Notices

Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Riding the Passes around Ouray, Co., 7/29 - 8/3

Howdy,

Rsquared, his son, his BIL, and myself will be heading to Ouray to ride the passes in the area and also hit some of the paved stuff as well. We are leaving July 27 and will ride starting Sunday morning (7/29) through Friday (8/3), then heading home Saturday morning (8/4). So, six full days of riding.

We will be taking multiple bikes. I will have my 530 EXC and 1200 GS. Roger will have his 450 EXC, a 690 Enduro, and an 1190 Adventure. His BIL will have a 690 as well. We like to alternate between hard and easy days of riding so we don't wear ourselves out. Passes like Imogene and Black Bear will be ridden using the 530/450/690s. Easier passes and fun paved stuff will be ridden with the 690/1200/1190s. I doubt we will be doing any paved only routes, but there are several nice paved only routes than can be done from there (typically 300-400 miles/day depending on your tolerance for long rides).

We are not hard core riders, meaning we won't be looking to set any speed records. We also won't be doing any single track trails on this trip. It will be jeep roads. We typically meet in the parking lot at 8:30am, head out shortly after, and try to get back to the hotel around 5-6pm at the latest. Breakfast is usually, but not always, at the hotel. We usually do a group lunch during the day and a group dinner in the evenings. Then we like to hang out and just visit afterward.

We will be staying at the Comfort Inn in Ouray. There are lots of places to stay and camp. So you can stay anywhere you like. But, if you want to ride with us, meet at the Comfort Inn 8:30am every morning. Please be gassed and ready to go then. Ideally, the easiest thing to do is gas up the previous evening when you return from that day's ride.

As of right now, there are no fires in the area that would impact any of the expected routes (other than perhaps a bit of smoke depending on the winds). Small bike routes will be mostly around Ouray. Big bike routes will probably head further North, potentially up to the Colorado National Monument, The Grand Mesa, and the North side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

This is not a pay to play event. It is just us going riding and you are welcome to participate as you like. I'll share GPS tracks if you like. You don't get a shirt unless you buy one somewhere while we are out riding You WILL be expected to have a bike in good mechanical condition with good tires and to carry appropriate tools/spare tubes to fix flats. In the areas around the mines, flats are not uncommon. Also, some of the passes are not really what I would call beginner or big bike friendly (especially for a newish/inexperienced rider). Oh, you will DEFINITELY want a good camera as the scenery and views are spectacular.

Any takers?

IN:
Desmo
Irishcoffe
KubotaMikeTx
Rsquared, Mason, and Jay (Rsquared's son and BIL)
Tourmeister

and maybe a few guests on specific days...

Right click here and Save As for the most up to date GPX route file.

The link for the route will not change. So if you grab it right before you leave, it should be the final version. I probably won't mess with it after Thursday evening at the latest. I will post here if I do change it.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas

Last edited by Tourmeister; 07-22-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
kickstand~prophet

Re: Riding the Passes around Ouray, Co., 7/29 - 8/3

Yes CO 92 top side of the Black canyon is a very nice twist road. Ride safely and have fun. Looking forward to the upcoming pictures.
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
Old 06-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #3
prhaussies

Just throwing in a link. We were riding out of Ouray in 1981. We drove up their in my 1980 Honda Accord. Camped just out side of town. Met a Texas guy taking pictures, he was working for Colorado, had cycle shack license plate. I have a pic of all of us on a peak near Ouray.rh
Old 06-23-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
Old 06-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Irishcoffee

I have learned to not make plans but I'm planning to make that trip. Awesome group, perfect rides for me. I luuuvvvvvssss that area, Ouray is at the top of our list since the early 80s. The area does need rain bad though.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
webnel

I really like this area and will go if I can, but might have too much planned already around those dates.

Here a vid of the Ouray area I made a few years back.
'08 Honda CRF450X (sold)
'07 Honda XR650L - (sold)
'13 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (sold)
'12 Ducati Monster 796 (sold)
Old 06-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Great video! Black Bear looks intimidating when it is all wet like that!!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Great video! Black Bear looks intimidating when it is all wet like that!!

Darn Tootin' (edited for a PG audience)

I walked Black Bear last September under blue skies at that was enough for me
Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
Lucydad
Forum Supporter

That is home for me. Have fun, be safe. Spend lots of that big TEXAS dinero in my home of SW CO. Making a trip myself soon, but no bike riding this time.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #10
webnel

Thanks. I recall a few years prior to this not doing BB due to rainy weather. Not Ideal first go around for me. Next trip on our BB day it starts raining. Oh well, just got to do it! First attempt while wet. Frozen hands as well. Traction is great out there when wet at least.
'08 Honda CRF450X (sold)
'07 Honda XR650L - (sold)
'13 Triumph Tiger 800 XC (sold)
'12 Ducati Monster 796 (sold)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Darn Tootin' (edited for a PG audience)

I walked Black Bear last September under blue skies at that was enough for me
Wanna come with us Bob?

Quote:

Old 06-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
Countingcoup

I may be up there during those dates. Taking my Son on another ride around the twin lakes, leadville, Aspen area.
Are you guys interested in going to the Bucksnort Saloon on the front range N. Of Pikes peak ? I've been told by a few people it's a neat trip.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Wanna come with us Bob?
I do but last year was my epic Colorado year (two different cross-state rides)

This year I'm taking the KTM back to Mexico and getting lost beyond Creel.

I will say the Telluride to Lake City ride in the high country through all those passes last September ranks as one of the best riding experiences ever. So glad to do it on a lightweight bike.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #14
Desmo

Interested. But it depends if there is room on the trailer and I can find someone who wants to split a room.

'10 KTM 690R Enduro
'11 BMW R1200GS Triple Black
'03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Old 06-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #15
William Wolfen

I'll be up there a couple weeks earlier and basing it of Silverton. Hopefully the fires won't be an issue for either of us!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Scott, where do you guys stay when you go up there? Hotels, Airbnb?

We have only stayed in Purgatory, but while doing a little looking around last night, Ouray looks like a far more intersting town that I had first thought.
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
2018 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali Duramax (oh baby)
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, Skid Steer, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, , all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
Old 06-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #17
way-man

Great video!
Old 06-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post
Scott, where do you guys stay when you go up there? Hotels, Airbnb?

We have only stayed in Purgatory, but while doing a little looking around last night, Ouray looks like a far more intersting town that I had first thought.
We will be staying at the Comfort Inn. Given the location, it is reasonably priced. That said, there are a few places that might be a little less expensive and there is camping. I am sure there are probably cabins that can be rented. I have never checked out any Air BnB stuff. If I were doing a street only trip, I would base out of Montrose instead (further North). However, Montrose is further from all the unpaved passes.

Quote:

Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #19
Dirtrideroader

Sounds like fun. We will be headed through Colorado on our way to South Dakota.
Y'all have fun!
IBA #23263

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline,
it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons,
but at the very least you need a good beer"
-Frank Zappa
Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #20
Squidbilly

We just got back Monday night from a Ouray Jeeping trip. My hats off to all you crazy guys on bikes. Especially seeing the ones riding two up We stayed at a condo.. Alpenglow Vacation Rentals, sleeps 6 and it was 235 a night with all the taxes and fees.(only 4 of us so may be higher with 6) It was very clean and we recommend it. It was very dry this year but we still had a great time. All trails were open except for Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail and Black Bear. Black bear doesn't open until July anyway. I just wish it was closer
Have fun y'all !

13 F6B
Closed Thread