happened to see it when I checked current plan rates. Appears to give the same emergency response as the SOS button does.
The SPOT phone is just that, a satellite phone. It's not a tracker. Rates start at $65 a month and 65 cents for each of the first 100 minutes and then 99 cents for each minute after that.

On top of that you have annual "network maintenance" fees of $150 - $180.

It has INBOUND texting but nothing outgoing.

Compared to that, the InReach is far and away the better choice.

For emergency response, both SPOT and InReach use the GEOS system to help recover you.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #43
tricepilot

Interesting article on cost of ownership, SPOT vs inReach

LINK

And if a minority of the population seems intent to down rate the value of the best possible device to have when you actually need what you bought the darn thing for, that's up to them. It's your life, have at it.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #44
tricepilot

When I flew in the Air Force we used to kid ourselves that our ejection seats were built by the lowest possible bidder
Old 03-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #45
tricepilot

Another good

LINK

And they seem to be endless

From that link, an excerpt:

"Cost: Iíve put an asterisk on this because the base cost of SPOT is cheaper. But it depends on how you use your device. SPOT Gen 3 retails for $150, and if you sign up with a subscription you can get it for $75. A subscription is $149.99 a year. This covers unlimited tracking. You can then get message bundles for $24.99 for 100 or $49.99 for 500. For a full list of prices and services click here. The Delorme Explorer is $379.95, and you can currently get $75 off. Subscription services start at $11.95/mo and up to $99.95 per month depending on if you go with an annual or monthly contract and how much messaging you need, all of them cover unlimited tracking and SOS services. For a full list of prices and plans click here. Delorme is more expensive, BUT, if you go with a monthly plan you can activate or deactivate whenever you want, and most of us only need to use our trackers at certain times of the year so the cost really depends on how you use it. Given everything Iíve mentioned above and given itís your life on the line, to me cost shouldnít really be a factor. Itís like going backcountry skiing these days without an avalanche airbag. Isnít your life worth more than a few hundred bucks?"
Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #46
KoryJ

I sure like my inReach. I have the yearly flexible plan. So I just pay when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KoryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #47
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryJ View Post
I sure like my inReach. I have the yearly flexible plan. So I just pay when I need it.
Me as well. I iced my account when I got back from Guatemala a couple of weeks ago. Will restart the plan next venture. Basically I used the inReach approximately 4 months a year and ice the account the other 8.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:20 AM   #48
ThomasM
Let's go to Mexico!
Forum Supporter

I've been lazy about icing mine, so it probably costs me more than it needs to, but oh well, one less thing to do for that spur of the moment trip to Mexico. Going to try to actually learn everything about it before heading to BB next week.

Rent our Port Aransas getaway:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...53#post1164353
http://www.seaisle46.com
ThomasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #49
tricepilot

Try this playlist link for tutorials and more

LINK
Old 03-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #50
busarider1

Well, this is a timely thread. Sort of. I just activated a Spot 2 that was basically given to me. I have used the SPOT 1 for about 4 years and let it deactivate the last 2. I have an upcoming trip to Mexico so I decided to activate and pay the 170ish fee for SPOT.

After reading this thread, I really wish I had the inReach now and will definitely research before I pay another year on the SPOT.
1982 Honda Goldwing
1993 GTS-1000 x3
2000 Hayabusa
2003 V-strom (1k)

If it ain't ugly and Suzuki; I ain't riding it!!!
busarider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #51
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by busarider1 View Post
Well, this is a timely thread. Sort of. I just activated a Spot 2 that was basically given to me. I have used the SPOT 1 for about 4 years and let it deactivate the last 2. I have an upcoming trip to Mexico so I decided to activate and pay the 170ish fee for SPOT.

After reading this thread, I really wish I had the inReach now and will definitely research before I pay another year on the SPOT.
Like David said up thread, at least you have something, and most people don't ride with any SOS tech

The good news is, when you ride Mexico, you can't be in better hands when things go wrong with either yourself and/or your bike, and that's directly due to the nature of the Mexican culture. In a pinch, you couldn't be in a better place.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #52
KoryJ

Need to Consider SPOT Device Alternative Before I Renew

Here is a really good video that sums up a lot of questions that have been brought up.

Last edited by KoryJ; 03-13-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 AM   #53
busarider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Like David said up thread, at least you have something, and most people don't ride with any SOS tech

The good news is, when you ride Mexico, you can't be in better hands when things go wrong with either yourself and/or your bike, and that's directly due to the nature of the Mexican culture. In a pinch, you couldn't be in a better place.
I'm definitely looking forward to it. Leave in 10 days. I'm on advrider as stromthingie. Been asking a lot of ?s there regarding border crossings/hotels/tequila/etc.

I see you are there as well.
1982 Honda Goldwing
1993 GTS-1000 x3
2000 Hayabusa
2003 V-strom (1k)

If it ain't ugly and Suzuki; I ain't riding it!!!
busarider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #54
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by busarider1 View Post
I'm definitely looking forward to it. Leave in 10 days. I'm on advrider as stromthingie. Been asking a lot of ?s there regarding border crossings/hotels/tequila/etc.

I see you are there as well.
Just be sure to take your original title, original Texas registration, your passport, and your driver license. You won't need your driver license to get TVIP or tourist visa (Guatemala required it a couple of weeks ago from me) but a cop might ask for it.

All the above plus proof of Mexico insurance and you're off to a flying start.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #55
BeemerlessBob
Forum Supporter

Need to Consider SPOT Device Alternative Before I Renew

Just a FYI

Some years back I purchased a spot global satellite phone because from a personal experience I determined that two way communication is critical. I now refrain from going remote places where I can get myself hurt so I discontinued my service plan but kept the phone in case I want to reactivated it. It is my understanding that SPOT will now let you just activate it a month at a time.

In the meantime, just like a cell phone, even though I do not have service, my 911 still works. So I still carry the satellite phone and a charger in the rig ďjust in caseĒ. So with my cell phone when in cell coverage or satellite phone when not, I always have 911 access.

There are cell phone apps that provide tracking. Obviously it will only work when in coverage.

Last edited by BeemerlessBob; 03-17-2018 at 09:32 AM.
BeemerlessBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #56
Texas T
Forum Supporter

I thought my SPOT renewed in July but I just checked and it was scheduled to renew on April 8 so I called and cancelled. Smooth, painless, no waiting in a queue line, email confirmation was sent. Total call time was UNDER 7 minutes which included some time for the rep to find me in the system and then verify my info, and also to send me a confirmation email which they don't do automatically.

He offered a discount to stay but I told him that SPOT doesn't have the features of the InReach that I need and he said "oh, you mean the two-way texting?", so it's obvious they know what the competition is offering.

Then I purchased a new InReach from Hodges Marine who has it on sale for $314.64. I purchased that and the USB powered mount for $28.62.

Total out the door cost for both was $348.21. I'm a Walmart employee and even with my discount I couldn't get that good a deal.

Here's a link: https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Garmin-...jqeniramsegdoh

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #57
Vinny
Forum Supporter

I just bought an inreach at the REI sale for $129
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #58
KoryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I just bought an inreach at the REI sale for $129

Good buy. I bought the explore model so it would the map also. I bought mine off amazon for about half price of new. But be carful buying on eBay or something. The one I bought had an outstanding balance so it took some time to convince the previous owner to pay the bill so I could activate it. Amazon was about to refund my money but he payed the bill off, where I was able to activate it.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #59
tricepilot

I just had the latest inReach delivered personally by Salma Hayak in her Gulfstream G650

Garmin didn’t charge me for the device due to my plugging in this thread
Old 03-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #60
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Mine arrived yesterday and I got it set up this morning. The one big downside I discovered is that I can't sync using my Chromebook; I have to pull out my old Windoze laptop so get everything set up and do the upgrades. Other than that I think I'm going to like it.