TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #21
Tx Rider

Yeah I believe I'll make it there.

The only thing I find I dislike is the large gap between 1st and 2nd gear, thats why I put the 48 tooth on, to drop 2nd down and use it as first.

I understand there are a fine selection of second gears to choose from in the LC4 line over the last decade though. If I ever have a need to open the case that'll get changed.

I was riding around with Doc on his XV920 he's selling and I gotta say I can see what the moto guys see in these bikes, I was wanting some gumball rubber.

The front Baja tires are awful at speed on the road. Got some metzlers otw for that, hope they still handle dirt ok.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Tx Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #22
Tx Rider

Gonna be a busy week. But the KTM should be ready for a lot of riding this season.

Got digital water and oil temp guages to install.

4+ gallon tank to finish installing, came in today and fits pretty well.

New front and back tires and heavy duty tubes.

12v wiring plug for my GPS.

Oil change.

Mount RAM mount for GPS for Sunday.

Then I think I'll be all done unless I get a tank bag for it. Time to ride it on down to Bastrop and Alvin and see what longer rides on a paint mixer is like , couldn't be much worse than my old sportster.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:19 PM   #23
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I wonder what your range will be with the larger tank? I plan to carry an extra gas can on the Big Bend ride, but it will only be one gallon, yours for $10/gal jk.

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #24
Tx Rider

I should be over 200 miles before reserve, with about 40 miles on reserve with this tank vs 95 miles to reserve with the stock one.

I'll find out when I fill it and see what the real capacity is.

I shouldn't need any spare gas now that's for sure. That is if I don't pump all the gas out with the throttle, the FCR squirts a mean squirt of gas down th throat when ya open it up.

edit: had a guy pipe up over on the ktm boards that it's a 4 gallon tank, so it looks like right at 200 miles. Still double what I had though.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #25
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

Plastic tanks usually hold a little more than their rating, and even that varies. So, a 4 gal is more like a "4+". My "4" gal IMS tank held 4.4 gal. One of my riding buddies in AZ had the same tank that held 4.2.

One thing you might consider doing is installing a hose conecting the lower-front sides of the tank, so that you have access to all of your fuel without having to stop and tilt the bike when you get "low". Otherwise, when you hit reserve, you may still have over a gal left, half of which is hiding on the side opposite the petcock...

"Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been..." -J. Peterman

"It's a long and rugged road and we don't know where it's headed, but we know it's gonna get us where we're goin'" - Wailin' Jennys
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #26
Tx Rider

Yeah I was thinking of just adding another petcock over there.

Speaking of capacity, a guy on the ktm boards said he added even more capacity by filling the tank with very hot boiling water, pressuring it up to 5psi and letting it cool off under pressure.

I shouldn't have read that as it's got my mental gears whirling around an image of 3-4 psi pressurized tank and a heat gun and adding another 1/2 gallon or more of space in there.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #27
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Might make the tank more brittle... That could be bad My GS is bad about hiding gas on one side. Someone on the AdvRider site made a little siphon gadget you install in the tank that sucks the gas over to the side where the feed line for the fuel pump is located. Supposedly, my tank is rated at 5.5 gallons. I put in 5.4 once or twice...

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 03-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #28
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister
Someone on the AdvRider site made a little siphon gadget you install in the tank that sucks the gas over to the side where the feed line for the fuel pump is located.
Something like that would be necessary for a metal tank, since you can't tap sheet metal (duh). The plastic on these tanks is pretty thick, especially near the bottom, thick enough to tap with 1/8 npt (mine was anyway). Just use valves on each side, with a hose between (through the frame). When you want to remove the tank, close the valves and disconnect the hose.

"Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been..." -J. Peterman

"It's a long and rugged road and we don't know where it's headed, but we know it's gonna get us where we're goin'" - Wailin' Jennys
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #29
Tx Rider

That's about what I had in mind, I have a spare petcock already so I was just going to drill the other side, and make a plate to match the petcock inside for strength.

The neck opening is pretty darn large, I can easily put a back up plate inside the tank for the petcock to mount through. Then I'll just run the petcocks to a tee and on into the carb.

I accidently ordered 2 tanks, so I think I'll go to town on one and see how the mounting and a little size expansion works out and still have a spare if I ruin it. I'm pretty good with a heatgun and plastic.

I think I'm going to peel my old tank shroud graphics off and stick em to this tank this weekend if I can figure out what kind of adhesive to use.

That should get me all done by this weekend, and hopefully the weather will start cooperating more and I'll be out riding it.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #30
WoodButcher
Administrator

Make sure you have it on the bike when you try to expand it. Otherwise you may find the mounting bolts and the seat hook don't line up anymore.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #31
Tx Rider

Yup, I think there's a little room for expansion around the frame tunnel, behind the steering neck and in the inside of the radiator shrouds. That's just initial looking though.

I may wait on that for a while though.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #32
Tx Rider

Whew, forgot how much work changing knobbies and tubes with a rim lock is, new tires on though. Man I sure am jonesin for smoke after that one.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #33
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna Sport
Whew, forgot how much work changing knobbies and tubes with a rim lock is, new tires on though. Man I sure am jonesin for smoke after that one.
MUST.... RESIST.... THE URGE.....

You're going to be in great shape once a few months have passed! All this stair climbing and wrenching on the bikes will surely have your heart and lungs working at 100% in no time!
'98 XR400R "Templeton"
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
-Carl Bard

Where's Squeaky?
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #34
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Good point WB!

Adios,

Quote:

Old 03-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #35
Tx Rider

Im feelin awful old right now Aleve, 2 BC powders and a long hot shower later and I can move again.

No cigarettes though, I'm holdin on 100% so far.

I think a lot of this bike work is just to keep me busy and doing something so I don't dwell on not havin a smoke.

That's all the hard work, now all I really have left is little wiring jobs etc. and fooling around with the new tank etc.

Good chance I'll eat this Metzler rear up and have to get a new one by Big bend time though.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #36
Tx Rider

Well with new temp guage and GPS power wired in last night and GPS in the RAM mount, I took off for a little proving run today. Out to farmersville to look for that chaparral trail.

About 30 miles out on 121 in construction the bike starts bogging out, at first just when wide open, then eventually all the way down to idle. Any throttle above idle and it dies. :angryfir:

Lights and horn are strong so it's not magneto, gotta be carb.

So I walk along side the bike for 1/4 mile with it idling in 1st to get to a place to work on it, remove seat, remove tank, remove airbox boot, remove carb, remove bowl, and find main jet totally plugged with old gas tarball, more floating in bowl, and float needle covered with it.

Cleaned it all out, I figure it was from old fuel line and I replaced all the fuel line with the new tank. Took abut an hour.

At least 20 bikes roll by, not one stops to see what's up with the dissasembled bike in the parking lot on the side of the road.

Ok, back to runnin like a spotted ape, off to famersville. Found trail headed out NE, cool, grabbed a little grub and popped up the topo map. It shows trail heading out SW from farmersville, obviously old abandoned RR track. So off I go running around all the gravel roads looking for access to tha right of way, no dice the land owners have fenced it all in at every crossing.

The new Metzeler Karoo knobies are stable to 80mph, quiet, and nice. The kick gravel rooster tails on the loose gravel roads quite well, shoving the tail around in a slide.

Headed back home, the new temp guage quit working about halfway. Found out later the wiring couldn't take the zip tie I ulled tight on it.

165 miles total, the brick KTM seat is gonna kill my butt.

I think the bike is now ready for anything though, if I can stand to sit on that seat long enough. Gonna try the ole sheepskin on it tommorrow
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #37
WoodButcher
Administrator

I got out on my DRZ on the road for about a hundred miles today and have plenty of sympathy with you about the seat issue. I had fun on Lime Creek road, 1431, cow creek and back home on Nameless and 1431 again. Just beat the storm home. Almost no dirt this trip though.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #38
Tx Rider

Got my camera back today, took a couple shots of new large tank with my old graphics grafted on and a sweet touratech tail bag......

And the cockpit coming togethr with combination clock/water temp/oil temp guage and GPS....

1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #39
Tx Rider

Nice rainy day wrenching on the KTM...

Added a radiator fan with a manual switch on dash.
Changed both oil filters, cleaned oil screen and magnetic plug.
Changed over to Mobil1 oil, diesel rated.
Added an oil temp sensor and guage, drilled and tapped hole for sender.
Reworked water temp guage sender.
Replaced broken speedometer cable.
Replaced thermostat.
Flushed cooling system and added antifreeze and waterwetter .
Drained gas tank, pressured with air and heated with heat gun to expand it a touch for more capacity and better fit.

All in all a nice day, rode around in the dark rain a bit.

I'll probably go drop a couple hundred miles on it tommorrow as it's supposed to be sunny and make sure everything is gonna hold.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #40
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Geez... wouldn't it have been less hassle and money to sell it and buy a new one?

Adios,

Quote: