TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2018, 03:42 AM   #21
MacDaddy

Re: Bike for my Daughter?

I don't think the Honda X-ADV (DCT) is coming to our country yet but it might be the holy grail for your daughter. Then again maybe not. I report, you decide.

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #22
Windmill
Forum Supporter

I love the windshield adjustment and storage. That Adventure X is a cool bike. Lots of storage.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
Jarrett

That does seem like a cool bike. Wonder if its here or not, never seen one.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #24
Mr2mch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
Wee Strom ...

Good starter bike
Cheap to purchase and operate
Lots of options
Tons of aftermarket
Very capable

If it get wadded up, not a lot of investment.
The same....but different....

Kawasaki Versys 650.... Lower seat & lighter than the Strom 650

I owned both at the same time

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

IT happens..... then you put an SH in front of it

The Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide....Ask about my stickers
They're in the VENDOR SECTION
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #25
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Bear in mind, this is her first bike but not her first foray into two wheels or power sports. Like me, she has been riding bicycles for a bit and has done 40+ mile rides on them. She also used to race closed course on 1200-1300cc jet skis that were 250+ hp that out turned and out accelerated my Africa Twin.

Not to mention, she's been riding, breaking and competing on performance horses at the highest levels since she was 5.
Based upon that, I bet she wouldn't notice the weight or placement.

Of course, I've never been a female. So it is pure speculation on my part.
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #26
Jarrett

I just worry about her feet touching the ground when she stops.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #27
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
I don't think the Honda X-ADV (DCT) is coming to our country yet but it might be the holy grail for your daughter. Then again maybe not. I report, you decide.

Honda X ADV Review │First Ride │ Don't call it Scooter │ Cracking Mechanics - YouTube
I almost posted that but I don't think you can get them here. Everything I have been able to find on it shows them being all over Europe and elsewhere, but not here yet and nothing indicating it might come here anytime soon.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, youre a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, youre a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, youre a moderate. If you dont want government to intervene anywhere, youre an extremist. Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #28
ceddec

My understanding is the Honda X-ADV is basically a reconfigured NC 700X/NC 750 X.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #29
Jarrett

Today, I adjusted my Africa Twin seat to the low setting which is 33.5 in.

My daughter sat on it and could touch the balls of her feet to the ground on both sides while wearing sandals. I assume she could get more foot down if wearing motorcycle boots.

So I guess anything with a seat height off 33 inches or less would work?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #30
MacDaddy

Quote:
So I guess anything with a seat height off 33 inches or less would work?
Absolutely! Just as long as the seat is the exactly the same shape or narrower and the bike sags the same amount or more. So the answer really is sometimes.

Just like two people the same overall length but different inseams' might use two different bicycle frames or at least different set ups.

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #31
Jarrett

Thanks for all the help.

I got this 2012 NC700X DCT ABS yesterday for her to ride:

It's a fun little bike. Very nimble and easy to move around at low speeds. Hopefully a good starter bike for her.

Now I need to find her some riding gear. She's an adult small in shirts, I believe. If you have anything you'd like to path with, please let me know. Thanks
Old 06-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #32
hardybaker

Buy her the 2012 400 Suzuki Burgman scooter that's listed in the for sale section. I have two 650 Burgman and I like them so much I might buy that 400 just because I like Burgman sooooo much.
hardybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #33
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

jarrett...blue and silver, boy, thats pretty
For Sale: Dark Blue 8'Bed E.Cab 2000 Silverado
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #34
duchess

Very nice!
09 Yamaha fZ1 (for sale)
08 Yamaha fZ1
16 Honda 500f

"Quo Vadis?"
duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #35
ceddec

Good choice.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #36
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Very nice! I hope she really likes it!

There is a guy selling a Size 8 jacket on the forum right now.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117670

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, youre a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, youre a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, youre a moderate. If you dont want government to intervene anywhere, youre an extremist. Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #37
Lezbert

Quote:
Thanks for all the help.

I got this 2012 NC700X DCT ABS yesterday for her to ride:

It's a fun little bike. Very nimble and easy to move around at low speeds. Hopefully a good starter bike for her.

Now I need to find her some riding gear. She's an adult small in shirts, I believe. If you have anything you'd like to path with, please let me know. Thanks
My suggestion on gear is purchase new, and either let her try it on or order from someplace with a good return policy. Gear manufacturers have gotten better with designing their women's gear, but not all of them are quite there. Also, as I'm sure is the case with men's jackets, different brands fit different people differently. Let her try on some jackets and pants and see which fit her right, so you can both rest assured they're not just comfortable, but protecting her well, because the armor is in the right place for her body. I've had to return jackets before, because I ordered them strictly by size, and they just weren't right despite, technically, being my size. I now know which brands fit me best.
'17 Kawasaki Versys 650

"Stupid people are like Slinkys: Not good for much, but it's awfully fun to watch them fall down the stairs."

Last edited by Lezbert; 06-18-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Lezbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #38
pdef

You are very nice to buy your 23yo daughter a bike on Father's day.