Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Prayer Requests

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
Lucydad
Forum Supporter

mom approaching end

All,

My 96 year old mother living in Durango, CO is approaching her end. She has been in assisted living over 4 years, and latest medical exam was pretty grim. We are having an exam next week to qualify her for hospice in place. I manage her affairs from a distance here in Sugar Land. Anyway, prayers please for my mom--she is a brave one, but her body and mind are giving up. She also is nearly blind and deaf, and down to 85 pounds, and can barely walk with assistance.

I am trying to get the manager of the assisted living place to weigh in with her opinion, and also mom's primary care physician to do an exam. After that, if they both support hospice in place, I will approve that change. I am praying for their participation and communication.

Mom used to love to ride our Honda MT 50s at our cabin in San Juan county. She also let us have motorcycles, snowmobiles and never gave us the big fear message about them. So yeah....
Lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Re: mom approaching end

I'm very sorry to hear that. My mother passed just over a week ago. She made the decision that it was time to go and the hospice nurse removed the oxygen. It was tough to endure, but she's out of her pain now. My thoughts are with you as you face this transition.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:27 AM   #3
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

How do you say good bye to a loved one? We just know it is a part of life and accept it as it is. Its is still hard to take as we all know. Hang in there lucydad
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
leeo45

Prayers said from several states away. Comfort for you, and for wisdom and caring from the involved professionals. I hope you are able to make it to Colorado and spend a little time with her while she is still here.
leeo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:51 AM   #5
Bosqueboy

Prayers sent up for you and family...
Bosqueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
blupupher

Good luck with whatever choices are made. It can be a hard one, but the right one for hospice. Allow for some dignity for her and also the family.
Must be hard being so far away from her with all this.

Prayers for her and the family at this time.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
slowindown

In my prayers. May God give her and loved ones peace in the storm and strength to walk through it.
slowindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
Sluggo

Prayers from the Hill Country.
2006 KTM 450EXC
2005 MZ1000S
2005 Honda CRF150F (wife's)
2004 KTM 65SX (son's)
2001 Honda CBR F4i
1996 Ducati Monster M900
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
1974 Moto Guzzi "Police" California
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado w/ Dnepr Sidecar
1972 BMW R75/5 Cafe Racer
*not to mention several bikes in parts
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
one Wolf

Sorry to know your Mom's not doing well.

It's a hard decision but one we have to face and do what is best for our loved ones. Hope you and Mom have peace.

Prayers up.

2016 GSX-S 1000FA... purple cap

2014 BMW R 1200 GS... purple cap

'07 FJR1300, purple cap...Gone

'08 Silver DL1000, purple cap...Gone

'I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride my motorcy.....cle'
one Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
_RG_

Hospice are wonderful people who care not only for their patients but also for the families effected. Their services are far more encompassing than simply dealing with end of life comfort. Chances are, you have a Hospice organization near you. Look them up. Call them and arrange a time to visit with them. Go by and pickup some of their guides. One in particular seemed comforting to me - called "Gone From My Sight." They have many others and each one probably resonates differently with folks in different situations. They also facilitate group sessions for people in every stage of bereavement. This is what they do every day and they're very good at it. There is no cost to you for any of this. You do not have to hack through this alone.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
Johnf3

I will second RG's thoughts. My father recently passed from a long illness. We used Hospice and he was able to pass in his own house, which was his final wish as far as that was concerned.

In a situation where a loved one is at the end-of-life scenario, Hospice is a wonderful thing.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Windmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
I will second RG's thoughts. My father recently passed from a long illness. We used Hospice and he was able to pass in his own house, which was his final wish as far as that was concerned.

In a situation where a loved one is at the end-of-life scenario, Hospice is a wonderful thing.
I totally agree, home gives peace. If this is possible, and it is not always because it requires a lot of family and friends helping. We did it for six months with my mother, it was hard on everyone and at the last had to use in-home care for 12-15 hours a day at two to three hundred dollars a day. Hospice just comes by weekly to administer pharmacy and help with things like hospital bed and gowns and such. They are sincerely so helpful.There are ways to get in-home care from Medicare or Medicaid, I believe Hospice is paid by Medicare and Medicaid.
The body going to rest is simple and just as natural as being born, but doing it on your own terms can be a battle, one that can be won.
I looked it up Hospice is a Medicare benefit we paid taxes for.

Last edited by Windmill; 04-01-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: funding corection
Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:08 PM   #13
my6

Prayers for what you are going through. I miss both my parents everyday but I know they are together again and are without pain.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
Gravel Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
Hospice are wonderful people who care not only for their patients but also for the families effected. Their services are far more encompassing than simply dealing with end of life comfort. Chances are, you have a Hospice organization near you. Look them up. Call them and arrange a time to visit with them. Go by and pickup some of their guides. One in particular seemed comforting to me - called "Gone From My Sight." They have many others and each one probably resonates differently with folks in different situations. They also facilitate group sessions for people in every stage of bereavement. This is what they do every day and they're very good at it. There is no cost to you for any of this. You do not have to hack through this alone.
This is good advice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
Prayers for what you are going through. I miss both my parents everyday but I know they are together again and are without pain.
Prayers from our house, as well......

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
Centex
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
Yet another endorsement of Hospice Care from a family member here - it was a huge help in every respect (physical and emotional) for everyone when my father's end of life occurred, by his choice at home where he was most comfortable, and also for my Uncle at a care facility where he'd been for awhile.

No one must feel 'alone and unguided' through end of life - there are tremendously skilled and compassionate folks available to support all family members. Cost is a zero factor, it's free, getting that factor 'off the table' is only a small, but meaningful, part of the benefit.

Hoping strength and comfort for all of Lucydad's family through this difficult time, you have my love and empathy.
2001 M750

Last edited by Centex; 04-02-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #16
PDL

Lost my mom 2 years ago on Easter morning. Hospice is the greatest help. Prayer's for her and you.
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote