TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
greeneggs&ham
Forum Supporter

KTM Thumper Discussion

Well, several months ago Big A and I were talking. It ended with I should start a KTM 690 thread. Well, even though there are several 690's here on TWT, I think it would serve everyone's interest better to lump all the Thumpers together. I own an '09 690r enduro. My wife has an '08 530exc. I do all the maintenance and repairs on both. So, soon I will start showing some of the mods and problems I have encountered with both.

That is what I would like the essence of this thread to be about. To help each one of us, and to spread the information, lessons and vendor contacts to assist us in more fun and less problems.

KTM's are great bikes. The 450, 525 and 530 were primarily dirt bikes that KTM added lights to. So lighting, electrical and maintenance are the things usually concerning most new owners. JasonJ, Coolhand and Mrs. C's 530's have been my ginny pigs. Hopefully, JasonJ has installed his Shorai battery by now. That should be the last of his charging/starting system problems. Right Jason?

Recently, MedicJeff had a common KTM problem with his chain adjuster bolt. I should have started this back when Big A told me to; maybe he would not be in the pickle he is in now. Hope you have a good ride Jeff, let us know when you get back if you still need help.

Anyway, that's all for now. I plan to start with mods and problems I have had on the 530 first, then I will post up mods & problems for the 690r. Again, if my problem saves anyone else time, then this thread has done it's job. Feel free to post any problems you may have had or are having. Sam

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. - Hilary Cooper
greeneggs&ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
medicjeff
Forum Supporter

Re: KTM Thumper Discussion

Great idea Sam, bike is ready to roll with my temporary fix. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure some more questions will come up when get back in town.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
ekms377

I have a few and do my own mtc as well. I'm in.........

1997 TL1000S (for sale)
2017 250XCF
2017 350XCF (for sale)
2018 250XCW

"Anything worth doing.....is worth over doing."
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
poser

Count me in

"If it was illegal, there'd be a sign telling us NOT to do it."

"I can't always tell if he [Jason] is joking, or if his judgment really is that bad." - my father-in-law

[empty stable , can I put my mountain bike or running shoes here? ]
poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Gravel Guy

Ordering the orange paint for my KLR.....this will also be great for us orange dreamers and helping make that future decision........

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
BPFowler

Don't forget the LC4s.

Oh the days before they were orange and had the magic buttons and USD forks.
FJR Darksider#17 La Porte Texas
Bikes currently in the paddock:
'74 RD 350; '78 RD 400; '92 KDX250; '96 KTM 620; '02 FZ1; '05 KDX 200; '07 KTM 250 XC-W; '09 FJR 1300;
Gone but not forgotten:
YG-1; TS-125 ; CB 160 ; GT 380; XS 650; H1; CB 450; VT 500 Ascot; KZ 400; KZ 1000 Z1R(stolen); Venture XVZ12 (dead after 142,846 miles May she rest in pieces); '00 KLR 650 Snaged by Son #1 (again)
BPFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
greeneggs&ham
Forum Supporter

All years and all KTM's are welcome. I just have very limited experience with older bikes, or the V-twins. But I have to say, Mr. Fowler, that is a nice bike. I would say '95? In fact my 08 200xcw is now sporting white plastic. I have a 05 525 stroker in my garage right now that I have been trying to work the kinks out for a friend. He purchased it last year from a dealer and it has never been reliable enough for him to ride it. After 3 weeks, I took it on a 100 mile ride last week. It will pull the wheel in 4th. A Brut! I love them all.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. - Hilary Cooper
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Jerry

subscribed

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
stingray

Sweet! Glad to see this thread getting started.
06 VStrom 1K
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
ekms377

For those of you that may have missed this thread I did........

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62793

1997 TL1000S (for sale)
2017 250XCF
2017 350XCF (for sale)
2018 250XCW

Old 10-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
mcrider

Chain adj. frozen?

OK, I'll start the tips.

Are your chain adjusters frozen? Yes, the swinging arm is full of water.

Remove the wheel for access.
Drill an 1/8" drain hole in the bottom of the swinging arm as near the rear weld as possible. Be careful not to let the bit hit the adjuster or you will have another problem. Be ready for water to come out. Let it drain for a while.

Blow air in the hole & squirt WD-40 in the hole. Let it set, more WD-40. Let it set, more WD-40. Let it set, more WD-40. Go to bed.

In the morning more WD-40, now try to move the bolt, careful, careful do not break it.

..... more WD-40. Go to bed.
Repeat as needed. Be patient. It may help to tap the bolt head, but do not

Once the bolt is out, clean the threads (bolt & hole). Apply a coating of anti-seize. Run the bolt in & out to spread the anti-seize.

If this has not happened to you yet, the drain hole & anti-seize is a good preventive.

Happy
mcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
greeneggs&ham
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekms377 View Post
For those of you that may have missed this thread I did........

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62793
Yes I remember that thread. Great write up, and in my opinion a great mod for 250f's. Are you still enjoying it?

Thanks Chris, I wish we could have givin this info to MedicJeff before he broke his bolt off. But this info will help others.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
greeneggs&ham
Forum Supporter

Okay, so here's the story of Mrs. C's '08 530exc. We picked it up used from a rider in Hamilton in January of 2010. He liked his ZRX's more than the KTM. So Mrs. C purchased a lightly used 530 that I told her would be perfect for her. Anyway, while we were there, I noticed how hard it was to crank it with the kick starter. I wasn't worried since I had done some homework and several people had commented on this. However, it started right up with the button. No Worries. Once we got it home, it would crank, but was very hard to start; once running, it was rich. So I called Dan at Munn's and ordered a JDJet kit. Started looking on the web about how to desmog this thing. At this point, I had to make it right, I had told her it was a great bike.

Here is the picture of the removal of the emission hoses. The vent hose down to the left case area was full of fuel. The emission tank on the lower frame was full of fuel. No wonder it was so rich, and hard to start.

Next is a picture of the hose routing; if you will note, I used a T to vent both the valve cover and the trans to the airbox. I used a restrictor plug at the airbox as several posters had commented that under heavy acceleration, the vacuum created would pull oil from the valve cover. So I used a very small freeze plug with a 1/8 hole drilled in it to lower the effect. I thought if it had too much pressure in the crankcase, I could drill it bigger or remove it completely. But so far it has worked great. No oil residue in the airbox or carb. At this point the JDkit has already been installed.

This is a picture of the fuel tank we installed. It is the KTM unit, 3.4 gal, same as the Acerbis, but for the same money, it came with a petcock. You never know when you may need an extra petcock. Especially with today's fuels!

Other than lowering the suspension, replacing the seat and the Sicass blinkers, (everyone knows the exhaust to rt. turn signal problem so I won't go there! ) that's all the changes I've made. I did not understand why everyone whined about the seat because I have one on my race bike, and it has never bothered me. Believe me, when I tell you if you D/S this bike and sit on that seat for anywhere close to 2 hours, you will want to replace it. This is a good one. We put it on just before we went to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Comfortable up to 4 hours.

And it turned out to be the perfect bike! Our first adventure trip was Cloudcroft, N.M., and Shirley commented how it truly would crawl up anything - she calls it her "tractor".

That's it for now. Later I'll go into new bike prep. and helpful information.

Hope to see ya'll out on the road. Sam

Old 10-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
Squidward

Ride and wrench on a 2009 450XCF.....now subscribed.

K'nuckles: Flapjack! You can't just eat a candy walrus! You got to make it last!

2013 KTM 250 SX: Myrtle aka Dirty Myrty
2013 Kawasaki KLX110-L aka The Pit Boss
Squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
Mrs. C

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggs&ham View Post
So Mrs. C purchased a lightly used 530 that I told her would be perfect for her. Anyway, while we were there, I noticed how hard it was to crank it with the kick starter. I wasn't worried since I had done some homework and several people had commented on this. However, it started right up with the button. No Worries. Once we got it home, it would crank, but was very hard to start; once running, it was rich.

This should have been Sam's first clue about the starting issues: the guy gave us two batteries with the bike! (But in his defense, he also gave us an extra set of tires, and the originals weren't worn out.)

I really do enjoy this bike - it's got great power at a low RPM and it's very light and maneuverable. In a word: FUN! Got Gravel?

"We have enjoyed so much freedom for so long that we are perhaps in danger of forgetting how much blood it cost to establish the Bill of Rights." ~Felix Frankfurter

Last edited by Mrs. C; 10-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Mrs. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
ekms377

The '08 also had the problem of the decompression actuator backwards on the cam. There are several write-ups about it.....making it hard to start with the kickstarter.

1997 TL1000S (for sale)
2017 250XCF
2017 350XCF (for sale)
2018 250XCW

Old 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
greeneggs&ham
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekms377 View Post
The '08 also had the problem of the decompression actuator backwards on the cam. There are several write-ups about it.....making it hard to start with the kickstarter.
Yes, Mrs. C's 530 has the backwards decompression. And so does Coolhands 450, if I remember correctly. I am still waiting for a report on how it changed after he replaced it. We are not going to spend the money to fix it till we have to. Sam

Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
ekms377

KTM may fix it for you.

1997 TL1000S (for sale)
2017 250XCF
2017 350XCF (for sale)
2018 250XCW

Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
Hood Ornament

I've got a 690 Enduro and a 450 EXC. The 450's been a fantastic bike, the 690 while a hoot to ride has been a real **** at times. In fact, got a leaking fork seal on it as I type this. I hope to fix in the next couple days. I replaced both seals back in May, so I'm just going to replace the leaky one this time.

I'm not a squid I'm a Kraken!

Escaped from TX!!!!

'05 DL 650 Wee Strom
'06 DR 650
'07 450 EXC
'07 GSXR 600 Squidtacular!
'08 690 E
'09 KX450F ..... Just because
Hood Ornament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
Hood Ornament

Oh, and these seats are good for 8 hours!

I'm not a squid I'm a Kraken!

Escaped from TX!!!!

'05 DL 650 Wee Strom
'06 DR 650
'07 450 EXC
'07 GSXR 600 Squidtacular!
'08 690 E
'09 KX450F ..... Just because
Hood Ornament is offline   Reply With Quote