TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance > Users Providing Tire Changing Services

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #61
misterk

DFW tire changes?

These guys do mine...$20 if you bring the wheel in, $30 if it is on the bike. Been using them for about 2 years.

http://aandrmotorsport.com/store/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #62
Simmons1

Re: DFW tire changes?

Funny this thread came to life again right now. I did 4 tire changes this weekend at the house. My latest make doing this home easier tool is the Baja No Pinch Tire tool.

http://www.bajanopinch.com/

It makes it almost impossible to pinch a tube installing a new tire. It like it so much I also use it mounting tubeless tires.

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500

Last edited by Simmons1; 05-04-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #63
ki_ote

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterk View Post
These guys do mine...$20 if you bring the wheel in, $30 if it is on the bike. Been using them for about 2 years.

Yeah, now that looks more like it. I can get the truck done for $60 easily. Why should it be $150 for two wheels?
Thanks misterk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
ki_ote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #64
DFW_Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki_ote View Post
Yeah, now that looks more like it. I can get the truck done for $60 easily. Why should it be $150 for two wheels?
Thanks misterk.
Because on a truck, you don't have to mess with brakes, awkward bike stands, ABS sensors, a drive chain or drive shaft, aligning fork tubes when you reinstall the front axle, and so forth. You just tighten up the lug-nuts with torque sticks and call it done.

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #65
ki_ote

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Because on a truck, you don't have to mess with brakes, awkward bike stands, ABS sensors, a drive chain or drive shaft, aligning fork tubes when you reinstall the front axle, and so forth. You just tighten up the lug-nuts with torque sticks and call it done.
Your making it sound really difficult. It's just changing a tire. I've done it plenty of times, just don't have a balancer and now, being in my mid fifties I'm not quite as motivated.
That shop in Haltom City does it for $20 off and $35-$45 on. That's realistic.
Freedom PowerSports has that big dealership mentality. I've never had anybody actually work with me on pricing for bikes or service there. So, I'm not a repeat customer. They've spent a lot of money looking fancy and buying out dealers here in the Metromess and they need to recoup it.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #66
tshelfer

True dat. Cars & trucks are easy. I can rotate a pair of tires in about the same length of time it takes me to take either tire off my bike.

Also, there's the matter of competition. If there were only one tire store in town, you might have to pay $100 for mounting and balancing. But since there's NTB, Discount, Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich, Sears, Costco, Walmart, Sam's, ad infinitum, they have no choice but to pretty much give away the mounting costs.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #67
ki_ote

Thanks fellas. This is how we get things figured out, is through different viewpoints and previous experience.
I appreciate a forum like this to do just that.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #68
DFW_Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki_ote View Post
Your making it sound really difficult. It's just changing a tire. I've done it plenty of times, just don't have a balancer and now, being in my mid fifties I'm not quite as motivated.
That shop in Haltom City does it for $20 off and $35-$45 on. That's realistic.
Freedom PowerSports has that big dealership mentality. I've never had anybody actually work with me on pricing for bikes or service there. So, I'm not a repeat customer. They've spent a lot of money looking fancy and buying out dealers here in the Metromess and they need to recoup it.
Oh trust me, I know the "not very motivated" crowd all too well. They usually go hand in hand with the "wow, this is expensive to pay someone to do it" crowd. I was merely trying to explain the differences between changing a truck tire and a bike tire since you asked the question.

I'm glad there are shops willing to change a tire that is still on the bike for $30. I would use them every time and try my best to support them because I can tell you for a fact that they aren't making very much money so every little bit helps to keep them in business. In fact, I do everything I can do to keep those same shops in business and send the less motivated crowd to them since I have gotten out of the game of working for mostly nothing. Now when folks PM about tire changes I typically just send them to Frank over at Monkey Wrench. He is a good dude, and is one heck of a bike mechanic that charges very reasonable rates if you ask me.

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #69
tshelfer

+1 about Frank. Good guy, good mechanic, fair prices, and he tends to cut a bit of slack on his prices for TWTers (if you're nice to him. If you're a butthead, you probably still get better than you deserve, but less than you could have gotten).

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #70
misterk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons1 View Post
Funny this thread came to life again right now. I did 4 tire changes this weekend at the house. My latest make doing this home easier tool is the Baja No Pinch Tire tool.

http://www.bajanopinch.com/

It makes it almost impossible to pinch a tube installing a new tire. It like it so much I also use it mounting tubeless tires.

What bike do you have that has tubes? Tenere....no, goldwing.....no; you did the tubeliss on the twin.....?
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #71
Simmons1

Quote:
What bike do you have that has tubes? Tenere....no, goldwing.....no; you did the tubeliss on the twin.....?
KLR, WR250R, GS1000s, H1, my buddies DRZ that lives at the house.

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500
Simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #72
ki_ote

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Oh trust me, I know the "not very motivated" crowd all too well. They usually go hand in hand with the "wow, this is expensive to pay someone to do it" crowd. I was merely trying to explain the differences between changing a truck tire and a bike tire since you asked the question.

I'm glad there are shops willing to change a tire that is still on the bike for $30. I would use them every time and try my best to support them because I can tell you for a fact that they aren't making very much money so every little bit helps to keep them in business. In fact, I do everything I can do to keep those same shops in business and send the less motivated crowd to them since I have gotten out of the game of working for mostly nothing. Now when folks PM about tire changes I typically just send them to Frank over at Monkey Wrench. He is a good dude, and is one heck of a bike mechanic that charges very reasonable rates if you ask me.
Like I said, I've changed motorcycle tires plenty of times and truck tires, for that matter.
That's precisely why I said what I said. It's a tire change, not rocket science.
That being said, check out Freedom Powersports for your next tire change on a final drive bike and let me see if you have a big grin on your face.
They told me $154 on a chain driven and $194 on a final drive bike.
Yeah, that seems fair. Not!
But thanks for the heads up on Frank. He sounds like a good guy. Motivation aside, I'm willing to pay for a fair deal, versus getting ripped off while a $12 an hour kid changes my tires and the shop pockets $150.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #73
rpcraft

I'd be more akin to change my own but lately my hand strength is not what it used to be. Been suffering a little tendentious from some past accidents (and getting old maybe) so I'm just not able to work the tools like I used to. I guess if I find a chance to drive over to someones shop and pay them 60 bucks to mount a set of tires I'm saving myself a couple hours of sweating my nuts off and cussing at tires anyways, **** I've paid double that and been only mildly butt-hurt about it so 60 dollars is fantastic. I might have to try them out on the next setup. I got a front leaky tube on the DR and then I'm thinking about swapping the rear tire from a shinko 705 to a Dunlop 606, then one of the other projects has a slow leak onthe front, along with another project needing a complete set...... Heck yeah, if only I had a way to keep three bikes suspended at once, I'd be OK dropping 150 bucks for 5 wheels to be mounted or fixed, lol.
2002 V-Strom DL1000 - Pictures
rpcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #74
ramblin66

Quote:

+1 for A and R.
Two 5-star tire change experiences with them so far.

Every man dies.... Not every man lives.
ramblin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #75
c7j6y1

I wish there was somebody in the East Dallas area that did on-bike changes. Im new to the bike and want somebody else to do it the first time.
c7j6y1 is offline   Reply With Quote