TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2003, 02:23 AM   #1
swwwinger

I wanna get dirty!

Someone tell me about riding in the National forest. I bought my kid a XR80 and I picked up a KLR250. Just gathering info on the cool places to ride.
I have maps of SHNF that show close to 100 miles of trails! Who has ridden there and knows things like: do they shut the trails down after rains (I heard they do), how long does it take to dry afterwards, which side of the lake has the best trails, is camping allowed ... ? Are there any other good riding trails in the Southeastern part of the state?
swwwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Dirtrideroader

One thing to consider is deer hunters. This time of year, the National Forest is open to deer hunting. Not that the people are necessarily dangerous, but I wouldn't want to ride out there with them.
IBA #23263

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline,
it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons,
but at the very least you need a good beer"
-Frank Zappa
Dirtrideroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
irondawg

I've never ridden out there but...WOW! 100 miles of dirt trails, AWESOME!

Where did you get your maps?

There's also some dirt trails out near Bastrop. Again, haven't been out there either. But's it's on my list.

BTW, If things work out, I'll be riding out there Jan 10th. Let me know if you want to tag along. This will be a feeling out ride. Basically taking it easy. I'll have a GPS and plan on capturing GPS track info and loading it in the computer.
'80 GT80
irondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
AggieVFR

The trails out there are pretty fun. I used to ride there when I had my LT250R Quadracer. I never had a map, so I just tooled around and tried not to run out of gas deep in the woods somewhere. The 250R was a two-stroke racing machine with a 38mm carb so it didn't exactly sip gas like a utility 4-wheeler. The first few times I went with a friend who had a CR500. The trails are definitely set up for bikes. The Quad could ride there, just not flat out the whole time and it got pretty tight in some spots. Thankfully it only weighed 300-320 lbs, so I could manhandle it up and over and around some of the otherwise unpassable stuff.
I never took my CR500 there because I wasn't quite man enough to tame it out in the wide open pastures of my grandparent's farm, so tight woods seemed like suicide. I'm dying to get a four-stroke trail bike someday to ride back there, but that'll have to wait for a few years. I don't have the time or the money now.
As far as trail specifics and rules go, parking fees are on the honor system. You put money in an envelope and drop it in the slot. The stub off the envelope goes on the dash of your vehicle. If the rangers come by and don't see a parking pass, you can get a ticket. If they're really anal, they may check to see if the pass has a matching envelope with money in the drop box. I remember it was cheap for the amount of fun I had out there. Also make sure you have a USFS approved spark arrestor. I'm pretty sure there's a big fine for not having one as you could start a forest fire without one.
Have fun and please post ride reports. It may make me find a trail bike sooner.

1985 VF500F
1992 VFR750F (Gone but not forgotten)
1997 CR500R (Scary fun, but long gone now)
AggieVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #5
Desmo

I used to take my son riding in the national forest when we both had dirt bikes. The trails go on forever. You will never ride them all. I have never heard of them closing when wet (heck, a good muddy run is half the fun).

Many trails are eroded by bikes and rain and have exposed roots. These roots are very slippery when wet. They reach out and grab your tires and throw you down faster than you can imagine. Some trails would be challenging for a newbie. However, there are many easy trails.

The only requirements I remember are helmets and spark arresters. Wait till hunting season is over. I have heard guys shoot close to where we were riding. Not fun. Also, remind me to tell you about the time I had to hoist my son and his XR-80 out of a 8 foot deep hole beside one of the trails.

To get there, go north from Houston on I-45 to New Waverly. Turn left (west) on 1375. go past the bridge over lake Conroe (there are trails before the lake but I do not remember directions to them). About 2-3 miles past the bridge, turn right on the dirt road "Stubblefield Lake / Forest Service Road 215" I believe. Stay to the left at the fork and the parking area is on the left. Maybe 1/2 to 1 mile from 1375.

'10 KTM 690R Enduro
'11 BMW R1200GS Triple Black
'03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:33 PM   #6
Anonymous

Hey desmo,
What about the time you had to hoist your son and his XR-80 out of a 8 foot deep hole beside one of the trails?

Here's what I've got so far, a quote from another board and a couple of maps:

"Sam Houston National Forest 936-344-6205x2

At the Cagle boat ramp there is a new campground (forest service run). The trail is probably only 1/2 mile away but you can't ride to it unless you are street legal. It is right on the lake and easy to get to. Beautiful area. There are two sides of the lake to ride on and this is just about right in the middle with a dual sport. At Kelly's pond you can camp, no hook-ups. From there you can go stright to the trails as it is a trailhead. Also Stubblefield Lake campground but again you can't ride your bike to the trails although it is real close to a trailhead. I would guess over 100 miles of marked trails. Be sure and stay on the trails, there are no open riding areas. Call first!"

East trail map
West trail map

Brett
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:36 PM   #7
swwwinger

^
|
That was me.

grrrrr... HERE is the East side map East trail map - really
Old 12-23-2003, 02:47 PM   #8
Desmo

Swwinger,

My directions are to the Trail Head on the west map (labeled "rai Haad" on the upper left corner of the map you posted). Have fun.

By the way, I have some old motocross boots and a helmet that my son outgrew. Maybe you could use them. Let me know if interested and I will find them in the attic and check the sizes and condition.

Steve

'10 KTM 690R Enduro
'03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Old 01-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #9
Desmo

Here is a better (Forest Service) map of the west trails:

http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/...m_mu_west1.jpg

They also have a toll free phone number with a recording about closures (888-361-6908). They do close after heavy rains to prevent erosion.

Steve

'10 KTM 690R Enduro
'03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Old 01-21-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
mrcleanvfr

Getting dirtier

How are these trails for mountain bikes? Much motorized traffic? Many mountain bikes?

Paul
mrcleanvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:37 PM   #11
swwwinger

Desmo - I already have boots and a helmet for my boy - he's 12. Thanks for the offer. Don't run up there and check but roughly what size are they?

Irondawg - Did you ever make it out to the trails on the 10th? I thought about dropping by but figured the mud would be horrific. We are going to try again this Saturday 1/24 if it doesn't rain too much more this week.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #12
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

For those looking for trail info, check these sites for maps, rules, closures, events, etc.

http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/...g_dc_sab.shtml
http://www.trh-cycle.org/

"Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been..." -J. Peterman

"It's a long and rugged road and we don't know where it's headed, but we know it's gonna get us where we're goin'" - Wailin' Jennys
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:44 PM   #13
Bagwell

I like the trails in the SHNF pretty good. You need to watch it though, its not hard to get lost if you are not familiar. Trail Riders of Houston does a couple of family enduros out there during the year. The next one is on Aug 1st. They close the trails when it rains too much to cut down on erosion. You can get a pass for the multi use trails in the national forest from the Forest service office on 1375 a couple of miles west of 45. They are open saturday mornings too now. 1-888-361-6908

www.trh-cycle.org is the site for the Trail Riders of Houston they also have a meeting the first monday of every month. Nice group of people, and real family oriented.
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:45 PM   #14
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Hey Bagwell,

What do you ride on the trails?

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:35 PM   #15
Bagwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
Hey Bagwell,

What do you ride on the trails?

Adios,

I ride a 99 Yamaha WR400, but had a KLX300 that was very capable. So if anyone needs a trail bike, the KLX is for sale in the for sale section.
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:05 AM   #16
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

Can you hear it Scott?! It's calling ....

"Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been..." -J. Peterman

"It's a long and rugged road and we don't know where it's headed, but we know it's gonna get us where we're goin'" - Wailin' Jennys
Old 07-23-2004, 12:01 PM   #17
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Hehe... oh yeah... I can hear it.... waaahhhh waaaahhhh... at 2:00am in the morning... I can't do squat until my VFR sells. And even then it seems that money is already spoken for: new garage doors, new tires for the cars, new brakes for the Saturn... It never ends and is only going to get worse in the coming months

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:38 PM   #18
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

Trust me, I understand! I've got to sell the NX now too, then probably Dawn's car. We only have about a month left before the house is filled with the sounds and smells of a child...

You might consider parting the VFR out on ebay. That seems to be popular right now. Some of the parts that I'm using on the Trump came from a beautiful 2001 Daytona that the guy decided to part out instead of sell. Bidding was like pirahna's on a calf.

I've got to find someone to give me a dirt bike. Hear me folks? It doesn't have to be pretty! I have a habit to feed! Need... dirt... bike........

Old 07-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #19
Tx Rider

My poor KTM has winter disease bad, I'm out for this year it's going to be too much work, shame it's go no mileage on it even.

I must have turne the gas on to the carb at some point while it was sitting up, and gas fouled the carb and looks like it even ended up getting down the intake into the cylinder and gumming that up as well. :angryfir: It's so bad I can't even get the slide to move in the carb at all.

I'm going to have to take it all the way down to the bones before I can take it anywhere again and trust it.

And unless I find a new KTM dealer I can actually trust, even as far away as Houston, I'll be doing it myself.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Tx Rider is offline   Reply With Quote