TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
kickstand~prophet

Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

Don't know if this has ever been brought up before here. My addiction was started by my father many moons ago. My first motorcycle was a 1976 brown Kawasaki KE100. Tell us who started you riding motorcycles? Drew
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
gixxerjasen

Re: Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

Interesting subject topic. I'd considered motorcycles but never seriously. There was a girl who'd been a friend, then a girlfriend, and then we'd decided we were better as friends, but became roommates. Odd and strange I know, but such as it is.

She'd talked about motorcycles and I did some research and decided that good beginner bikes would be Katana 600's as they were inexpensive and not as like to kill us outright. She pushed me and we went shopping. I came across a deal in Cycle Trader for new ones for $4999 but the deal had expired. Everyone else wanted $500-$1000 more for them even though they were 97's in 1998. We'd agreed that if we could find that kind of deal we'd jump on it.

Perusing the yellow pages at our apartment in Melbourne, there was an ad in there for a dealer in Daytona that said "Worth the drive from anywhere!" I figured I wasn't about to drive but I'd make a phone call. I called the dealer and asked if he had any Katana 600's and he had three. I asked him the price and he replied "$4999." I told him "Great, I'll take two!" There was a fantastic moment of silence.

We drove up and put our deposit the next day. A week later of securing loans and insurance and we picked up our first bikes. Eight months later my job moved me to Texas and she moved to live with some friends in Wisconsin.

Sadly, after about a year I totaled my Katana, but she still has hers. She doesn't ride so much anymore and her bike has about as many miles on it as mine did when I wrecked it.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Meriden

As a 3rd generation rider it was a given - I was just issued one. And so was my little brother and sister. I felt the biggest rip-off came after I grew tall enough for a real bike and would come home from school to find my grandfather out on my bike! In retrospect it was not that bad. The old guy taught me how to ride without getting killed and he didn't take it too often.

m

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Jpuppybutt

I was not allowed to buy a motorcycle when I was a teenager. So later, someone gave me a 1986 250 Honda Rebel. Then I got a Suzuki GS500. and now I have Kawasaki Versys. I want my next bike to be VMAX, but probably way too big for me.
Jpuppybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
buck000

The seed was planted back in the late 60s when a friend of mine in KY had Honda Trail 50s for him, his brother, and friends to ride on his (dad's) farm.

I even think about motorcycles until we took a vacation to the Algarve in the south of Portugal back in 2001, where there just happened to be a large motorcycle rally. I think the seed germinated while we were driving back north through Portugal with all manner of bikes passing us. I got my first motorcycle back in Sept. '01; I don't think 9/11 had anything to do with it...

I wish I'd stuck with dirt biking for a few years back when I first had the chance, but my folk's circumstances and finances didn't allow for that.

Chris Martenson Crash Course - Worth viewing.
buck000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
M38A1
Administrator

Too funny.... I think it started with a KE100 (lime green) for me as well. About 17 years of age a new friend of mine from the PRK used to race Elisnor's. He liked to tinker with mechanical things as did I and we came across a deal for a KE100 in parts for $100. We bought it and put it back together and rode it. Well, he rode it much more then me, but the seed was planted. A year or so later I bought my first motorcycle.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Tattoogunman

Kid I knew in El Paso, whose name I've long since forgotten, who taught me to ride dirt bikes.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what wearing protective gear could do.
Tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Maintainer

Dad bought my first Sears minibike at around 9 years of age then a Cushman Eagle about 2 years later. But really my friends and neighborhood buddies got me into bikes as a teen. I remember riding an old 72 Honda CB 350 thinking it was fast, LOL.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
kojack06

The tv series,"Then came Bronson"
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
fortbriscoe

My dad started it. He bought my younger brother a HD Aeromacchi 65 cc 2-stroke because he felt bad for him that Texas raised the driver's license age to 16. I received my license at 14.

"The purpose of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." Westminster Shorter Catechism
fortbriscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Annhl8rX

I suppose that would be my grandfather. He bought me a 50cc Suzuki four wheeler for my second birthday. I move to two wheels as soon as I was old enough to balance. If he hadn't started me off, my dad would have.
Annhl8rX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
trainman

My cousin back in 1967, he had a Honda 305 Scrambler, I was hooked. I couldn't afford that much money for a bike like that back then, but I did buy a new Kawasaki 175 Enduro. I've been riding Enduro's/Dual Sport bikes every since.

John
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
DFW_Warrior

My Dad got me a Yamaha Tri-Zinger before my 3rd birthday. This is me taking Grandma for a ride on it.

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
cheez

My buddy Brandon, who inherited his dad's 96 Heritage Softtail. He was a blues singer and harmonica man, and a very good friend of mine, and when he passed away unexpectedly, I promised myself I'd learn to ride as I'd always wanted to. Took the MSF later that year and in five years I've put almost 70,000 miles on two different VTXes.

It didn't hurt that I had three good friends into riding and spent my early teens wearing Harley shirts and a chain wallet and hanging out at Cajun Cycles in Lafayette, LA, begging the sales guys to let me sit on the bikes.

Last edited by cheez; 01-18-2013 at 06:55 PM.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Yeeha! Stephen

One of my few brushes with the famous.
Mike Kidd the AMA Championship dirt tracker got me into it. Mike and I went to the same school and he used to give me rides home on a press-frame Honda 65.
God, I loved the smell of that bike.
I also worked on a truck farm in Southlake back then picking vegetables. The farm owner's 2 sons were also into dirt tracking. They all convinced me to get a Hodaka 100 dirt tracker and try my luck. Tried one whole summer out at Ross Downs but I wasn't any good and quit. Spent the rest of that bike's life on the 360 Trails near Arlington/Mosier Valley. (and the DQ trails near Hurst if anyone remembers them)

MotoGP - Soap Opera for Men

"Why eat a burger when you can have pie?"
Ms Vicki 2002 @ Lost Maples Cafe, Utopia Tx
Yeeha! Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #16
budzrex

My dad got me started at age 4, gave me the money as a birthday present
and I went to Bob Lunsfords Downtown Honda and paid cash for my first
motorcycle

I was their youngest customer on record
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Ouroboros

Dad.
17 HD Road Glide Special 16 Husqvarna 701 Enduro, 14 KTM 1190 R 13 BMW R1200 GSA 81 Yamaha Seca 550
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
h2000fb
Forum Supporter

Had a couple of friends with mini bikes, our paperboy had a motorcycle. That did it. I needed one. At 14 yrs old, I got a paper route and Dad let me buy my first bike. It was a red Bridgestone 60. Man, was I stepping high!

Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Downs

My dad. He rode a lot as a kid and as a guy fresh out of basic training stationed in Fort Benning. He got out of riding after I was born from my understanding. When I was in late grade school/early junior high he got into it again with on a Yammie SECA 650. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I still think the SECAs are awesome bikes

When I was 14 we started looking for shortcuts to get my motorcycle license from claiming residency in Alabama where 14 to 16 year olds could operate 250cc bikes to trying to get a hardship license. None of those panned out and I wound up on a Bandit1200 of all things when I turned 16 haha. I managed to survive that trip.

Lots of our family have also been riders. My grandfathers on both sides and my great grandfathers. I never met my dad's dad. He died of cancer (welder) when my dad was 9 but he was a rider also.

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

03 TW200

08 MazdaSpeed3
Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
cwadej

It would have to be my brother's best friend. I was 8, they were 11. Vic's dad had brought back a Motocompo from Japan. We blasted all over the neighborhood on that thing for the next few years. I was hooked.