TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
k9dr

Old-school DL650 and DRZ400 rider hunting South-Central TX rides

Hey, All,

I wasn't sure where to post this so after some consideration I'm trying here. Long story short:

I'm 58 years old, an old-school MX guy grown to "that certain age" and finally after many years re-indulging my yen for motorcycles. I am in San Antonio, and I ride sport bikes on roads in the area and Hill Country, but I don't know what is available in Central TX for dual sport and adventure riding. Nor do I know anybody to dual sport or adventure ride with.

So this is a general SOS asking where to adv and dual-sport ride in this area, and how I can meet people so I'm not riding by myself and getting lost or crashing and spending the night outside waiting for somebody to find me. Im a very competent rider, and even bold in my own small way, and I like to challenge myself, but I am no expert or "hard enduro" rider.

Im going to register for the March Terlingua rally but in the meantime does anybody have any suggestions for me?

I ride a very extensively farkled 2012 VStrom 650 that I like to beat the crap out of riding in creek beds and over rocks and stuff, and also like to ride smooth and fast (but safely) on the road. My ambition is to ride up to a bunch of dual sport riders in some out-of-the-way rough place on my Pig VStrom and have them say "How in the **** did you get that thing here?"

I also have a hot-rodded DRZ 400SM (now 462cc) with wide ratio tranny and a set of dirt shoes (as well as the 17's) that I do pretty much the same with, but I don't ride crazy-hard technical stuff. My "other car" is a KTM 530 EXC with 17's and a set of dirt wheels but Im looking for a replacement (WR 450, probably) because the 530 is a bit quirky and difficult to master and, ironically, a bit boring because the engine is so tractor-like.

So here is hoping I hear from a Good Motorcycling Samaritan, either through a post or a PM.

Stewart Hilliard
Boerne, TX
k9dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
JMZ

Re: Old-school DL650 and DRZ400 rider hunting South-Central TX rides

You've came to the right place . There are plenty of organized rides in around here. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115744

If you ever get out towards Gonzales I know most all the gravel/ backroads around this area .

XR650R

2000 KTM 380 EXC PLATED
1977 Honda Trail CT 125
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

Keep an eye on the "upcoming rides" thread, also check the TARA section. Sander posts a lot of rides that start around the San Antonio area. Also, if you go back to his old threads, you can download the GPX files, although that doesn't help you find others to ride with... Just come on out the next time we're meeting up.

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

I know/ride a lot of the gravel around Caldwel and Guadalupe counties, but that's a pretty far ride for you, for day trips.

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
sanderjavant

Stewart,

Next up:

Adventure Breakfast & Ride - Sat 12/16/17 @ 9a Twig's Grille in Bandera - TARA/SA

3 Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/20/18-Castroville, Texas

Come out for breakfast, there is a rotating group of riders, I don't even make every one. Great way to meet other like minded riders!

2018 Adventure Rider Breakfast Series & Ride Calendar HERE
sanderjavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
jackh1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9dr View Post
Hey, All,

I wasn't sure where to post this so after some consideration I'm trying here. Long story short:

I'm 58 years old, an old-school MX guy grown to "that certain age" and finally after many years re-indulging my yen for motorcycles. I am in San Antonio, and I ride sport bikes on roads in the area and Hill Country, but I don't know what is available in Central TX for dual sport and adventure riding. Nor do I know anybody to dual sport or adventure ride with.

So this is a general SOS asking where to adv and dual-sport ride in this area, and how I can meet people so I'm not riding by myself and getting lost or crashing and spending the night outside waiting for somebody to find me. Im a very competent rider, and even bold in my own small way, and I like to challenge myself, but I am no expert or "hard enduro" rider.

Im going to register for the March Terlingua rally but in the meantime does anybody have any suggestions for me?

I ride a very extensively farkled 2012 VStrom 650 that I like to beat the crap out of riding in creek beds and over rocks and stuff, and also like to ride smooth and fast (but safely) on the road. My ambition is to ride up to a bunch of dual sport riders in some out-of-the-way rough place on my Pig VStrom and have them say "How in the **** did you get that thing here?"

I also have a hot-rodded DRZ 400SM (now 462cc) with wide ratio tranny and a set of dirt shoes (as well as the 17's) that I do pretty much the same with, but I don't ride crazy-hard technical stuff. My "other car" is a KTM 530 EXC with 17's and a set of dirt wheels but Im looking for a replacement (WR 450, probably) because the 530 is a bit quirky and difficult to master and, ironically, a bit boring because the engine is so tractor-like.

So here is hoping I hear from a Good Motorcycling Samaritan, either through a post or a PM.

Stewart Hilliard

Boerne, TX

I'm not sure if it's an open club but San Antonio Dirt Riders also put on several rides in your area.One of their ride leaders lives on Boerne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jackh1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #7
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Mebbe the good doc found some riding buddies...

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #8
jackh1466

The Medina 250 will be a pretty good test as itís all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jackh1466 is offline   Reply With Quote