TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography > The Coffee Table

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Focusing on the small things in life... Macro Photography

So last Christmas I got my self the Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens. I also picked up a set of Kenko extension tubes. My work makes it hard for me to go places, so I figured I'd get a lens that I could use during spare moments at home. I've been experimenting with it on both the D750 (full frame) and my D7200 (crop sensor), both of which have 24Mp sensors. On the D7200, this lens is more like a 160mm Macro lens. I started out not using a flash, but have now switched to using it almost all the time. My oldest daughter, Sarah (13), has developed an interest in photography and this lets me do something fun with her as well. So this thread will be a sort of chronicling of our learning process.

This first set of shots is from a Wisteria bush in our yard. In mid March, it was in full bloom and swarming with big bees. Sarah and I wandered over to see what we could find. They are shot with the D750.

The bees were moving fast! It was hard to spot them, get in position, and grab the shot before they were already moving on to the next flower. I was using the auto-focus as well, which was frustrating because it would spend a lot of time hunting. I've since learned to just turn it off and manual focus.

A different kind of bee

Just a few interesting shots from the bush itself...

Sarah is a great spotter. She is able to pick out bugs that I don't see. She found this Lady Bug crawling around on the under side of some branches.

Two days later a tornado came through our neighborhood. The intense hail completely stripped the Wisteria bush bare. It has since budded out with new leaves, but no more flowers. We lost quite a few trees, had damage to the house, garage, and cars, but everyone came out fine. Now we are just dealing with insurance and contractors.

More to come...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas

Last edited by Tourmeister; 04-27-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
M38A1
Administrator

Re: Focusing on the small things in life... Macro Photography

...are those significant crops?

I don't play near as much with my 105mm as I probably should.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
twtex85
Forum Supporter

Really like the ones with the bees. The amount of detail is incredible. How close physically were you from the bees? Keep posting .

2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2014 Moto Guzzi California
twtex85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
notyou83

Amazing pictures. Thank you for sharing those.
notyou83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

These are all single shot exposures. I've not yet attempted any focus stacking. These are cropped, some quite a bit. At this point in my shooting, I was not really thinking in terms of keeping the lens set at the 1:1 reproduction scale. Nor was I really trying to get in tight. Now I just set the lens to 1:1 and focus by moving the camera in/out relative to the subject. This makes the subject fill much more of the frame and results in less cropping. I'll be posting some pics in a later batch that have no cropping at all.

twtex85, I don't really worry about getting close to the bees. They are busy going about their business and don't generally seem concerned with me or the camera. I grew up helping my Dad take care of 13 bee hives. For the most part, as long as you aren't going out of your way to annoy them, they aren't aggressive. Now, hornets and wasps... that might be a different story Shooting at the 1:1 setting on the lens means getting in within an inch or so from the end of the lens. Then I have to cram the flash right up there near the end of the lens as well. But I didn't start doing that until later. My latest batch of pics came out really good, especially the honey bee I got!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 04-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
M38A1
Administrator

What's this 1 inch to the subject thing? My Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 has a minimum focus distance of like 12 inches.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney

Old 04-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

So Easter weekend, we headed up to a family gathering at a cousin's place just outside of Elkhart. He has 50 acres of pastures and woods. I always take the cameras to get family shots, but this time I had the macro lens and Sarah spotted a few critters for me! These are all single exposure hand held shots, no flash, all cropped, and shot with the D750. I will leave it to you guys to identify the critters.

Common house fly I suppose...

These last shots were back at my parent's place. Sarah and I had been out riding around in the Kubota RUV and she spotted this TINY spider on the dash.

My left index finger for scale...

The thing about shooting macro is that you are working with a depth of field that is razor thin, like a millimeter or two at best. So you REALLY have to work at trying to get the important bits in focus, like eyes. Shooting hand held, you REALLY need something to brace against to help hold the camera steady. Even then just your breathing and heart beat can be enough to cause motion blur even at relatively fast shutter speeds. For the spiders and the fly, I had the camera resting on something solid. For the Caterpillar, I was free holding and trying to shoot at the end of my exhales, like when shooting guns. Stopping way down on the aperture doesn't have a real big effect on the depth of field because the lens is so close to the subject. If you look at the grit on the surfaces under the spiders and fly, you can really see just how thin the DOF really is!

[I must have something screwed up on my LR export settings because the normal EXIF info for camera, lens, settings, etc,... is not showing up!?]

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
What's this 1 inch to the subject thing? My Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 has a minimum focus distance of like 12 inches.
Whoops... getting my lenses confused! You are right. With the 105 (and no extension tubes) it is 12". I was playing around with it and a few other lenses with extension tubes and that lets you get the lens right up on the subjects. None of these shots were done with the tubes.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
M38A1
Administrator

Thanks for the clarification. Man, I was going "what does he have I don't"? lol...

Old 04-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

This next series of images was taken outside our church. I'd never seen these little red strawberry looking thingies before. They are about the size of a green pea. All of these shots were with the D750+105mm, hand held, no flash, and cropped.

A tripod would REALLY help with the quality of images like these. Even me being willing to get down on my hands and knees would help...

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Man, I was going "what does he have I don't"? lol...
Yeah, I have been doing a TON of reading as well, and most of those guys use the Canon 65mm macro that does 1-5 magnification. That one gets REAL close to the subject. So I tried the 50mm lens I have with a bunch of extension tubes and that gets me real close. I wasn't using the flash at the time though and I think I deleted ALL of those images! I may go back and try it again with the flash.

When I first started this, my keeper rate was super low. It is still maybe 1 in 25 and that is really just so I have something to keep to gauge whether or not I am improving. Few of the shots so far have the sharpness of focus and DOF I'd like to see (without resorting to stacking). However, I can see an improvement now that I started using the flash. It is amazing what a difference it makes in color and in sharpness.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
WoodButcher
Administrator

Quote:
That's 12 inches from the sensor. So only a couple from the end of the lens.

I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away - American Pie, Don McLean

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #13
M38A1
Administrator

So do I pick up that 50% effect using my crop body over a FF either of which is using the 105mm macro lens? ie: would I be better suited to use the crop body and the macro over the FF and the macro?

Old 04-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #14
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Not being happy with my results thus far, I started Googling for tips on better macro shots. I found one blog in particular that I really like!

Extreme Macro: The Art of Patience

This guy is a Canon shooter. He shoots hand held only, never crops, and never focus stacks!! His results are amazing. You can browse many of his shots here,

https://www.flickr.com/people/dalantech/

I read his entire blog, from start to finish. As crazy as it sounds, reading his blog FINALLY got me to really understand how the exposure works with the flash. I had never been real clear on that. Now I realize that the camera exposure settings really just control the ambient/background lighting and the flash is a separate controllable light source, almost like a fourth exposure setting that works (mostly) independent of the other settings. So while in the middle of reading his blog, I made some changes.

First, I switched to using the D7200 instead of the D750. Then I grabbed my SB-700 flash and extension chord so I could get the flash off camera. I set the exposure to 1/250, F11 and ISO 100. Then I headed out back to see what I could find on a BIG bush just outside our fence that was in full bloom and smelling REALLY strong! Here are the results,

A starry night

Cattitude

The flash helps. I was still having issues and at the time did not realize I had the red eye reduction setting turned on. This causes a few pre-flashes after pressing the shutter release button before the shutter actually releases. That makes timing my movements, focus, and shutter release hard. That gets changed later and makes a big difference in the number of keeper shots. Still, even with the flash related delay, some of these came out nice and the color is much better with the flash. I don't like the black backgrounds, but that also gets fixed later once I finally understood how to handle the ambient exposure apart from the flash.

The light is pretty harsh because I wasn't using any kind of diffuser other than the little pull out flip down piece built into the flash. Later, I started adding the clip on diffuser, which does better, but is still harsher than I'd like. I will probably have to make something on my own. I want softer looking highlights.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #15
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
So do I pick up that 50% effect using my crop body over a FF either of which is using the 105mm macro lens? ie: would I be better suited to use the crop body and the macro over the FF and the macro?
Yes, most macro shooters that I have been reading use a crop body with either a DX or FX lens. The guy I linked above uses a crop body Canon with the FF 65mm macro. With the crop body and the FX lens, you basically get more of your subject on the sensor, so if you do crop, you still have more pixels in the final image. This assumes both bodies have the same Mp sensors like mine. If your FF body has a much higher Mp than the crop body (like a D800/850), then it might not make as much difference.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #16
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
That's 12 inches from the sensor. So only a couple from the end of the lens.
Okay, that makes more sense. I knew I did not have the end of the lens 12" from my subjects. I was having to push leaves out of the way to make room for the lens.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
M38A1
Administrator

Yellowjackets get a little flustered when you stick that 105mm in their space. More so when it's 80*F outside. Just say'n.....

Old 04-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Okay,

So Sarah and I found ourselves with a nice afternoon and decided to do a walkabout to find some decent macro shots. The 105 was on the D7200 body and I had my 70-200 mounted with an extension tube (36mm I think) on the D750. We had the flash (still with red eye reduction on ) with the off camera chord on the D7200 and no flash for the D750. Here are the shots from the D7200. This was the day that finally drove me bonkers with the flash and led me to finding out I had the red eye reduction turned on... after we finished shooting. So I deleted a LOT of out of focus shots from this batch. Even these are not as sharp as I would like where I would like.

We tried heading over to the lake across the street from our house, but the wind was CRANKING and there was no way we were getting any decent shots over there. So we wandered back across the road toward our neighbor's back yard. I shot the following with the D750 along the way,

The neighbor's yard is huge (like 10 acres) and the dam over flow from the lake bisects it. He has several bridges over the large creek and all manner of flowers and bushes. They are grand parents and love having our kids come over to play and pester them. All these shots are from their back yard.

I don't know how Sarah spots these things. This guy is maybe 3-4mm from end to end! Getting down on the ground to shoot him was killing my knees, ankles, back... So trying to be steady while focusing was a real chore.

The flash REALLY brought out the color of what basically looked like a black fly to the naked eye. These guys really flit and flutter about, making it a chore to compose the shot you want, get it focused, and then capture it before they flick away or spin around.

I was trying really really hard to get this guy's eye focused. No luck. I had the lens and flash crammed in his face and he didn't seem to mind much at all. He flinched once or twice like he might take off, but then changed his mind each time. I had a LOT of shots of him, but they sucked... bad.

I like these two, but this guy is so small that even with a big crop he is still really tiny. I am thinking maybe those dipoter magnification lens filters that screw into the end of the lens might be worth trying. They aren't expensive and I have been seeing pics taken with them that look really good.

Sarah and I were on the neighbor's back deck visiting with his wife when Sarah spotted the Daddy Long Leg above the wife's head... She moved. Then I grabbed a few shots.

We both were getting tired and hungry, so we headed back to the house for dinner. I put the flash thing out of my mind for a bit. Next time out though...

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #19
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

And finally, the most recent shots I've taken.

These were taken at a giant bush covered with white flowers on the edge of our church parking lot. It can be smelled from several hundred feet away!! It also had a ton of wild honey suckle growing all around it. So it was covered with bees and all manner of other buggage. This time I had the red eye reduction setting turned OFF! I was anxious to see how I could do with the camera firing the instant I pressed the shutter release button. I popped off a few shots without the flash to get my ambient exposure up just high enough to get some background color so things wouldn't be so dark. I think I had the camera (D7200+105 lens) set at 1/250, F16, and ISO 400 or so. I was using the ISO to control the background brightness as I moved around in and out of shade and direct sunlight. Then I would cram the flash right up near the subject and start weaving back and forth trying to grab the focus I wanted. All these were shot 1:1 and had minimal cropping.

The eyes are way out of focus but I included this one just because you can see how much pollen is all over this dude. How can he see!?

Look at the hairs growing right out of the compound eyes!! I had no idea they did that.

This dude was shy. As soon as I'd compose, he'd usually turn away before I could fire off the shot. I chased him a good while to get these.

No idea what this is. I was just amazed at how much pollen was on him.

Is the white dot the eye into his soul...? Check out the little red eyes...

And a parting flower pic... just because...

Impressions? Getting the flash set right really helps! Also, on some of these I played around with FEC and got it down to -1.0 and -2.0 occasionally. I was trying to under expose to saturate the colors and then bring things back up in Lightroom later. The light is still harsh even with the diffuser cap on the flash. I think I will make one of those little soft boxes that go on the end of the flash and see how that works. The other issue is that holding the camera in one hand and the flash in the other REALLY wears out my right arm. I need to get a brack of some kind with one of those articulated arms to hold the flash where I want it. That will also make it MUCH easier to hold the camera steady. As it was, I was kind of leaning my lens on the left hand to help stabilize the body/lens.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #20
h2000fb
Forum Supporter

It was surprising to me to see some of the colors on those bugs. Just beautiful, even those pesky flies! Favorite color combo? The caterpillar with blue, orange strips and beige spots. Spiders? Well, the one with his legs gathered on each side of his head - fascinating.

Time well spent I think.

Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote