TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Scorch
 
Scorch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Heaven
Posts: 956
Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Harvey came and my JD zero turn 757 lawnmower that was submerged in 4ft water for 8 days. I got it back to the house today and drained the engine oil, filled the crankcase with fresh oil and drained it again, then changed the filter and added the normal amount of oil. I siphoned all the gas/water from the fuel tank, and bled the fuel line. I removed the spark plugs and siphoned what water I could from the cylinders, and sprayed WD-40 in. I will drain the hydraulic oil and change the filter, and replace the fuel filter and air filter element. Last, I will replace the battery. I'll crank it over until I have displaced any residual water from the combustion chambers, then put the plugs back in and add fresh fuel.

Anything I am missing? Wish me luck!
__________________
Born to run silent
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
aspr
 
aspr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Fm 237, 77974
Posts: 276
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Do it all again. Hand crank with a socket wrench on the flywheel before using the starter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
Windmill
Forum Supporter
 
Windmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Thorndale
Posts: 1,407
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Harvey came and my JD zero turn 757 lawnmower that was submerged in 4ft water for 8 days. I got it back to the house today and drained the engine oil, filled the crankcase with fresh oil and drained it again, then changed the filter and added the normal amount of oil. I siphoned all the gas/water from the fuel tank, and bled the fuel line. I removed the spark plugs and siphoned what water I could from the cylinders, and sprayed WD-40 in. I will drain the hydraulic oil and change the filter, and replace the fuel filter and air filter element. Last, I will replace the battery. I'll crank it over until I have displaced any residual water from the combustion chambers, then put the plugs back in and add fresh fuel.

Anything I am missing? Wish me luck!
I would have a fan blowing on engine full time to make sure electrics are dry, and change oil again after a short run period. Spray everything with coat of WD40 especially carburetor and electric and cables. I bet you win round two. Keep us posted and just do it.
__________________
Christianity is not a self improvement project (unknown)
Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
rsmith56
 
rsmith56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Littlefield
Posts: 35
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Air Filter.......
__________________
Roland
15 BMW K1600 GTL
16 BMW R1200 GS/A
17 HD CVO LTD
rsmith56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
IndyRC
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 479
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

I submerged a dirt bike in a water crossing once. I changed the oil approx. 12 times before it stopped looking milky.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
SilverBullet
Forum Supporter
 
SilverBullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Harmaston, TX
Posts: 5,929
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
I submerged a dirt bike in a water crossing once. I changed the oil approx. 12 times before it stopped looking milky.
I was there that day. Then 3 years later ended up buying that bike from you but forgot about the submarine ride in Peach Creek. Lol

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200 EXC
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Scorch
 
Scorch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Heaven
Posts: 956
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Three oil changes later and still not clean.
__________________
Born to run silent
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
aggie81
 
aggie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rural Denton County
Posts: 746
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

My bigger concern would be the hydrostatic transmission. If that is vented, as my Kubota is, water may have worked its way in there as well. I'd drain and have a look at the contents. You can always pour it back in if it's clean.
aggie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
focus frenzy
Moderator
 
focus frenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cleburne
Posts: 11,589
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie81 View Post
My bigger concern would be the hydrostatic transmission. If that is vented, as my Kubota is, water may have worked its way in there as well. I'd drain and have a look at the contents. You can always pour it back in if it's clean.
he did.

you got to get the engine good and hot and it will cook any water off.
__________________
.....Leon
80 GS1000G, 83 GS1100E, 2K ZRX1100 (Tyra), 03 SV1000N(phoenix ) 14 CRF250L
focus frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
SL350
Forum Supporter
 
SL350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 12,740
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Take the plug out before starting. You really don't want to hydrolock it. Crank it and watch the water shoot out.

EDIT: I reread your post and you are good on this!

If you can tilt it, turn it on the exhaust side and let that water out.

I just went through this with Harvey on a Honda commercial push mower. I had it popping to start but I had to leave it before it was running. Trick I picked up from a local shop was to use carb cleaner to purge the fuel line to the carb.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Oh, and don't burn up the starter motor. None are capable of sustained cranking. 10 seconds bursts, no more than 3 before 30 minutes to cool.
__________________
--------

Smile


Mike
Honda CT90, SL350

Last edited by SL350; 09-13-2017 at 09:04 AM.
SL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,268
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

I have never tried it, but I have been told that you can use kerosene or diesel to flush the oil system multiple times to get it clean before you start putting oil back in the system. This is MUCH cheaper than using oil, even if you use some kind of cheap oil. I was told to install new filter, put in the diesel or kerosene, make sure the spark plug is removed, then crank the engine to get everything circulating through all the little lines and ports. Jumper cables and/or a spare battery might be needed depending on how much cranking and flushing it takes. Once you think the system is mostly clean, do the last flush with oil and then top off with fresh oil.

Diesel is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water until it becomes saturated. Of course, once you do this, you will not want to use the diesel in any motors. But it would probably still work for lighting a back yard bonfire or something similar.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
Meriden
 
Meriden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: At the back of the pack and out of the dust
Posts: 4,990
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I have never tried it, but I have been told that you can use kerosene or diesel to flush the oil system multiple times to get it clean before you start putting oil back in the system. This is MUCH cheaper than using oil, even if you use some kind of cheap oil. I was told to install new filter, put in the diesel or kerosene, make sure the spark plug is removed, then crank the engine to get everything circulating through all the little lines and ports. Jumper cables and/or a spare battery might be needed depending on how much cranking and flushing it takes. Once you think the system is mostly clean, do the last flush with oil and then top off with fresh oil.

Diesel is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water until it becomes saturated. Of course, once you do this, you will not want to use the diesel in any motors. But it would probably still work for lighting a back yard bonfire or something similar.
That's what some boat mechanics do with flooded sailboat engines.
__________________
Meriden

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter
 
E.Marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kempner, TX
Posts: 3,671
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I have never tried it, but I have been told that you can use kerosene or diesel to flush the oil system multiple times to get it clean before you start putting oil back in the system. This is MUCH cheaper than using oil, even if you use some kind of cheap oil. I was told to install new filter, put in the diesel or kerosene, make sure the spark plug is removed, then crank the engine to get everything circulating through all the little lines and ports. Jumper cables and/or a spare battery might be needed depending on how much cranking and flushing it takes. Once you think the system is mostly clean, do the last flush with oil and then top off with fresh oil.

Diesel is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water until it becomes saturated. Of course, once you do this, you will not want to use the diesel in any motors. But it would probably still work for lighting a back yard bonfire or something similar.
all correct, the only down side is, what to do with the now contaminated diesel .

and understand the diesel is really only going to absorb moisture.. That water film, that drop of watter hiding behind a boss in the engine.

the flushing of water with diesel is more using the diesel to "move" or "flush" IOW carry the water with it on the way out.... so yes 5 gal of diesel, and the motor over a large plastic tub, and repeatedly "flushing" the motor with that diesel to move the water out and absorb some along the way works pretty well.
__________________
Marquez Racing
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
wanabeguru
 
wanabeguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: RIO DELL, CA
Posts: 5,785
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

get two 12 volt batteries[ assuming its a 12 volt system] and wire them to starter independent of remaining electrics. with a TRUSTED friend, one runs controls, the other manually connects starter to 24 volt battery[two 12's in series]. short time run on old/used starter. good luck
__________________
Wally[electronics technician]
2007 RED BANDIT
wanabeguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #15
Windmill
Forum Supporter
 
Windmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Thorndale
Posts: 1,407
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabeguru View Post
get two 12 volt batteries[ assuming its a 12 volt system] and wire them to starter independent of remaining electrics. with a TRUSTED friend, one runs controls, the other manually connects starter to 24 volt battery[two 12's in series]. short time run on old/used starter. good luck
Put 24 VDC to a 12VDC starter to do what turn motor faster, wouldn't it be bad for starter? Just curious
__________________
Christianity is not a self improvement project (unknown)
Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #16
Scorch
 
Scorch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Heaven
Posts: 956
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

One step closer--turned the motor over by hand and watched the oily water squirt from the spark plug holes. I was hoping to fire it up but ended by draining the hydraulic oil (which oddly enough is just motor oil). There is no drain plug for this, just the filter, and it's draining slooowly... may take all night, so I will check to see if it is done tomorrow.
__________________
Born to run silent
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #17
wanabeguru
 
wanabeguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: RIO DELL, CA
Posts: 5,785
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill View Post
Put 24 VDC to a 12VDC starter to do what turn motor faster, wouldn't it be bad for starter? Just curious
short time run on old/used starter; last sentence of post
__________________
Wally[electronics technician]
2007 RED BANDIT

Last edited by wanabeguru; 09-14-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: add explanation
wanabeguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #18
Windmill
Forum Supporter
 
Windmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Thorndale
Posts: 1,407
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabeguru View Post
short time run on old/used starter; last sentence of post
I was just curious, suppose it spins a lot faster.
__________________
Christianity is not a self improvement project (unknown)
Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #19
SL350
Forum Supporter
 
SL350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 12,740
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

I am hoping you dont have to rebuild the carb but its a real possibility.
__________________
--------

Smile


Mike
Honda CT90, SL350
SL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:43 PM   #20
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,268
Re: Harvey wins this round: my submerged lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL350 View Post
I am hoping you dont have to rebuild the carb but its a real possibility.
That's the easy part
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-12.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.27526 seconds with 10 queries