TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #121
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Re: IF I were to get a dirt bike, what should I get?

I just picked up my sons CRF250L from CA a week or so ago and rode it around the a little bit, it is pretty nice. 6 speed and runs strong for a little guy. Honda has a CRF450L coming out

2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1968 CT90
2018 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali Duramax (oh baby)
1979 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, Skid Steer, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, , all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #122
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Try not to get hung up on finding the "perfect" bike right out of the gate. They don't exist. If you buy any used bike for a reasonable price, you should be able to ride it long enough to see what you like or dislike, and then sell it without taking a beating. Bikes like the XRs, KLRs, DRZs, etc, tend to reach a lower limit on the price and then never drop below that unless they are just trashed. So, unless you trash them you can usually get back out of them for close to what it cost to get into them, sometimes more...The only issue for you really will be the suspension because of the weight. If you don't get that sorted on any of the bikes you try, you will likely be disappointed with them, regardless of power. I would definitely try to accept the offer of a test ride on 2WheelNut's WR450 since he already has it set up for a rider your size.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #123
MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Some sweet air would be nice...

26 lbs difference? Does it really feel that much heavier with that small of a difference? Especially considering I'm probably 285 lbs with all the gear on?
Speaking of catching air, I did a heal clicker once...didn't mean too.

Back in the day when there were 125, 250 and 400-500 cc two stroke motocross bikes around, I rode/raced mostly 250 and a 465 but occasionally a 125. The weight differences were similar or a little less than above but the riding experience was significantly different. The 250 was a pretty good mix of power and flickability. But get on that 125 and hold it wide open and bounce it off things, anything to turn and just smile. My 465 turned okay but it was more of a point and shoot, short shift and ride the torque kind to thing.

Even though the weight is not much different, you have to take into account for the rotating mass of the motor ie. crank, rod, piston and flywheel. Think of how you're spinning bicycle wheel wants to stay up right when you spin it.

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that?)
White 18 Honda PCX (153 cc of Heck and Fury)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #124
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Most anything small will feel like a 10 speed compared to his AT

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #125
Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
plated 2012 WR450F
Really appreciate the offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotamiketx View Post
I just picked up my sons CRF250L from CA a week or so ago and rode it around the a little bit, it is pretty nice. 6 speed and runs strong for a little guy. Honda has a CRF450L coming out
Yeah, I wish the 450L had been out a few years already. I'd be seriously looking at it. I'm thinking I should start with the 250 and see where it goes from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Most anything small will feel like a 10 speed compared to his AT
Hehe, probably.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #126
weekend_warrior

I like the sound of the option to pick something, ride it for a bit. Figure out what you like and don't. Then move the direction you want with a better purpose. If you shop around and pick up used like mentioned you will likely be able to sell it for what you have in it of not close. You might find that dirt is the way and want to go that route or decide its just not for you and scrap it all together. Either way it will be an adventure!

That WR450 sounds like a good deal. Will putt around a field all day or down a dirt road all day, hit as nasty of single track as you dare (slow and easy works as well). Can update the plates so the street legal part is already worked out. Will work well for dual sport. Add a comfortable seat though. Good suspension as well for about anything you care to throw at it. I would check that option out as I think the that while the 250 will be fun it you will out grow it quickly or be hunting for another gear in the wide open stuff. With the 450, like with your AT you will need to learn a little throttle control.
06 KTM450EXC (plated) - For Sale
weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #127
Annhl8rX

The advice I give to any full grown male looking for a first dirt bike is pretty much the same. You can’t go wrong with one of the big three...KDX200 (or 220), XR400, or DRZ400.

They’re all proven reliable machines, were (or have been) made for long enough to make parts readily available and fairly cheap, are plentiful on the used market, and are powerful enough to grow into without being too intimidating for a new dirt rider.

The DRZ has the advantage of being offered in a factory dual sport configuration, while the KDX has the benefit of simpler maintenance (as well as that awesome two stroke sound and smell).

None of these are gonna serve you too well on a motocross track, but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re looking to do.
Annhl8rX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #128
Jarrett

I'm guessing a DRZ 400SM is not a good option due to the wheels?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:36 AM   #129
Annhl8rX

Quote:
I'm guessing a DRZ 400SM is not a good option due to the wheels?

In that configuration it would be a pretty poor dirt bike, but dirt wheels are readily available for a swap. Then you’d have two bikes for just a little more cost than one.
Annhl8rX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #130
mcs92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annhl8rX View Post
In that configuration it would be a pretty poor dirt bike, but dirt wheels are readily available for a swap. Then you’d have two bikes for just a little more cost than one.
IIRC, dual sports and supermotos derived from the same model (DRZ400S and DRZ400SM; WR250R and WR250X; KLX250S and KLX250SF) usually have different suspension setups as well to perform better on trails or street respective of trim.

I'm not trying to say getting the supermoto with a 18/21 wheelset with knobby tires on the side is absolutely heinous and blasphemous, but it doesn't technically allow for a complete 2-in-1 bike as implied. However, it may totally do the job for you. I know I hardly flirt with full capabilities of the tires and suspension on my own dual sport. Just a thought...
mcs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #131
Meriden

At the risk of being a kill joy, we're about four pages into overthinking this. (Of course, overthinking bikes is half the fun.)

I'd recommend re-reading Shadman's posts, setting aside $1500 and buying the first thing that comes along, even if it's not the perfect size, sprung right, or whatever.

In the meantime it's Smithville for lunch at Pockets.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #132
Jarrett

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #133
Jarrett

Well, after much overthinking, I decided to go pick this up today:

2014 Honda CRF250L

It's got a couple after market go fast parts on it, but it's slow as molasses. That said, it putts along well and I think that's all I need for dirt for now.

I decided I wanted to go with a fuel injected bike so as to not mess with carbs. Plus I'm already familiar with 2012+ Honda's, so everything already makes sense to me on it. Also 2WheelNut made a good point to me today, that if my daughter and I might be doing some dirt biking together, the 250 would be good for her to start out on for sure. Probably me as well.

And if I get hooked on it, it can become her bike and I can buy something with more cajones.

Guess I'm a Honda guy...

Last edited by Jarrett; 07-12-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #134
copb8
Forum Supporter

Congrats. Excellent choice

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
09 KTM 400 XC-W Plated (for sale)
copb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #135
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor

Awesome choice! So you're coming to Mextrek in October????? Its a slippery slope.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:49 AM   #136
copb8
Forum Supporter

More like a slippery cliff....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
09 KTM 400 XC-W Plated (for sale)
copb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #137
Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
Awesome choice! So you're coming to Mextrek in October????? Its a slippery slope.
Baby steps
Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #138
Jarrett

Just took it for a proper spin. Looks like it tops out around 80mph, but seems to cruise comfortably around 65mph.

It's much more fun running around in our pasture than my AT and it fits in the back of my truck with the tailgate closed.

This little thing might be a lot of fun.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #139
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, after much overthinking, I decided to go pick this up today:

2014 Honda CRF250L

It's got a couple after market go fast parts on it, but it's slow as molasses. That said, it putts along well and I think that's all I need for dirt for now.

I decided I wanted to go with a fuel injected bike so as to not mess with carbs. Plus I'm already familiar with 2012+ Honda's, so everything already makes sense to me on it. Also 2WheelNut made a good point to me today, that if my daughter and I might be doing some dirt biking together, the 250 would be good for her to start out on for sure. Probably me as well.

And if I get hooked on it, it can become her bike and I can buy something with more cajones.

Guess I'm a Honda guy...
Good choice and all good reasons. You can get the 450 model when it comes out, lol.
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #140
Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
You can get the 450 model when it comes out, lol.
I like the way you think