TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
crchristo

San Antonio Lurker

Hello all!
I've been lurking here off and on for quite some time now. Gained a huge amount of knowledge being somewhat new to the dual-sport life.

Because of geography, I find myself on the pavement much more than the dirt, but I've grown to really enjoy the bumpy stuff better.

For my pavement riding I have a Victory Vision and for the other stuff, a plated KTM 450EXC.

I'm looking forward to finding more of the roads less travelled.

Chris
Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
M38A1
Administrator

Re: San Antonio Lurker

There's a growing group of SA folks who like to play dirty..... I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:16 AM   #3
crchristo

I should add.... One of my major goals of making myself known here, is to start finding some like minded adventurous people who have the knowledge and experience to safely ride mostly dirt south of the border.

I've lived in Texas for just over 10 years but I'm a Yankee. With the lack of publicly accessible non-paved riding opportunities, Texas has been a disappointment compared to states farther north or west.

I've done the Big Bend area, but for the distance I have to travel just to get there, it leaves me wanting. Mexico seems to be such a beautiful country to travel, but I'm hesitant to just strike out on my own.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
M38A1
Administrator

Everything you need to know is in here:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Richard and his crew are a great bunch of folks as are the people on the trips.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
Everything you need to know is in here:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Richard and his crew are a great bunch of folks as are the people on the trips.
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
beefsalad

Howdy neighbor.
beefsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crchristo View Post
I should add.... One of my major goals of making myself known here, is to start finding some like minded adventurous people who have the knowledge and experience to safely ride mostly dirt south of the border.

I've lived in Texas for just over 10 years but I'm a Yankee. With the lack of publicly accessible non-paved riding opportunities, Texas has been a disappointment compared to states farther north or west.

I've done the Big Bend area, but for the distance I have to travel just to get there, it leaves me wanting. Mexico seems to be such a beautiful country to travel, but I'm hesitant to just strike out on my own.
If you want to set up a time to come over to Casa Tricepilot, I can help you with a list of stuff you'll need to be agile and capable in Mexico.

We can also run though some tire and tube maintenance skills while you're here.

I can give you the rundown on opportunities in the Hill Country, Big Bend, and in Mexico to fill your hungry plate with all the dirt riding you can stand.

Send a PM if interested.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If you want to set up a time to come over to Casa Tricepilot, I can help you with a list of stuff you'll need to be agile and capable in Mexico.

We can also run though some tire and tube maintenance skills while you're here.

I can give you the rundown on opportunities in the Hill Country, Big Bend, and in Mexico to fill your hungry plate with all the dirt riding you can stand.

Send a PM if interested.
Thanks Tricepilot. I just sent a PM to you.
I appreciate the offer and look forward to taking you up on it.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
wanabeguru

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
irish66

Welcome,
I am running a rte on the st site for opies bbque in spicewood on jan 30 11 am!
irish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish66 View Post
Welcome,
I am running a rte on the st site for opies bbque in spicewood on jan 30 11 am!
Opies! I was of the opinion that Opies was hands down the best BBQ joint in Texas, and that's a big claim.

The last time I was there a few months ago though, it seemed to have lost something. Might be time to see if they're back up to snuff again.

What is the st site?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
irish66

Quote:
Opies! I was of the opinion that Opies was hands down the best BBQ joint in Texas, and that's a big claim.

The last time I was there a few months ago though, it seemed to have lost something. Might be time to see if they're back up to snuff again.

What is the st site?
Was up there in oct it was very good.
St site = st-owners.com
I am irish66 there too. Live in new braunfels
irish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #13
delbuort

Welcome to the board! Lots of great people here.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Krishnamurti
delbuort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
kickstand~prophet

Aloha from up the road. Glad to have another SA member. Great town for eats and tons of stuff to do. Do you ever camp off the bikes? We do that every month here. We also ride to eat. Pie runs,meet and greets,local events cover all the spectrum. If you like to get to know folks these are all great ways to find other folks with like interests. What is your favorite place to dine there in San Antonio? KP
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #15
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand~prophet View Post
Aloha from up the road. Glad to have another SA member. Great town for eats and tons of stuff to do. Do you ever camp off the bikes? We do that every month here. We also ride to eat. Pie runs,meet and greets,local events cover all the spectrum. If you like to get to know folks these are all great ways to find other folks with like interests. What is your favorite place to dine there in San Antonio? KP
Thanks!
San Antonio has more good restaurants than you can shake a stick at. The best one is really a matter of what you're doing and who you're with.
Never had a bad meal at Kirby's, but it's not a place I can go every week.
For an informal large group of extended family, we find ourselves at the El Bucanero off of Blanco & Mission Ridge quite often.
After work dinner & drinks - lots of choices but I find myself at the Palenque Grill off 1604 and Stone Oak Pkwy or Stonewerks at 1604 & Blanco as often as any other.
Lunch is a little hidden away Greek restaurant at Leonhardt & Nacogdoches owned by a Chinese couple and mostly ran by a Mexican couple. Go figure.

I used to hike, explore, and camp all the time with and without the bikes, but I don't do it as often anymore. 25 years as an Airborne Infantryman sort of took the thrill out of it, I guess! I did a modified Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route last summer and mostly camped for that one. Many years ago, I rode and camped all over the SE and NW US.

With work, family, and a grandson, I find myself with few opportunities to just pick up and be gone for a day or two. I usually use the Victory for my work commute, and I manage to ride the KTM locally in the numerous construction developments near the house, or occasionally make it to Zars or GSL ranches. I typically give myself about one week a year to take off on a bike somewhere. It's looking like Mexico is a good option for 2016!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #16
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Thanks!
San Antonio has more good restaurants than you can shake a stick at. The best one is really a matter of what you're doing and who you're with.
Never had a bad meal at Kirby's, but it's not a place I can go every week.
For an informal large group of extended family, we find ourselves at the El Bucanero off of Blanco & Mission Ridge quite often.
After work dinner & drinks - lots of choices but I find myself at the Palenque Grill off 1604 and Stone Oak Pkwy or Stonewerks at 1604 & Blanco as often as any other.
Lunch is a little hidden away Greek restaurant at Leonhardt & Nacogdoches owned by a Chinese couple and mostly ran by a Mexican couple. Go figure.

I used to hike, explore, and camp all the time with and without the bikes, but I don't do it as often anymore. 25 years as an Airborne Infantryman sort of took the thrill out of it, I guess! I did a modified Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route last summer and mostly camped for that one. Many years ago, I rode and camped all over the SE and NW US.

With work, family, and a grandson, I find myself with few opportunities to just pick up and be gone for a day or two. I usually use the Victory for my work commute, and I manage to ride the KTM locally in the numerous construction developments near the house, or occasionally make it to Zars or GSL ranches. I typically give myself about one week a year to take off on a bike somewhere. It's looking like Mexico is a good option for 2016!

"Lunch is a little hidden away Greek restaurant at Leonhardt & Nacogdoches owned by a Chinese couple and mostly ran by a Mexican couple. Go figure."

Now that is funny. Camped in CO and Northern NM last June and had a good time.

We just camp most times Saturday night,eat lunch Sunday then go for a ride afterwards. The best way I know to meet other riders from TWT. We will have one maybe in the Boerne area again this year so we will be close to you.
1985 Yamaha RZ350

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
Old 01-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #17
viffer07

Quote:

check upcoming rides and events, there is a mexico trip in the works now. these are very knowledgeable folks and riders.
viffer07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #18
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand~prophet View Post

We just camp most times Saturday night,eat lunch Sunday then go for a ride afterwards. The best way I know to meet other riders from TWT. We will have one maybe in the Boerne area again this year so we will be close to you.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the events but probably won't do any of the camping. Unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere, my back enjoys a bed more than my thermarest! Maybe just link up for the ride part though.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #19
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by viffer07 View Post
check upcoming rides and events, there is a mexico trip in the works now. these are very knowledgeable folks and riders.
Yup! I'm looking at things and will try to line them up so I can go on a Mexico trip this fall. That looks like an awesome time.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #20
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the events but probably won't do any of the camping. Unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere, my back enjoys a bed more than my thermarest! Maybe just link up for the ride part though.
We do camp at members homes also. Some will let us use a spare bedroom or couch or living room floor. The ride part is aways nice with Rod "The Ride Guru" leading the way.
1985 Yamaha RZ350