Old 08-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

Texas DS Yahoo groups

Found some Yahoo groups for Texas DSers:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ArkLaTex_DualSport/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasDS/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/texas_adv_riders/

Might be good sources for routes, rides and fellow riders...

"Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been..." -J. Peterman

"It's a long and rugged road and we don't know where it's headed, but we know it's gonna get us where we're goin'" - Wailin' Jennys
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I have been on that list for quite some time. It is predominantly Northeast Texas folks that ride 650 and smaller dualsports. They seem like a really good group of folks. Several of them are members here as well. If you want info about riding up in the Clayton, Ok. area, that is the place to go!

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

Which one, ArkLaTex? Have you been to the other 2?

"Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been..." -J. Peterman

"It's a long and rugged road and we don't know where it's headed, but we know it's gonna get us where we're goin'" - Wailin' Jennys
Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

oops, sorry. The second one It is fairly active.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
STCPO

I'm on all three..the second one is the most active.

Pete
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 PM   #6
WoodButcher
Administrator

I was on the 2nd and 3rd. I think we have a couple of people here now that started on the 3rd one.

Since I don't go long distances on the DRZ, the 2nd had most of their rides pretty far away so I eventually dropped it. The other was nice because they actually hit some areas I would be interested in.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

I'm thinking about starting my own, aimed at folks who like to explore and do some miles. These still aren't what I'm looking for, they seem to be more folks who like to play on off road ranches and such. There's hardly anything worth looking at in the 'files' (I'd like to see some real routes). Still worth hanging out on, but lacking...

Old 08-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
Hood Ornament

The problem is TX as big as it is has very little public land. Now days, private ORV ranch/parks are pretty much the only places that a lot of us have to ride without having to ride a day just to get there.

I joined the lists hoping to find out more about DS riding in AR. From what I've seen in ride reports, the off road stuff is comparable to the on road stuff. Talk about nirvana! ****, 2/3 of the state is National Forest land.

I'm not a squid I'm a Kraken!

Escaped from TX!!!!

'05 DL 650 Wee Strom
'06 DR 650
'07 450 EXC
'07 GSXR 600 Squidtacular!
'08 690 E
'09 KX450F ..... Just because
Hood Ornament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #9
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

I'm talking about improved and unimproved dirt roads and county roads, not off-road or trails; I left that back in AZ... I'm much more interested in exploring the road less travelled than playing off-road for the sake of playing off-road. Challenging terrain isn't the focus of my adventures, just an entertaining side show.

As for public land, that's what was so cool about AZ, over 80% government property (state or federal). You can literally travel from one corner of the state to another, and only cross pavement!

Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

I'm on the 2nd & 3rd list, but haven't been on them for a long time. Just got a KLR last month, but my preferences seem to be a similiar to gotdurt in that I enjoy exploring improved and unimproved dirt and county roads.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #11
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_
I'm on the 2nd & 3rd list, but haven't been on them for a long time. Just got a KLR last month, but my preferences seem to be a similiar to gotdurt in that I enjoy exploring improved and unimproved dirt and county roads.
Hey Richard, then check this out: http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=5255
It'll probably be right up your alley... not all dirt, but fun no less.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #12
Hood Ornament

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdurt
I'm talking about improved and unimproved dirt roads and county roads, not off-road or trails; I left that back in AZ... I'm much more interested in exploring the road less travelled than playing off-road for the sake of playing off-road. Challenging terrain isn't the focus of my adventures, just an entertaining side show.

As for public land, that's what was so cool about AZ, over 80% government property (state or federal). You can literally travel from one corner of the state to another, and only cross pavement!
Don't get me wrong. The GS is great for those situations and I do want to ride those suckers. The DRZ however calls for things even further off the beaten path. You know, the goat trail less traveled.

I'm not a squid I'm a Kraken!

Escaped from TX!!!!

'05 DL 650 Wee Strom
'06 DR 650
'07 450 EXC
'07 GSXR 600 Squidtacular!
'08 690 E
'09 KX450F ..... Just because
Hood Ornament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #13
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

casey,

Thanks for the link. Looks very interesting and I'll likely participate in this on future rides. As of right now it looks like a few of us local KLR riders may be getting together on the 20th to ride the trails out at Cross Creek Cycle Park (www.crosscreekcp.com). If that doesn't pan out though, I will try to tag along on the ride you linked to.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:25 PM   #14
bluedogok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood Ornament
The problem is TX as big as it is has very little public land. Now days, private ORV ranch/parks are pretty much the only places that a lot of us have to ride without having to ride a day just to get there.

I joined the lists hoping to find out more about DS riding in AR. From what I've seen in ride reports, the off road stuff is comparable to the on road stuff. Talk about nirvana! heck, 2/3 of the state is National Forest land.
When your cash cow is property taxes, public land is a no-no......

but that is another discussion
bluedogok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:24 AM   #15
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

[quote="bluedogok"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood Ornament
When your cash cow is property taxes, public land is a no-no......

but that is another discussion
No kidding