TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,...

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2018, 12:41 AM   #1
notyou83

Hydration options while riding?

I've been riding to work at night a bit lately and although its only about 90 degrees, I still want something to drink before I finish my 45 minute ride in. There are camel backs which seem good, but I don't want something on my back trapping more body heat. Can something like that be set on the tank in a bag or something to use while moving?

What are everyone's ideas? I'd like to know what works best for full face helmets as that's what I have. A water bottle with a bendy straw would work at stop lights, but not on the freeway.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:05 AM   #2
Meriden

Re: Hydration options while riding?

I use a Hydrapak shape shift. Tough and easy to clean. Fits in a tank bag or backpack, your choice.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:32 AM   #3
notyou83

If its in a tank bag, can you still drink from it easily? I always assumed the camel back used gravity to feed the water most of the way through the tube. I've never used anything like it before so I know nothing. Those look pretty simple and well priced.

Thanks for the link Meriden
Old 06-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #4
JMZ

When I'm on my Tenere I put my Camelback on the tank. Works good.
93 CT70
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou83 View Post
I don't want something on my back trapping more body heat.

Filled with enough ice, the camelbak will actually be cooling you down. Or, get an extension hose and put the pack on the back seat or tank. Gravity isn't needed, the thing can be below you and you can still comfortably drink from it...
Old 06-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
Liteitup
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Filled with enough ice, the camelbak will actually be cooling you down. Or, get an extension hose and put the pack on the back seat or tank. Gravity isn't needed, the thing can be below you and you can still comfortably drink from it...
In a cooler, iced down.

I got these lines in my face
Tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
G. Clark
Liteitup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
Jarrett
Forum Supporter

https://moskomoto.com/products/nomad-tank-bag

The Adventure Tejas guys had these.
2012 NC700X

For Sale:
2018 KLR650
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
misterk
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post

The nomad is the cats meow for me! The bladder works well. On tour I will have a camel back on my back and the water bladder in the mosko nomad.
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
copb8
Forum Supporter

I just got turned on to the packing ice in the camelbak trick. It makes a big difference in the comfort on your back and quality of the refreshment. If you already have a camelbak I'd try this first before spending any more money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
copb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
Meriden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post

I've put my hydrapak behind me in the Reckless 80. Works there too, but it's easy to lose the hose.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
Liteitup
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
I've put my hydrapak behind me in the Reckless 80. Works there too, but it's easy to lose the hose.
Retractable keyholder thingamajig

I got these lines in my face
Tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
G. Clark
Liteitup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
Meriden

That's a good idea! Thanks

The way the Mosko fits on the XChallenge it is hard to wear any type of day pack.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #13
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I am a big fan of putting ice in the bladder, if it is available. Many times, when stopping for gas, they will let me get ice out of the soda machine without any charge once I explain what I want to do. Also, when finished with lunch, if we eat at a restaurant, I will ask for a pitcher of ice and dump it in the bladder.

Realistically though, I have not found that wearing my backpack makes me any hotter than not wearing it. I wear a KLIM Badlands Pro jacket. The armor is ribbed and also has holes in it to allow for air flow even if it is pressed against the back. Also, my backpack has raised pad with gaps between them that also allows for air flow between the pack and the jacket. The only real issue is how much weight I am willing to have on my back. I have found that I prefer to have a three liter bladder for a single day ride, especially if it is hot. There have been times where I have drained it by noon, or shortly thereafter! I sometimes even carry a ceramic water filter so I can refill it from a creek, lake, puddle, whatever. But, that is only for times when I am WAY out in the boonies.

One piece of advice I would stress is don't put anything in it that has sugar. If you forget to clean it right away, it will start growing all kinds of fuzzy things. This is what I currently use:

https://kriega.com/riderpacks/r20

The bladder opens at the top completely, so you can stick your entire hand inside it. It folds over and has a clip that slides over the fold so it cannot come open. It has NEVER leaked at all. It makes cleaning super easy compared to the Camel-Bak bladders with the screw type lids. Filling is also easier, especially with ice. The backpack can hold quite a bit. I usually put stuff like extra gloves, snacks, sweatshirt (when it is cold), and other light stuff so that the water is the only real weight. The backpack sits VERY comfortably on my shoulders and back. I don't really even notice it when riding. It is also quite durable. I have crash tested it with a nasty high side into a lot of dirt/mud. I landed on it and the bladder did not rupture and the pack itself shows no indication of wear. I have also worn it in heavy rains and the contents stayed dry even though it is technically not water proof. I still put things that MUST stay dry in big Zip-Loc bags.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #14
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
I just got turned on to the packing ice in the camelbak trick. It makes a big difference in the comfort on your back and quality of the refreshment. If you already have a camelbak I'd try this first before spending any more money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
+1
And I've rode in some crazy hot temps (up to 118°F) without thinking twice. I like to drink while standing on the pegs so bladder must be on my back. Standing is a great technique to stay cool also.

I also never have to buy water. At each gas or food stop just top off your bladder as needed with ice. All those fountain machines filter their water used to make ice. I've only had one place in all of NA riding, 5 yrs, 135k miles to charge me for ice. Exxon station in Presidio, TX.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #15
jhansen

I have a camel back brand pack. Used it yesterday while running to Yorktown for a tour of Honor pic. Finally dawned on me to wear it under my jacket. Full of ice, courtesy of the Brenham Starbucks, and what a difference. Made the last part of the ride bearable. 2pm on 290. HOT. Now what to do about the 2X10 with foam Honda calls a seat.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
AMA #289603 Life member
Patriot Guard Rider
Ride like your life depends on it...because it does
---------------------------------------------------
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #16
Texas T
Forum Supporter

I use a Geigerrig because it has a pressured bladder. I have the biggest one they make and it will typically last me all day even in the hottest of temps. When two-up it sits laying down on the trunk top rack. When solo it sits upright on the passenger seat. I have a long enough tube that it comes up the right side of the bike and then crosses over my lap/tank with the mouthpiece secured between my GPS and my clutch cylinder.

I use it to not only drink from but to spray down my jacket sleeves in order to soak my LD Comfort shirt. With a typical hydration pack you need to be sure to blow the excess water in the tube back into the reservoir or the next sip you take is going to be pretty hot. With the Geigerrig I just sqeeze the mouthpiece and the water sprays until it's cold again.

https://www.aquamira.com/geigerrig/p...dration-packs/

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:43 PM   #17
notyou83

great info so far. thanks everyone. I'll start doing research on cost vs features and find something.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:38 AM   #18
tshelfer

I use the same camelbak for bicycle or motorcycle riding. Works great. In hot weather on a long ride, I make it a point to take a sip every 10 minutes or so.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
I make it a point to take a sip every 10 minutes or so.
This is what a lot of people fail to understand. Your body can only absorb so much fluid in a given amount of time. If you drink more than it can consume, it just passes on through and makes you have to whiz. I see people that will go a long time between drinks, then guzzle a huge drink at a stop, and they don't understand why they are getting so thirsty and dehydrated. If you are at the point where you are really thirsty and/or your mouth is getting dry, you are already way behind and it will be exceptionally hard to catch up unless you just stop your activity. Taking regular drinks (like 5-6 mouth fulls) every 10-15 minutes will do wonders for keeping you hydrated. It is amazing how much fluid you can take in and sweat out even in a few hours. If you do it right, you will rarely have to stop for a bathroom break.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #20
cheez
Forum Supporter

All great advice here. On the cruisers I tend to run a sports waterbottle up on the dash- a bicycle style squeeze/squirt style usually. On the sportbike I've been putting the camelbak in the tankbag and that seems to work; on the dirtbike I'm running the camelbak on my back and not minding it very much. Good to know that it can be loaded with ice- haven't tried that yet.
2008 Harley Davidson FLHRPI Road King Police (Porky The Pig Bike!)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
2002 Honda VTX1800R (Poor Punkin got smashed by an inattentive kid)

IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || Thursday Night Irregular
cheez is online now   Reply With Quote