TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
jonny rotten

Where to buy dual sport conversion parts?

I just got a DRZ 400, but I'm not sure which model it is. It's '01, kickstart, one beam headlight, no tail light but has a wire for one, and the rear fender is high like a dirt bike. I want to make it street legal, but I want to save the money of buying a full kit with blinkers, if possible.

I've searched with very little success for online catalogs. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to shop?
jonny rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

http://bajadesigns.com/

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Tx Rider

I'm not sure we even need blinkers on a bike in Texas, I know you didn't used to need em in the old days.

You should be able to heist a few stock parts off other bikes at a salvage yard if your looking to get out cheap.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Tx Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
Bandit33

Baja Designs is a good site with lots of off road and dual sport stuff as was mentioned.
Also try:

WWW.joeracerproducts.com

also:

www.trickdualsport.com

I checked on the turn signal rule. Got some different answers, but a motorcycle cop said that while turn signals are not required to pass state inspection in Texas, they are required out on the street. Strange, I know, and you might get away with out them but I would put some on. The above sites sell them as do some other sites.

Don
2014 KTM 690 Enduro
Bandit33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
WoodButcher
Administrator

Yeah, I'm in the process of getting my son's CRF230 plated. Hi/lo headlight, tail and brake light (front or rear brake switch), mirror, horn, and technically the plate must be lit, but they don't seem to check that. Also, DOT tires (really they can't have "not for highway use" on them).

The Baja Designs LED brake light meets the rear end part. Add a hydraulic brake switch, and that part is done. Check, but I think you have the wire going to the headlight, it just isn't a two filament bulb. Plus that second wire isn't hooked to power. So you should be able to swap it for another headlight and add a switch (basically switch lo beam hot wire over to high beam hot wire since both aren't on at the same time).

BD also sells an electric horn that straps on, which is all you need for inspection. Pull it off after unless you want it on.

Good luck with the process. Call the folks at Baja Designs and talk to one of the tech guys. They are very knowledgeable and probably know more details than I just covered.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Bandit33

P.S. nice bike you got there. I love my DRZ.

Another good site for dirt bike related issues is the Thumpertalk site. Some experts there to help with all kinds of dirt bike questions......not that you can't get good information here also!!!

Don
2014 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
WoodButcher
Administrator

Oh yeah, on the turn signal question, read this older thread http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t...t=turn+signals That will save us from rehashing it. Basically motorcycles are not required to have signals, but be aware that using hand signals would be a good idea if you don't have them.

And I agree, the DRZ is a good bike. It's my main (and currently only running) ride.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
Tx Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher
Oh yeah, on the turn signal question, read this older thread http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t...t=turn+signals That will save us from rehashing it. Basically motorcycles are not required to have signals, but be aware that using hand signals would be a good idea if you don't have them.

And I agree, the DRZ is a good bike. It's my main (and currently only running) ride.
Well from memory (mines not that great) I thought it was kinda like the cars, if it came with em you had to have em, if it didn't you don't.

So for a dirt bike you wouldn't need em, but you still have to hand signal.

Just like pre '67 cars don't have to have seat belts if they didn't come with em and pre 40 something cars don't have to have turn signals if they didn't come with them I don't think.

Been 20+ years since I did inspections though so it could have changed.

I wouldn't be averse to the used parts salvage route though, I haven't been to any in Dallas since I moved here but they have to be around.

Might be the cheapest route to get the stuff ya need, parts off a DR enduro or something.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Tx Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:15 PM   #9
jonny rotten

I agree that the DRZ is great. I like it a lot more than the XR 400.

Baja Designs is the first I looked for, but their site is a little tedious to navigate, and it looks like the onlypart listing for the kickstart DRZ they have is "n/a".

I like the JoeRacer kit, especially the integrated front turn signals. If I get signals, they'll have to be svelte. I emailed those guys for some info. I don't wanna pay $500 for something that I know could be done for less.

Does anyone know what model mine is? I know the DRZ400S is street legal from factory, but I don't know the difference in the E, EX, and whatever the others are. It seems like it will be a little easier to shop for what I need if I know what model I have.
jonny rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

JR, you need to resize your avatar. Max width should be 125 pixels or less.

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #11
Cagiva 549

If it came with a title your in good shape put lights on it and go ride . If it came with an MSO or no title good luck , you have a lot of paperwork and hassel ahead of you. SEYA
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
Sleepy Weasel
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit33
I checked on the turn signal rule. Got some different answers, but a motorcycle cop said that while turn signals are not required to pass state inspection in Texas, they are required out on the street. Strange, I know, and you might get away with out them but I would put some on. The above sites sell them as do some other sites.

Don
10-95 aside... some cops know the law better than others. There are a lot of laws, that's why they keep a code book handy. Of the cops who don't know every statute of every code (Agriculture Cde, Alcoholic Beverage Code, Auxiliary Water Laws, Business & Commerce Code, Education Code, Elections Code, Family Code, Finance Code, Government Code, Health & Safety Code, Natural Resources Code, Parks & Wildlife Code, Penal Code, Property Code, Civil Code, Transportation Code, etc) some officers would rather offer their opinion as if it was fact, rather than admit they don't have it all committed to memory.

I'd suggest bookmarking this link to the Texas Transportation Code SECTION 547.801. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT so that if you ever get a ticket for riding a bike without turn signals, you can waltz, two-step, or whatever, into court and have it dismissed.

2012 Triumph Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I drank what?
Sleepy Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #13
Bandit33

JR, if yours is a kick start only, it would be the K model. Should still be able to use most of the parts that will fit on the E model.

Sleepy, you are right about the knowledge of the law varying from one LEO to the next. I feel sorta like they are going to notice me when I am on the bright yellow bike that "looks like a dirt bike" and I want it to look as street legal as possible. Although, I do hate having those turn signals on when I am out in the rough stuff.
2014 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #14
buck000

jonny,

I'm new to the dirt bike / DS game, but I think Happy Trails may not suck:

DRZ400E
DRZ400S.

I'm thinking about getting the side racks after I, er, put a few hundred miles on my underused 650.

HTH...

Chris Martenson Crash Course - Worth viewing.
buck000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #15
Hoop

re what bike you have, if it is kick-start only, it is a DRZ400, then there is a suffix letter which designates the year, but the bike has been more or less unchanged since the first year. Suzuki has a VIN number decoder on the internet if you want to find it and use it. If it is electric start, but not street-legal it is a DRZ400E. The street-legal version is a DRZ400S, steel gas tank, different carb, different suspension, passenger pegs, etc.

If you are handy, you can get by a lot cheaper by using parts from the junkyard and from Fredette Racing. They sell a brake light switch that converts the LED into a tail light / brakelight. And a resistor kit that turns the headlight into a hi/lo beam. They don't (at least when I was looking) sell the handlebar switch you need for the headlight, so I had to go the junkyard route for that. It's not pretty, but it works, for less than $100.

The all-in-one kits are great, but expensive, I think they are all >$400.

P.S. You don't need blinkers on your converted bike. I wouldn't put them on if I were you, they are fragile, and if you have them, then they have to work. And they are so small they are just about useless except at night. You do need a mirror and horn.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:06 PM   #16
Sleepy Weasel
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit33
Sleepy, you are right about the knowledge of the law varying from one LEO to the next. I feel sorta like they are going to notice me when I am on the bright yellow bike that "looks like a dirt bike" and I want it to look as street legal as possible. Although, I do hate having those turn signals on when I am out in the rough stuff.
That's a valid concern. I mean, sure, you can always go to court and fight a bad ticket, but it's not like they're going to pay you for the day you took off from work.

One thought would be to drop by the towing section at someplace like Pep Boys or O'Reilly's and pick up a handful of trailer wiring plugs. They're great for all sorts of things, especially if you're ever wiring something polarized and need an idiot proof way to make sure it always goes positive to positive, and negative to negative. Anyway, they disconnect and reconnect quick, and usually keep dirt and such out of the connector when they hooked up. Add a quick removable mounting system for the signals, and they could be pulled off in just a couple of minutes before hitting the tight trails. Otherwise, you could look for some that either use flexible stalks or just real short stalks for the signals.

2012 Triumph Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I drank what?
Sleepy Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:13 AM   #17
gotdurt
Master Bandage Tester

Baja Designs is a great bunch of folks,but you can do it yourself cheaper, if you're a DYIer.
1) Don't worry about signals, if you ride off road, you're just going to destroy them.
2) You might get away with changing the headlight to dual filliment bulb, the adding a switch, if not, a new light is about $90.
3) you might get away with the tail light as is, but technically, by law, you are required to have license plate illum. Maier makes an enduro style light (universal fit) with a clear lense in the bottom for about $15.
4) horn. get one off a junk bike, or from Autozone, and a button from radioshack.
5) Mirrors. Acerbis makes a light folding mirror for about $15. I just used a left one.
6) DOT tires. Plenty to choose from.

"Not knowing where you're going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been..." -J. Peterman

"It's a long and rugged road and we don't know where it's headed, but we know it's gonna get us where we're goin'" - Wailin' Jennys
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote