---------------------------------------------------
jhansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #22
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I have never tried it, but I have been told that you can use kerosene or diesel to flush the oil system multiple times to get it clean before you start putting oil back in the system. This is MUCH cheaper than using oil, even if you use some kind of cheap oil. I was told to install new filter, put in the diesel or kerosene, make sure the spark plug is removed, then crank the engine to get everything circulating through all the little lines and ports. Jumper cables and/or a spare battery might be needed depending on how much cranking and flushing it takes. Once you think the system is mostly clean, do the last flush with oil and then top off with fresh oil.

Diesel is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water until it becomes saturated. Of course, once you do this, you will not want to use the diesel in any motors. But it would probably still work for lighting a back yard bonfire or something similar.
all correct, the only down side is, what to do with the now contaminated diesel .

and understand the diesel is really only going to absorb moisture.. That water film, that drop of watter hiding behind a boss in the engine.

the flushing of water with diesel is more using the diesel to "move" or "flush" IOW carry the water with it on the way out.... so yes 5 gal of diesel, and the motor over a large plastic tub, and repeatedly "flushing" the motor with that diesel to move the water out and absorb some along the way works pretty well.
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #23
SilverBullet
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
I submerged a dirt bike in a water crossing once. I changed the oil approx. 12 times before it stopped looking milky.
I was there that day. Then 3 years later ended up buying that bike from you but forgot about the submarine ride in Peach Creek. Lol

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #24
Scorch

Three oil changes later and still not clean.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #25
aggie81

My bigger concern would be the hydrostatic transmission. If that is vented, as my Kubota is, water may have worked its way in there as well. I'd drain and have a look at the contents. You can always pour it back in if it's clean.
aggie81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #26
focus frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie81 View Post
My bigger concern would be the hydrostatic transmission. If that is vented, as my Kubota is, water may have worked its way in there as well. I'd drain and have a look at the contents. You can always pour it back in if it's clean.
he did.

you got to get the engine good and hot and it will cook any water off.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #27
Scorch

Aye, I drained it twice now, will refill it and see how it looks.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #28
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
Diesel is not hygroscopic in the slightest. That's why diesel powered vehicles all have water separator drains.
You use diesel in a engine because it acts like a solvent and cleans out sludge and goo very well.
Quote:
Hygroscopicity:

Diesel fuel is highly hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs water from moisture in the air. Water contamination in diesel fuel is of particular concern as it can lead to the corrosion of steel components and the promotion of microbial growth.
From here,

http://www.refuelsystems.com/en/caus...ater-in-diesel

Quote:
Dissolved water, sometimes called entrained water, is the result of diesel fuel being hygroscopic. That means that fuel has the ability to attract and hold water from the environment, whether it is from humid air or condensation on the wall of a fuel tank. And as the fuel temperature in the tank increases, so does the amount of water that can be dissolved and held in solution in the fuel.
From here,

http://www.the-triton.com/2016/03/wa...s-worst-enemy/

It will absorb water, but only until it is saturated. After that, it will start to just shove the remaining water through the system. Once the big pockets of water are gone, fresh diesel will help remove water from the places that are hard to mechanically flush, but which are still exposed to the diesel.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote