TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
dower

Dirt Riding Techniques

Doing a little research and ran across this.
Off Road Riding

Many of you seasoned dirt riders may know all this but, for us newbies it contains some useful information.

dower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...
Forum Supporter

Cool info! Thanks for posting it.... now I have something to do here at work.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
-Carl Bard

Where's Squeaky?
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
STCPO

Excellent. Thanks.

Time to go practice.

Pete
Old 06-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
buck000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Cool info! Thanks for posting it.... now I have something to do here at work.
You can practice off-roading in your job? Are they hiring?

+1 on the TYVM, dower.

Chris Martenson Crash Course - Worth viewing.
buck000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
Hoop

there's an old saying that is about 90% correct. Here it is:

"When in doubt, gas it."

There is a second corollary to that first rule, that goes like this:

"There no trouble that a little more throttle won't cure."

Now you know the most important things about dirt riding.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...
Forum Supporter

I read this last night, and tried putting the key points to use today on the few sections of unpaved roads and construction gravel that we hit. (granted, I added one of them to the route just so I could practice some more )

I must say, I kept on the gas and kept the RPMs up to use engine braking instead of the brakes, and it was a really confidence-inspiring day on unpaved surfaces! I'm just itching to get to a "Getting Dirty" day to just get a chance to toodle around on dirt bikes for a day!
'98 XR400R "Templeton"
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
-Carl Bard

Where's Squeaky?
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
Mopower

All that info is exactly what I learned by trial and error... (Painfully)
Quote:
there's an old saying that is about 90% correct. Here it is:

"When in doubt, gas it."

There is a second corollary to that first rule, that goes like this:

"There no trouble that a little more throttle won't cure."

Now you know the most important things about dirt riding.
I found that this method is more for when going at a slower rate... If you are going at a higher speed,(like super fast) find a nice soft spot to fall in.

Baylor
05 KTM 125 SX
Mopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
find a nice soft spot to fall in.
Words of wisdom!!

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
Tx Rider

LOL, I got to practice my tuck and roll on a high side at some serious sand dues this weekend, I haven't laughed that hard after a get off in a long time.

I read the stuff on the link, while standing is definately good for rough climbs and terrain that's going to toss the bike around, I don't do it nearly as much as he suggests.

A lot of the time I'm slide right up on the tank picking the front wheel though tight complex lines like jeep trails of big rocks or tight woods or tight downhill switchbacks and hills, only standing when I need to get over an obstacle or going into water or mud.

My knees only have so many stands in them per day nowadays, I save em for when I need em.

Basically when the bike is going to have to move around enoug to toss me off if I'm sitting. Mostly big rocky/rooty/muddy climbs or big bumps.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Tx Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
BBBH

I always enjoyed falling in the mud and getting my gloves all nasty and slippery.....that always makes my day....

05 TTR-125LE
02 KTM 250 EXC RFS
BBBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
irondawg

I had a pretty good get-off last weekend. I was going down a very steep creek crossing, about 60 degreees-20 feet deep. This is one of those creek crossing where at the very bottom you've got to make a sharp 90 degree turn and gas it up the other side or you'll get stuck at the bottom. So, you need to keep momentum going.

I attacked the crossing without realizing that my front tire went flat. Half way down was a little ledge just perfect for my front tire to set in. I was standing, arms locked way back on the bike. My wheel hit the ledge and stopped the bike dead and I got launched. Since my arms were locked I went upside down, crashed through some trees, got spun around and landed on my back with my feet up the hill. Then to make matters worse, the bike fell on my legs. I was stuck. After a bit, I realized I was okay but stuck. My buddy saw what happened and came to check on me. I thru my goggles off and yelled, "I'm okay!" I managed to get one foot out from under the bike and he lifted the bike just enough to get my other foot out. I did a backward somersalt and was on my feet. Only damage I had was a 4 inch scrape just above my boot and a nice silver dollar size bruise on my left bicep. The bike, a broken rear blinker(that was already broken) and bent handlebars.

Laughed my butt off the rest of the way back to the Jeep.
'80 GT80
irondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #12
Tx Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondawg
Laughed my butt off the rest of the way back to the Jeep.
And that's what makes dirt bikes so cool, the number of get offs you can laugh about. I would cry if my FZ just fell over on kickstand in the driveway.
1996 KTM 620 RXC
Grapevine, Tx.
Tx Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #13
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

That post is worthless without pics!!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #14
Sleepy Weasel
Forum Supporter

Not a pic... but it IS a cartoon I inspired.

2012 Triumph Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I drank what?
Sleepy Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote