TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #21
gixxerjasen

Re: Harley-Davidson... electric motorcycle ?

Much as I dislike HD, I have to say that this will definitely push the tech into the market place.

Dang, never in my life did I think that I'd type that.
gixxerjasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #22
cheez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
@Cheez, That SP episode is classic.
Someone call Satan and tell him to sharpen his ice skates... Sharkey and I are in agreement!
2008 Harley Davidson FLHRPI Road King Police (Porky The Pig Bike!)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
2002 Honda VTX1800R (Poor Punkin got smashed by an inattentive kid)

IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || Thursday Night Irregular
cheez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #23
Meriden

It's good to see the HD producing something that is not rooted in the inter-war period, but judging by how well the V-Rod replaced the traditional line up I'm not holding my breath. (No general animosity against HD here. I'd quickly add a V-Rod to the stable if I could be guaranteed to be ignored by the guys who ignore me now when I ride a BMW.)

The Visor Down article offered some odd words:
"If Harley really is going to make this thing, it could be ground-breaking in more ways than one. It might be the first electric bike that mainstream riders will actually take very seriously, and it could broaden Harley's appeal. A double win? Let’s hope so."

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...#ixzz356PQ4YZ8

Not so sure who they are calling "mainstream riders", but unless Harley-Davidson is some new tech speak for "completely recharges in seven minutes" this is destined to remain a novelty.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #24
JRW69

Screw the batteries why couldn't they just throw a 1200 in there and make look like that. Best looking sportster ever made!
JRW69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #25
Tracker

nice looking bike.
Wonder if there will be an optional oil reservoir auto-dripper.
"Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of the tyrant and the creed of the slave."
- William Pitt
"The greater the number of laws and enactments, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao-tzu

Massey Ferguson 1020 - Old Red
Memories: Honda VLX, Triumph Speed Triple, Yamaha FZ6
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #26
NathanH

Absolutely gorgeous design. But will the buying public who would actually consider an electric bike trust that Harley can deliver a new technology well? I mean, they have a brand that is centered around nostalgia, lifestyle, and frankly are not known to be technological innovators. So, their current customer base IS NOT the market for this bike. Will customers who are currently outside their brand have the faith in HD's ability to deliver a tricky technology enough to plunk down decent sized bucks? Take the exact same bike, slap a BMW logo on it, and it'd sell like fans in Phoenix in August. Then again, HD has the marketing budget and ability to sell the concept. So if they go full force with it, it could really be a new direction for them. If they take their "Buell approach" to an innovative product - stuff it in a corner of the dealership, largely ignore it from a marketing perspective, and every salesperson in the country responds to inquiries with "why would you ask about one of those, let me show you a real bike" - then it's doomed.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London
NathanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #27
Meriden

Motorrad's as already released theirs into the wild, or Europe anyway. Knowing their market as well as HD knows theirs and already having a 200mph liter bike in the sport bike category, they went after a real big dog - Piaggio. With a range of 60 miles it's probably useless in Texas, but in Europe it may just be a good fit.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #28
focus frenzy

People who own modern Harley's already know that Harley knows a thing or two about technologically advanced motorcycles.

I know that sounds funny but go take a close look at the current full dress Harley and discover the level of cool gizmos they have.
They just need to get rid of the antiquated engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #29
DaveC

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...c7d_story.html
main stream media has it now

-\0/-
[]

"heck, that ain't far! Let's ride"
Quote:
"Such as thou art, so once was I
As I am now, so shalt thou be"
Inscribed on the tomb of The Black Prince , Edward of Woodstock, 1376
Quote:
Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.
Will Rogers

Ride Naked!
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #30
patricjft

I guess the ABC news article I posted earlier is no longer considered mainstream media?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #31
Ixta

And Smith & Wesson's soon-to-be-announced line of yoga clothing will be perceived as adequate protection by riders of HD's electric bike.
Ixta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #32
MotoTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Not so sure who they are calling "mainstream riders", but unless Harley-Davidson is some new tech speak for "completely recharges in seven minutes" this is destined to remain a novelty.
The .75-1 hour recharge time might just work for the bar-hopping rider if the bars offer charging stations.

Otherwise, I can't see how the current (pun intended) electric bikes will ever make it with riders who consider 130 miles as "just getting started" on an afternoon ride.

Though the term "mainstream riders" does probably encompass those who log less than a hundred miles a month, as they may be the lion's share of bike owners on the books. For instance, does anyone else notice a seemingly disproportionate number of cars on the road with Harley stickers? To me this would indicate ownership/brand loyalty may be more important than actual use to many of these folks. An electric bike might be a good fit for these owners.

Thinking further along the lines of how to charge a battery more effectively/efficiently from the standpoint of riding cross-country, touring, iron-butt riders, etc. I cogitated a small diesel generator being a bolt-on accessory (or design as a hybrid) that runs automatically to charge the system, whether the bike is rolling or parked. This way it might only need a twenty minute charge to "top off the electron tank" at the next break point.

It does seem to be a well packaged design. It looks good and brings electric bikes to another segment of riderdom. Motards, sportbikes, and now cruisers are represented in the plug-in motorcycle marketplace.

The toes are in the water and it is just a matter of time before these designs are distilled into forms which will eventually drive nails into the coffin of what we have come to think of as the traditional motorcycle. Electrics have potential (another pun) to offer a lot of advantages, but the disadvantages of high purchase price and necessary recharge time will need to be overcome before they are much more than a novelty, as Meriden wrote, for riders who want these to replace our dino-juice powered steeds for long days in the saddle.

Kudos to HD for the time and effort they have put into this. It is nice to see them taking the reigns to position themselves as market leaders offering new technologies.

CURRENT BIKES: '00 Suzuki DRZ400E-Plated; '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '04 KTM 950 Adventure
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #33
Tracker

Made the WSJ

HD's calling it the LiveWire
"Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of the tyrant and the creed of the slave."
- William Pitt
"The greater the number of laws and enactments, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao-tzu

Massey Ferguson 1020 - Old Red
Memories: Honda VLX, Triumph Speed Triple, Yamaha FZ6
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #34
tshelfer

All kidding aside, this may actually be a great hedge for HD's future. They totally own the American Big Iron market; there's little possibility of growth, but their forecasts are probably suggesting that the cruiser market will begin to shrink as older generations hang up their doo rags and new generations come into the market with totally different ideas about riding.

To maintain market share over a long term, I think HD realizes they need to get well outside the cruiser market. The problem is - WHERE outside? It would be hard to break into specialty markets like sport bikes or adventure bikes that are already covered so well by the Japanese and the Germans.

On the other hand, the handwriting is on the wall about electric bikes. The direction in which F1 cars and exotic high-performance sports cars is developing indicates that all-electric or heavy-hybrid cars - and thus bikes - are in our future. Right now, that is a largely untapped market, particularly for bikes. So I think HD has a golden opportunity to move in an entirely new direction and perhaps grab a major share of an emerging market. I wish them success. And I hope electric Harley riders wear safety gear.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #35
shipman

As mostly a commuter rider, I'm itching for an electric bike really bad! Just waiting for the prices to come down to my neighborhood...
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
"Get yourself a motorcycle- any motorcycle. Two wheels and an engine. And have fun." - Jamie Robinson
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #36
redden68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies View Post
Click on a several of them and it sounds like a pack. I'm easily entertained.
2002 Honda XR400R - gone
2007 KLX 250S - gone
99 Concours 1000 - gone
68 Bonnie 650 - gone
74 Yamaha 650- gone
69 Suzuki TS250 - gone
71 Bonnie 650 - gone
68 Kawasaki W2 650SS - gone
redden68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #37
MIKEYLIKESIT

i think HD's own marketing that is their fan base is their own demise. they put so much into their V twin bad boy scheme, it wont allow for anything else. anything "new" they try to do is just shunned. it kinda looks just like the XR1200 to me and that didn't go over so well either. i don't see this going anywhere.

PGR# 126703

No matter where you go------There you are...

4 out of the 5 voices in my head say go for it!!

(305): If God's watching us, we might as well be entertaining
MIKEYLIKESIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #38
Waco

I think it's great that HD is doing this and I wish them the best of luck. Heck, I might even test ride one. I'd be more interested if the range was 125 miles.