Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #21
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Re: Heather's FreeRide Build

That’s awesome. Thanks for the update.

Yeah, ya gotta be comfy/confident!

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #22
aspr

Happy wire happy life they say!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #23
PigTrail

So I'm about to dive into a Rekluse install.

After reading through the directions a few times it seems like the hardest parts will be getting the 27mm nut that holds the basket loose, installing the drive plates the right direction, and making sure I use "correct" hyraulic fluid. Any guidance for a first time Rekluse installer? I went ahead and ponied up for the Core EXP 3.0 kit.

To address above I plan to use a big breaker bar with my 1/2" cheater bar. I have a 27mm impact socket. Apparently you can put bike in 5th and have a buddy hold the brake to keep piston from turning over?

To get the drive-plates the right way I think I can probably figure out from youtube vids. The directions are a little coy about which way it's oriented, so not clear at this point. More research needed.

For correct hydraulic fluid it's just DOT brake fluid, right?

Should I go ahead and order extra gaskets? It's a '16, so pretty new. What says the voice of experience?

www.DualSportDispatch.com
PigTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #24
PigTrail

Got the bike inspected late last week and tore into the clutch on Friday night.

After laying the bike over I realized that the nice Polisport cover came with 3 after-market clutch cover bolts that would now be obsolete, but where did I put the original 3? I never discard this sort of thing, so they had to be somewhere. After 15 minutes I found them on a shelf in their own baggie. Go figure.

There are several youtube videos about installing a Rekluse and the provided paper directions are pretty thorough. Having not done this before I dove in anyway.

Lay the bike over to keep the engine oil in the engine and remove the clutch cover. As the videos state, carefully remove the springs and clutch pack.

The difficult part is removing the 27mm nut holding the clutch hub on to the shaft.

Bend the tabs on the keeper washer out of the way and stomp on the rear brake and use an impact or breaker bar to remove the 27mm nut. Don't use the resistance of the transmission to hold the clutch basket in place. Those little gears might not be a match for your impact. Use the brake.

Once you're to this point you are staring at the clutch hub on the shaft. Yours might slide right off as the directions state. Mine did not. Fortunately I had this nice puller and as soon as I gave the least bit of tug the hub began to slide off. Sometimes the oil creates a suction effect that makes it difficult to remove by hand.

Hub ready to come off...

But it needed some help...

Once that hub is out you're ready to start the re-assembly process with all the cool Rekluse goodies. Follow the directions to a T and you'll be buttoned up in no-time!

I adjusted the free-play and it worked like a charm. Wife is gonna love this! I felt a little bad on the 1st few rides when I had a Rekluse and she didn't. Felt like I was hoarding the cheat-code!!

www.DualSportDispatch.com

Last edited by PigTrail; 11-12-2018 at 04:02 PM.
PigTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #25
bwdmax
Forum Supporter

I'll be interested to hear what she thinks about the clutch since she has ridden the bike without it first.

Gary
525 EXC & 650 V-Strom (mine)
CRF150F (family) CRF110F (Daughter)
Foreman 450 (family) TRX250R (could be yours)
525 EXC (Son)

http://www.matamoroschildrenshome.org/
bwdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #26
aspr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigTrail View Post
Got the bike inspected late last week and tore into the clutch on Friday night.

After laying the bike over I realized that the nice Polisport cover came with 3 after-market clutch cover bolts that would now be obsolete, but where did I put the original 3? I never discard this sort of thing, so they had to be somewhere. After 15 minutes I found them on a shelf in their own baggie. Go figure.

There are several youtube videos about installing a Rekluse and the provided paper directions are pretty thorough. Having not done this before I dove in anyway.

Lay the bike over to keep the engine oil in the engine and remove the clutch cover. As the videos state, carefully remove the springs and clutch pack.

The difficult part is removing the 27mm nut holding the clutch hub on to the shaft.

Bend the tabs on the keeper washer out of the way and stomp on the rear brake and use an impact or breaker bar to remove the 27mm nut. Don't use the resistance of the transmission to hold the clutch basket in place. Those little gears might not be a match for your impact. Use the brake.

Once you're to this point you are staring at the clutch hub on the shaft. Yours might slide right off as the directions state. Mine did not. Fortunately I had this nice puller and as soon as I gave the least bit of tug the hub began to slide off. Sometimes the oil creates a suction effect that makes it difficult to remove by hand.

Hub ready to come off...

But it needed some help...

Once that hub is out you're ready to start the re-assembly process with all the cool Rekluse goodies. Follow the directions to a T and you'll be buttoned up in no-time!

I adjusted the free-play and it worked like a charm. Wife is gonna love this! I felt a little bad on the 1st few rides when I had a Rekluse and she didn't. Felt like I was hoarding the cheat-code!!

That bike is so sweet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is online now   Reply With Quote