TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
solorider

End of June Houston to Arctic Circle

Couple of us will be heading to the Arctic Circle via Dempster towards end of June/early July. So far three of us are confirmed, two KLR's and one Vstrom.
Here's the partial route:

For some reason the link to the google map no workie (it did on Advrider so I don't think it's me), click here to view the route.

We'll be camping most of the way and may change the route as it pleases us. If anyone is interested in joining us drop me a line.

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
solorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
M38A1
Administrator

Re: End of June Houston to Arctic Circle

What is the intended duration?

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown
"If we'd have had the video ability of today back then, the movies would have been epic!" - Tourmeister
"We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone" - Katie Thurmes

2002 BMW R1150GS - "Number 5"
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
solorider

We are anticipating one month, we can expand it a little to be 1.5 months if everyone is in agreement. The Vstrom rider is on a schedule of one month max (work gets in the way) but we others decide to take longer he is open to heading back on his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
What is the intended duration?

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
Old 04-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
MadKaw500

now that sounds like a **** of a trip...ya'll have fun

Father, the sleeper has awaken...

Last edited by WoodButcher; 05-01-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling around filter
MadKaw500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
solorider

You wanna come with? On the way over we are going to ride the north side of the Grand Canyon and go into the bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadKaw500 View Post
now that sounds like a **** of a trip...ya'll have fun

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800

Last edited by WoodButcher; 05-01-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling around filter
Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
DrBlackbird

What % on road off road........Is this a true Adventure Ride or a touristy sight-seeing road ride?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
solorider

Mostly offroad, dirt track, etc. There is some blacktop but that cannot be avoided (one of the guys wants to ride route 66).
If we wanted to do a touristy sight seeing ride I would have taken my Goldwing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBlackbird View Post
What % on road off road........Is this a true Adventure Ride or a touristy sight-seeing road ride?

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
Old 04-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
10-95

Can you postpone for 4 more years???

I can't retire until then.

2006 DL1000
Size 14 REEBOKS
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Dirtrideroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by solorider View Post
We are anticipating one month, we can expand it a little to be 1.5 months if everyone is in agreement. The Vstrom rider is on a schedule of one month max (work gets in the way) but we others decide to take longer he is open to heading back on his own.
That sounds exactly like the kind of trip I would like to take to Alaska, but I don't have that kind of time just yet. I think my first trip will probably be a 3 week max trip. Unless I wait until my kids are out of college. Right now I am still waiting on the first one to start.
IBA #23263

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline,
it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons,
but at the very least you need a good beer"
-Frank Zappa
Dirtrideroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Todd

We (g/f and I) rode our two KLR 650s from Bellingham WA to Prudhoe Bay last spring. We had our bikes trailered by a friend from Houston to Bellingham where we flew into (we both work). Then we rode 5500 miles on as many dirt roads as we could find (still a lot of good pavement). We entered Alaska (the 2nd time after Hyder) via the Top-of-the-World highway - the northerly most entry point (and our first snow). The ride to Prudhoe Bay (the most northerly point in US asccessible by "road") was truely "out there" - nothing around but tundra (and one other rider that ran out of gas Yes - we had enough x-tra for him). Kenai Pennensula (the most westerly point in US accessable by road) was very scenic. We took the ferry back to Bellingham (ouch $$$) and flew home back to work and waited for our bikes to be trailered back to Houston 2 weeks later. Three weeks off work was barely enough time for our little trip. It truely was a trip of a lifetime. 5,000 miles of riding bliss. 500 miles of freezing rain, snow, ice, calcium chloride slippery as soap dirt roads, and thick peanut butter mud. G/F almost

Y'all have fun - wish I could join you. (Wish I had time to write more about it, too - oh, the memories.......)

EDIT: I have to agree with DFW below, our trip was nothing but riding. One month to ride all the way is going to make for some long days. Have fun guys.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
DFW_Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by solorider View Post
Mostly offroad, dirt track, etc. There is some blacktop but that cannot be avoided (one of the guys wants to ride route 66).
If we wanted to do a touristy sight seeing ride I would have taken my Goldwing.
Dang, one month to ride that using mostly dirt roads is going to be a ton of riding. Y'all have fun. It took us three weeks to get up there and back and we took a truck and trailer to Calgary.

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
solorider

Yep, it's going to be a lot of riding but we are going to take it easy. If we need to add another week to the trip we'll do so. As long as I get wifi access once in a while I'm good to go.

If this trip goes well (if we all get along) myself and another rider going with us may do a round/across the world trip at some point in the future.

Once the ride starts, I'll be uploading tons of pics, at least three of us will have cameras, my louse digital point/click, a DSLR and another guy who used to be a pro photographer (don't know if there's a reason he's not anymore).

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
KLRKrup47

Sounds like a fun trip, I would consider being interested however sounds like you are going to be running faster and farther then I might be comfortable with. I like to take my time and really enjoy trips rather then just getting to the destination.. oh well have fun
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
solorider

That's why the trip is open ended. There is currently one person who has to be back at work, but he may have to just ride back by himself and rest of us might stay for another week or two.
Myself, I am in it for the ride I can take it or leave it as far as sites go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRKrup47 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip, I would consider being interested however sounds like you are going to be running faster and farther then I might be comfortable with. I like to take my time and really enjoy trips rather then just getting to the destination.. oh well have fun

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
ed29

So, looking at the maps and such.... It looks to be a 12,000 mile round trip, give or take a thousand for sightseeing jaunts. That is a lofty goal for a month, or six weeks. Plan on averaging almost 300 miles a day for six weeks straight, with no breaks or days off the bikes.

The logistics are enormous. I hope that you have a blast with this undertaking and return home safe and happy that you did it.

Life is short... Ride it hard.
ed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Hood Ornament

Hmmmm, Pencil me in as a maybe. I'm in the process of getting rid of a lot of stuff including my house so I can spend 6 months to a year just wandering around on the V Strom. While I probably won't be ready to do that until the end of summer, taking a month or so off might be a good trial to see if I really want to do it for the long haul. Should know by the end of this month if I'm gonna have things well enough in order to be able to do this trip.

I'm not a squid I'm a Kraken!

Escaped from TX!!!!

'05 DL 650 Wee Strom
'06 DR 650
'07 450 EXC
'07 GSXR 600 Squidtacular!
'08 690 E
'09 KX450F ..... Just because
Hood Ornament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #17
Ital/vzla

I'm too planing an Alaska trip, Summer 09 or 2010 July or August.
I would like to have couple rider came along, but so far it looks like a solo trek.
My destination would be Deadhorse, Prudhoe Bay Alaska.
These estimation are for round trip from Austin TX in my 1150GS:
10,000miles , 240 gallon of gas = $720 of it at $3 bucks a gallon , +168 hour of road time, roughly 14 days of riding
Riding 500 miles a day would take 20 days, (but I would try 3 gas tanks a day which comes up to 720 miles in my "GS" a day or 12 hour a day= 14 days of riding, now! this is in ideal condition and with no repairs
Again that it is sort impossible in a 10000 miles trip, in which 4000 miles would be in the roughest road found on earth," not counting BAD weather," the wear and tear on the bike would require some sort of R&R and it would add another 5 days of down time to this trip.
I anticipating replacing tires twice in the rear and maybe once in the front, also minor repairs in case I drop and damage a repairable part such as lights, brakes, fenders, panniers, flats etc....
In Canada the most challenging part would be riding the Northern Territory and the Tundra in Al, which if I understood correctly for the many articles that I have read; it is over 2K miles of dirt, gravel, rocks and bears territory, very challenging ride.
I'm too will try to stay away from pave road whenever possible.
I'll ship before hand a set of tires, oil and filters to a location in Rawson City, Canada, which I consider would be an ideal location for some quick repairs after clocking 4k miles and perhaps place a new order with a friend here in TX to ship other items I would anticipate needing on my way back from the Artic.
And since I would be pinching pennies here in my case, I would try to sleep in my tent as many time as possible, weather permitting of course.
Ital/vzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Dirtrideroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ital/vzla View Post
I'll ship before hand a set of tires, oil and filters to a location in Rawson City, Canada,
Did you mean Dawson City?

Every year, my Alaska trip gets pushed off until next year. Maybe if it doesn't happen next year, I could tag along with you.
If you start out with new tires, I would think you would only have to change your tires once. This depends on the kind of tires you are planning on running. I have thought about arranging to get a new set of TKC80's mounted in the States before crossing over in to British Columbia. I don't know what kind of mileage to expect out of them, but it would be ideal if I could get back to the States before needing to replace them.

Keep us posted as the details come together in your planning.
IBA #23263

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline,
it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons,
but at the very least you need a good beer"
-Frank Zappa
Dirtrideroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
solorider

Sorry about the delay. We have 5 people going already and at this point we don't want to add any more. I'll let you know if things change.
What you are doing sounds interesting, I'm tinkering with the idea of getting rid of everything and just traveling around. Let me know how things work around, I'm sure the biggest obstacle is the fear of letting go!

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood Ornament View Post
Hmmmm, Pencil me in as a maybe. I'm in the process of getting rid of a lot of stuff including my house so I can spend 6 months to a year just wandering around on the V Strom. While I probably won't be ready to do that until the end of summer, taking a month or so off might be a good trial to see if I really want to do it for the long haul. Should know by the end of this month if I'm gonna have things well enough in order to be able to do this trip.

2012 Ural Gearup
2008 GL1800
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
Plane Dr

Google only go as far as Carmacks?

The circle is only just north of Eagle Plains. Stop and have an Eagle claw for me. Stop at ONE! (easier said than done).

Personally I didn't much care for the Dempster, I like the country up to Dawson the best. Dawson is a hoot in summer. Lots of pretty girls in town to serve the tourist industry. Diamond Gertie's is fun as well to get that "klondike" experience.

Be safe on the dempster lots of truck and they don't like to share. Take your time and enjoy.

Former bikes
2012 Wee, 2005 R1200GS AKA The Mothership, 2003 Z1000 Nuclear Pumpkin, 2001 DRZ470SSW SM/Dirt Experiment, 1986 RG500 WW Gamma smoker, 1984 GPZ900 Ninja, 1974? 754 Chopper (don't ask), 1978 KZ1000 The Cow, 1972 XS650, H1's, H2's, RD's, RM, GT's.......

Far too many 2 strokes....
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote