TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
notyou83

Re: Messed up magneto cover (DR650)

I had a similar issue on my Yamaha SR185. I drilled 2 holes before I had the replacement part in to measure and got really lucky I didn't hit the threads in the casing itself. You said it yourself, do some measurements before you try much of anything.

I actually used a circle clip tool to hit the holes I drilled and ended up bending the prongs on the tool a little. Good thing it was from Harbor Freight and didn't cost me much. I wish I had thought of 2 screws or a punch set and screw driver instead. Might have been easier.

I will say that in my experience, the break free stuff I sprayed didn't seem to do much if anything. I'm guessing it didn't seep into any of the threads to loosen them up. Good luck.
notyou83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #22
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou83 View Post
I'm guessing it didn't seep into any of the threads to loosen them up. Good luck.
My experience is it not thread binding, it is the cap edge seating against the case, and perhaps some binding in threads as well...I Just know , no amount of penetration fluid has ever helped...and once the center hex is damaged, it takes literally longer to walk over and chuck op a drill bit then it does to drill a small divot and loosen it with a single strike of the punch and hammer.. Less time if you use a chisel but you have to get the angle right and be confident to hit the chisel hard. Words apparently are not conveying how easy this is....
To each his own, do what works for you
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #23
WhiskeySmith
Uff Da
Forum Supporter

Attempted four types of removal today, but wasn't able to break the cover loose.

Attempt #1 was with a torx bit. All I managed to do was round out the hole some more. The metal seems very soft.

Attempt #2 was with a borrowed extractor. Same result as the torx bit. Just a larger hole.

Attempt #3 was drilling two holes and using a borrowed spanner wrench. The wrench fit well but slipped out as soon as a decent amount of pressure was applied. Maybe screws would hold better and then using a screwdriver might work.

Attempt #4 was to angle a punch, strike it to get the cover to loosen. You can see the angled hole in the picture above.

Will try to find suitable screws and try that method. Else I will remove the crank case cover and take it to the guys in the machine shop at work.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #24
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySmith View Post
Attempted four types of removal today, but wasn't able to break the cover loose.

Attempt #1 was with a torx bit. All I managed to do was round out the hole some more. The metal seems very soft.

Attempt #2 was with a borrowed extractor. Same result as the torx bit. Just a larger hole.

Attempt #3 was drilling two holes and using a borrowed spanner wrench. The wrench fit well but slipped out as soon as a decent amount of pressure was applied. Maybe screws would hold better and then using a screwdriver might work.

Attempt #4 was to angle a punch, strike it to get the cover to loosen. You can see the angled hole in the picture above.

Will try to find suitable screws and try that method. Else I will remove the crank case cover and take it to the guys in the machine shop at work.
Where are you at?
Your welcome to bring it over, I'll remove the cap while you get your vehicle turned around. It will be ready by the time your ready to load up and go back home.
>
Not kidding
Post event services

Total Rider
Old 04-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #25
Jcstratt

I could be wrong but....my recollection is the stock plugs were never polished/shiny. Whoever replaced it may have put red threadlocker on it.
Jcstratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #26
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcstratt View Post
I could be wrong but....my recollection is the stock plugs were never polished/shiny. Whoever replaced it may have put red threadlocker on it.
You have a point, anything is possible... Hit it with a heat gun, get it to 200-250c that will loosen any anaerobic thread lock likely to have been used.
Post event services

Total Rider
Old 04-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #27
Windmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Marquez View Post
You have a point, anything is possible... Hit it with a heat gun, get it to 200-250c that will loosen any anaerobic thread lock likely to have been used.
Bet you are correct. Color blindness?
While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease, Genesis 8:22 Amp.
Windmill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #28
Windmill

Quote:
Good eye
While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease, Genesis 8:22 Amp.
Windmill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:42 AM   #29
WhiskeySmith
Uff Da
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Where are you at?
Your welcome to bring it over, I'll remove the cap while you get your vehicle turned around. It will be ready by the time your ready to load up and go back home.
>
Not kidding
Thank you for the gracious offer. I would love to have a professional work on this. However, given that this shouldn't be that big of a deal and I'm 2.5 hours south of you without an easy method to get the bike to you, I'll keep trying to get this done here at home.

Quote:
I brought in someone with actual mechanic skills (my BIL) and his words were "Dang (language cleaned up) this thing is tight! It didn't even budge." We are wondering if the rubber o-ring is missing or has deteriorated and allowed the cover to tighten. Here is a picture of the new cover. It was advertised as a Suzuki branded part. You can see that the finish is nothing like the cover currently on the bike.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #30
WoodButcher
Administrator

Guaranteed there is no thread lock on it by me. This is my old bike and I had problems with the previous cover so I was very careful putting the new one on. Part came as a Suzuki part number from Bike Bandit.

How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world
That has such people in't!

William Shakespeare - The Tempest

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #31
Jcstratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySmith View Post
Thank you for the gracious offer. I would love to have a professional work on this. However, given that this shouldn't be that big of a deal and I'm 2.5 hours south of you without an easy method to get the bike to you, I'll keep trying to get this done here at home.

I brought in someone with actual mechanic skills (my BIL) and his words were "Dang (language cleaned up) this thing is tight! It didn't even budge." We are wondering if the rubber o-ring is missing or has deteriorated and allowed the cover to tighten. Here is a picture of the new cover. It was advertised as a Suzuki branded part. You can see that the finish is nothing like the cover currently on the bike.

This photo is the OEM DR650 cover...

The one you're trying to remove was likely for the Boulevard S40. It had a polished stator cover. Another possibility is dissimilar metal corrosion. In any case, heat is still your friend.
Jcstratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #32
WhiskeySmith
Uff Da
Forum Supporter

Quote:
...In any case, heat is still your friend.
I don't have the equipment to heat it up so will reach out to the machine shop at work and some other local mechanics that might be in a position to help.

This cover is now like the boulder in the mining camp's stream that Hull Barret was trying to break in the movie Pale Rider. "...it's like this rock and me have kind of an agreement. I'm going to do it in, or it's going to do me in."
Old 04-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #33
budzrex

if you want to do it at home, pull the case cover off drill a hole through the main center hole of your plug and put and bolt and nut through the hole double nut the bolt and you can use the bolt to spin it out

as long as your pin drilling has not gotten into the threads

or just buy one off of ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-SUZUKI...IAAOSwMlRajZgo
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #34
Bajaexplorer

Like Marquez stated :

Quote:
My experience is it not thread binding, it is the cap edge seating against the case, and perhaps some binding in threads as well...I Just know , no amount of penetration fluid has ever helped...and once the center hex is damaged, it takes literally longer to walk over and chuck op a drill bit then it does to drill a small divot and loosen it with a single strike of the punch and hammer.. Less time if you use a chisel but you have to get the angle right and be confident to hit the chisel hard. Words apparently are not conveying how easy this is....
To each his own, do what works for you
It is easy to get out. Same thing happened to me.
I drilled a hole in it, not all the way through, and used punch to break it loose.

When you go back in with new one, put some zinc based antiseize on that rubber gasket, just a bit along the outside of it where that flange is.

You do not use lock-tight on it, you have to take it off maintenance.
Which for me every 3 months or so.

Does not need to be tight, just snug.
What happens is you compress the o-ring and the flange of the plug binds against the cover.
Bajaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote