TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Upcoming Rides, Trips and Events > Ride/Trip Planning Info

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
drfood
Forum Supporter

Utah, Colorado, Home

Jay and I will be out west June 18-July 8 due to a convention in Lost Wages the last week of June. It's rough having to plan a riding vacation around a convention ain't it

Going out there things are pretty set timewise due to Jay having to be in Lafayette the week before we leave. His parents are in their 80's and he is having to spend more time over there these days helping them keep on top of things.

Day 1--Houston to Ft. Stockton (hotel) (Leave on Father's Day)
Day 2--Ft. Stockton to Silver City, NM (hotel)
Day 3--Silver City to Mather Campground Grand Canyon (191 in AZ has been removed the the trip this year )
Day 4&5--South Rim Grand Canyon (camping)
Day 6--South Rim to Lost Wages via old route 66
Day 7-11--Lost Wages
Day 12--Lost Wages to Zion NP
Day 13-14--Zion NP (camping and hiking Angel's Landing )
Day 15--Zion NP to Moab UT (via Utah 12)(Is there any way to avoid riding all the way up to I-70 to get to Moab and still ride 12?)
Day 16--Moab==>going to Arches NP want to be at Delicate Arch for sunset(Staying in hotel for 3 nights in Moab)
Day 17--Moab==>riding to Moki Dugway, Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument, Valley of Gods and back to Moab
Day 18--Moab, UT to Black Canyon of Gunnison National Park CO (camping)
Day 19--Black Canyon of Gunnison to Alamosa (camping or hotel)
Day 20--Alamosa to Santa Fe (going to Great Sand Dunes on way to Santa Fe) (hotel or staying with sister)
Day 21--Santa Fe to Abilene (hotel)
Day 22--Abilene to Houston

The route out west is set in concrete due to timing. I have to be back in the office on July 10, so we cannot extend the trip past day 22.

Road/route/sights to see suggestions on the 2nd half of the trip are welcome. I'm especially interested to hear of route suggestions between Moab and Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Jay rides a 2012 V-Strom 650 and I have a 2014 V-Strom 650. We are running Pilot Road 4's on the bikes. Moki Dugway is about as off-road as we want to get on the trip.

Thanks.
drfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
kickstand~prophet

Re: Utah, Colorado, Home

If you are going to camp try the KOA at Gunnison they have A-frame cabins that are like $40 bucks a night. Call ahead of time because there are only maybe five of them or so. For a motel The Long Holiday is a great place to hang your helmets also. Eat a steak at the Ole Miner steak house in Gunnison and breakfast at the "W" cafe. French toast and bacon yummy.

1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou

Last edited by kickstand~prophet; 05-24-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: add picture
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
kickstand~prophet

Day 19 if it was me I would go CO50 to CO149 all the way till South Fork then 160 to Pagosa Springs,next 84 south to Chama,NM. ON 149 you can visit the North Clear Creek falls and take some pictures. Spend the night in Chama. Take a ride on the Toltec @ Cumbres train. Then 64 to Taos. Loop 38 the enchanted circle to NM434,last 518 to Las Vegas,NM. On 38 you can go north or south depending on time. Home from there. Hope this helps.

From Moab take 70 to Delta CO then 92 to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. The back road is excellent. Here is a shot of what you can see riding around the back side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

North Clear Creek falls. Watch for it many including myself have driven past not knowing it was there.

1985 Yamaha RZ350

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou

Last edited by kickstand~prophet; 06-05-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add content
Old 05-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
drfood
Forum Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions.....Forgot to notate. Camping at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Reserved the site via the NPS camping site.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfood View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.....Forgot to notate. Camping at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Reserved the site via the NPS camping site.
In Chama stay at the Branding Iron and eat at High Country. Have you been to Colorado or New Mexico before?
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Last edited by kickstand~prophet; 05-24-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
drfood
Forum Supporter

Yes. We did the Durango to Silverton train 3 years ago in October.

Many many many years ago as a kid we visited Royal Gorge. Never been to Black Canyon area.

We've been to ABQ and Farmington and Santa Fe, my sister lives SE of Santa Fe in a housing development where there are a lot of homes w/horses.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
crazyjeeper

Quote:
Day 15--Zion NP to Moab UT (via Utah 12)(Is there any way to avoid riding all the way up to I-70 to get to Moab and still ride 12?)
You could take 95 south from Hanksville down to Blanding and then up 191 to Moab. I rode 12 and 95 a few years ago and 95 was spectacular. It is about 90 more miles than taking 24 north from Hanksville up to 70 to get to Moab.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #8
humanrace

Just at the top of Moki Dugway, there is a dirt road west to Mulie Point. About 5 miles of dirt, but worth the ride. Just did it on an FZ1, so the road is not too bad. https://www.google.com/search?q=mule...=1496552817906
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
humanrace

A turn off from Highway 12 in Boulder is Burr Trail. The highlight of our trip and that's saying a lot since we were in Southern Utah and Eastern Utah. It's 20 miles long paved and then 10 more miles of maintained dirt. Very beautiful.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #10
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Which needs to include the obligatory stop for an ice cream cone at Delgadillo's Snow Cap in Seligman.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
amorley

I'll be in the same region around the same time but going on up to Alaska

Detailed trip on Spotwalla.

I'll start on June 13 with attending RockSTOC III in Ouray, CO and then take a leisurely long route through the National Parks to attend NatSTOC XII in Spearfish, SD. Then north to Canada and Alaska through the rest of July. After fitting a new set of tires in Fairbanks, if the weather is kind the goal is reach the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway. I plan to return via Vancouver and then across to Tofino on Vancouver Island. The goal is to follow the west coast all the way south to San Diego before turning east and returning to Texas.

Detailed Planned Itinerary
2005 Honda ST1300A (aka STA5, Sold)
amorley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #12
Zonie

Quote:
Jay and I will be out west June 18-July 8 due to a convention in Lost Wages the last week of June. It's rough having to plan a riding vacation around a convention ain't it

Going out there things are pretty set timewise due to Jay having to be in Lafayette the week before we leave. His parents are in their 80's and he is having to spend more time over there these days helping them keep on top of things.

Day 1--Houston to Ft. Stockton (hotel) (Leave on Father's Day)
Day 2--Ft. Stockton to Silver City, NM (hotel)
Day 3--Silver City to Mather Campground Grand Canyon (191 in AZ has been removed the the trip this year )
Day 4&5--South Rim Grand Canyon (camping)
Day 7-11--Lost Wages
Day 12--Lost Wages to Zion NP
Day 13-14--Zion NP (camping and hiking Angel's Landing )
Day 16--Moab==>going to Arches NP want to be at Delicate Arch for sunset(Staying in hotel for 3 nights in Moab)
Day 17--Moab==>riding to Moki Dugway, Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument, Valley of Gods and back to Moab
Day 18--Moab, UT to Black Canyon of Gunnison National Park CO (camping)
Day 19--Black Canyon of Gunnison to Alamosa (camping or hotel)
Day 20--Alamosa to Santa Fe (going to Great Sand Dunes on way to Santa Fe) (hotel or staying with sister)
Day 21--Santa Fe to Abilene (hotel)
Day 22--Abilene to Houston

The route out west is set in concrete due to timing. I have to be back in the office on July 10, so we cannot extend the trip past day 22.

Road/route/sights to see suggestions on the 2nd half of the trip are welcome. I'm especially interested to hear of route suggestions between Moab and Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Jay rides a 2012 V-Strom 650 and I have a 2014 V-Strom 650. We are running Pilot Road 4's on the bikes. Moki Dugway is about as off-road as we want to get on the trip.

Thanks.
North of Silver City on US180 is the wide spot in the road called Glenwood. There is a sign for the Catwalk, a nice place to cool off for a few. A catwalk goes up the canyon over the stream where there used to be a water powered ore crusher. Check it out if you have time.
Hwy 12 up over Bolder Mtn in fun you ride the Devils Backbone on a ridge with sheer drops on both sides. Nothing over 35 ft is "supposed" to be on that road. Watch out for deer, much bigger than Texas deer by a long shot.
Zonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #13
drfood
Forum Supporter

We are now T -3.5 days and counting. Lots of small projects to do...what did I get myself into.

Left to do--
  • Install Eastern Beaver circuit and fuse box in 1 bike
  • Install LED headlights on J's bike
  • New helmet for Darrell arrives today, make sure it fits
  • Install shelf on Darrell's DL650 w/powerlets and volt meter
  • Install Barkbusters on Darrell's DL650
  • Install new tank bags on both bikes
  • Install LED turn signal "bulbs" on both bikes
  • Install LED brake "bulbs" on both bikes
  • Finish cancelling double booked motels
  • Set up tent to air out and repack
  • Pack panniers
  • Test and play with new Sony A6000 camera before we leave--This is most important thing
  • Pack and ship clothes for work convention in Las Vegas
  • Update Sena 20S firmware if available

I hate being OCD.

Any other suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Don't forget chargers for S20s, or anything else for that matter. And don't forget to actually charge them before leaving! DAMHIK...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #15
drfood
Forum Supporter

Thanks for the reminder Scott. All the chargers are in a zip-loc bag on the dining table with all of the other goodies to pack. We purchased a Li-Ion battery jumper with USB outputs for when at the Grand Canyon and no power to charge things.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #16
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Which jumper did you get? I have been thinking about those and have a trip coming up where we will be camping off the bikes for 8 days with no place to recharge anything.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #17
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Quote:
We are now T -3.5 days and counting. Lots of small projects to do...what did I get myself into.

Left to do--
  • Install Eastern Beaver circuit and fuse box in 1 bike
  • Install LED headlights on J's bike
  • New helmet for Darrell arrives today, make sure it fits
  • Install shelf on Darrell's DL650 w/powerlets and volt meter
  • Install Barkbusters on Darrell's DL650
  • Install new tank bags on both bikes
  • Install LED turn signal "bulbs" on both bikes
  • Install LED brake "bulbs" on both bikes
  • Finish cancelling double booked motels
  • Set up tent to air out and repack
  • Pack panniers
  • Test and play with new Sony A6000 camera before we leave--This is most important thing
  • Pack and ship clothes for work convention in Las Vegas
  • Update Sena 20S firmware if available

I hate being OCD.

Any other suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Check air pressure.

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #18
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I have been thinking about those and have a trip coming up where we will be camping off the bikes for 8 days with no place to recharge anything.
Roll-up solar recharger?

I just bought one of these so I can keep the cell phones charged while on the road.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine

Last edited by Texas T; 06-15-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:18 AM   #19
drfood
Forum Supporter

Scott

Suaoki T10 400A Peak 12000 mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster and USB Power Bank with LED Flashlight for Truck Motorcycle Boat Automotive, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2HHU2O..._v8SnAMaqBR6hy

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 04:04 AM   #20
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Thanks! And by the way, have a safe trip and a good time

Quote: