TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
ke5awf

Smile Ninja 500, blown head, bars leak

Well my Ninja 500 blew the head gasket Luckily I had my dads Honda Shadow VTX1100 to ride for a while. While I was deciding what to do about the 500/looking up how annoying it was to tear down my DOHC engine.

I decided what the **** I will give the BARS head gasket leak stop a try. I look on a lot of forums and pretty much no one gave a review on it. REALLY ANNOYING! They all said dont do it, tear down the bike and fix it. Well no duh, however I was looking for a quick "patch" for now, and no one would give a straight answer.

I am here to tell you that it does work! I put the stuff in and I had to hold open the throttle for 20 minutes, but the bike holds idle/compression, and is running good again.

Yes I need to tear down the bike and repair it, although I doubt I will, hoping to get into a new zx-6r soon. Still, I just wanted to let people know the stuff does work, despite no information online. I added only 1/4" the bottle into my radiator tank, then ran the bike for 20 minutes so it was heated up and got the "goo" into everything. Than I let it sit over night. I repeated the next day and then took it for a spin the following day.
ke5awf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
hizzo3

I've seen 4x4's use egg in a pinch. The only warning I'll give though is if it can clog the leak, it can clog other things too causing a bigger problem. I'd only use something like that to get out of a remote area to a local town, then fix it there.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

DL1000K6, VN750A20
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
1TallTXn

Re: Ninja 500, blown head, bars leak

I used something similar in my GL1100. Works, but it's not a long term fix.
May as well do the work on your EX500 as the value has dropped a lot, at least to me, with a temp-fixed head gasket.

2002 VFR800STi | 1985 GL1200 Aspencade -Earl | 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

IBA# 31895
--------
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"...what is the militia? It is the whole people, except a few public officials." - George Mason 1788
1TallTXn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Mandres

It's pretty simple to pull the head on most parallel twins I've worked on. You might not even need to remove the engine from the frame.

I'm glad the temp solution got you back on the road, but I hope you're not planning to sell the bike on without fixing it properly.
Mandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
ke5awf

im hoping to hand it off to a dealership as a trade-in, and yes they know it has a blown head-gasket.
ke5awf is offline   Reply With Quote